Hands-on video and initial review

jcastag

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
According to the specs on the phone it is not svdo so the TB seems to be the way to go for 50 more. Much more internal memory, SD card twice as much storage, bigger screen, LTE, unibody housing, kickstand. All for 50 dollars more.

Reactions: DolfanCole

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Wow, if you have an Incredible already there is absolutely no reason to get this. Nice job HTC, same OS, no new Sense, same CPU speed, etc. Verizon's new phones are crap compared to Sprint and TMobile.

jcastag

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Yup and that's exactly why the ATT Tmo merge would be bad for the industry. If it was not for the smaller carriers VZW and ATT would still be forcing blackberry on us.

anon(43138)

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Wow, if you have an Incredible already there is absolutely no reason to get this. Nice job HTC, same OS, no new Sense, same CPU speed, etc. Verizon's new phones are crap compared to Sprint and TMobile.

Especially when Sprint has a 4G Nexus S coming out for the same price, $200! Verizon needs to get off of their high horse ...

nbaresejr

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
What happened to the 16gb SD card? The video only showed just under 8 on the sd and 1.1 on the internal hard drive?

Where is the other 8 gb on the sd card. not very happy about this right now.

The thunderbolt for $50 more is looking better and better.

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Especially when Sprint has a 4G Nexus S coming out for the same price, $200! Verizon needs to get off of their high horse ...

Yeah, I wish I could switch to T-Mobile or Sprint so bad. I'm stuck on Verizon because it's through work. I guess I shouldn't complain since I don't have to pay for my service, but I want a new phone and Verizon still doesn't have anything worth upgrading to from the Incredible.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site

Not true. The global capabilities basically make this a new phone - it really oughta have a different name than Inc2.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Not true. The global capabilities basically make this a new phone - it really oughta have a different name than Inc2.

Only a small fraction of the people who buy global devices ever actually use the global capabilities. Its mostly an advertizing gimmick. Most peoplevdonr even notice. It wasmost likely added to the phone to make it more attractive to business users.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Only a small fraction of the people who buy global devices ever actually use the global capabilities. Its mostly an advertizing gimmick. Most peoplevdonr even notice. It wasmost likely added to the phone to make it more attractive to business users.

I don't agree with calling global capabilities a 'gimmick.' Global capabilities may be advertising fodder to you, but there are others who absolutely need the feature.

I was one of the people who emailed Verizon about producing a global Droid, and I'm glad we have it.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't agree with calling global capabilities a 'gimmick.' Global capabilities may be advertising fodder to you, but there are others who absolutely need the feature.

I was one of the people who emailed Verizon about producing a global Droid, and I'm glad we have it.

I nver said it wasn't an important feature (to some) but that to that vast majority (of the hundreds of thousands of those who buy these devices) they go unused and are therefore more of a gimmick. I'm glad we have the linecof global phones to even if Ipersonally have never had the opportunity to use u in nt of the devces I own or have owned. Its nice to know it is there if I ever do.

tack

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I nver said it wasn't an important feature (to some) but that to that vast majority (of the hundreds of thousands of those who buy these devices) they go unused and are therefore more of a gimmick. I'm glad we have the linecof global phones to even if Ipersonally have never had the opportunity to use u in nt of the devces I own or have owned. Its nice to know it is there if I ever do.

Be careful projecting your own experience on others. I know dozens of people I work with who use the global capabilities often, including myself. It is a not a gimmick or Verizon would not provide the phones. My company has to have this capability, as does any international company today. Verizon does this to compete as many companies would be with AT&T without the option.

For me this phone provides the first full touch screen option other than a BlackBerry with global capabilities on Verizon. The Droid 2 Global is too darn heavy and I dislike landscape keyboards. I would have liked some bumped specs (processor, LTE), but I will take it over my BlackBerry Storm2 any day. I am sure there will be better options, but I need a new phone now.

Reactions: TBolt

mturco

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I think everyone's getting a bit wrapped up in the specs. Look, it's a very decent speed upgrade from the Incredible with more RAM, a bigger screen, a front-facing camera, and (apparently) an improved rear camera. In other words, it's a great phone any way you look at it.

I hate to keep referencing Engadget's review of the Incredible S, but here's what they said in their wrap-up of the review:

What's resulted is one of the most thoroughly refined Android handsets to date, whose case is enhanced by some dashing good looks, rock solid build quality, and a camera to be proud of. The Incredible S serves as a sterling exhibit of what can be achieved when devs and designers are given the time to polish up their work instead of having to reinvent the wheel with each and every new iteration.

That's high praise, don't you think? I think it's going to be a great phone.

Reactions: TBolt

tack

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
That's high praise, don't you think? I think it's going to be a great phone.

I agree completely. It will also attract new Android customers, like me for instance. I have been stuck with a BlackBerry and will now be jumping to Android next week due to this phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC