Best phone I have ever owned

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Is 4G in your area or coming soon? If yes, then the answer is obvious.

Not necessarily,unless you're willing to go with the "JLO" extended battery you'll have to make a number of concessions/tweaks to get the most use out your Thunderbolt when it's running LTE data.My only regret about the DINC2 is that it doesn't feature SVDO. I can't understand why HTC/VZW left it off. :'(

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I guess in order to do svdo it would have to be LTE correct? The way I was understanding it was that the TB was svdo because it used the 3G to view the web while it used the 4G connection on the call. If that is the case, why couldn't you use GSM for web browsing while using CDMA for talking on the phone? I am able to browse the web while on calls when I am using wifi.

vitomins

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I guess in order to do svdo it would have to be LTE correct? The way I was understanding it was that the TB was svdo because it used the 3G to view the web while it used the 4G connection on the call. If that is the case, why couldn't you use GSM for web browsing while using CDMA for talking on the phone? I am able to browse the web while on calls when I am using wifi.

That is not the way I understood it. Although it can work that way, the Thunderbolt can also talk and surf in areas with 3G only thanks to the SVDO, I believe.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Yes the thunderbolt has a special chip for svdo which allows it to talk and surf over 3g at 1x speeds . Here is to hoping we have the hardware but waiting on the software

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Speaking of software updates....do you think we will be getting GB soon and maybe that would be rolled in with it.

Regulator

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm not elligible for an upgrade until July but I still think I am going to get this phone over the dual cores that are coming out and the LTE's.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
For me it depends on the phone but I've found great hardware is cool to have but great software is more important but that's just me

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
One minor issue I have with the phone is the boot up animation. The two flashes are side by side now and the boot animation still has one on top of the other

swenpro

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm not elligible for an upgrade until July but I still think I am going to get this phone over the dual cores that are coming out and the LTE's.

Wow, that's saying a lot. But unfortunately, I'm not seeing anything else myself that's looking that great. Will be interested to see some reviews of LG Revolution though when it comes out.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
One minor issue I have with the phone is the boot up animation. The two flashes are side by side now and the boot animation still has one on top of the other

I mentioned the flash orientation in the comments of the review when the said the back is the same.

I wonder if I am still here in a year or (gasp) on an iphone.....

INK

Banned
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
:confused:

New processor, new GPU, more ram, new camera sensor, 4" SLCD screen, way better battery life

Your phone is the Verizon evo. How does that feel?

Oh really? So are you going to call the Evo 4g a Inspire 4g and call the Inspire a Desire HD? Guess what it's the same manufacturer so of course they look alike. HTC is going to keep using that popular design, and why compare it to an Evo when its more of a Desire HD with a kickstand.

sttngagt

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Man, I went to a verizon store today to play with the 2 LTE phones out and I ended up liking this one better than them. Really hard to justify getting this when I live in an LTE area. So it's really rough!! I've had the ability to upgrade since March, still using a BB Curve 8330. It was good when I got it, but it's definitely painful to still be using it. Ugh.:(

mountaineerndixie

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure the TBolt is a beast of a phone. Those that have one, enjoy it. I would like to play with one at some point. I just got scared off by the battery consumption. I'm OCD about that topic anyway, using Juice Defender and apps similar to make things last as long as possible, and I just didn't want to deal with it this time. Moto didn't have anything great out at the moment, so.....

Although I have 4G around me it's just not that important to me. The increase in 3G speed from my OG Droid 1 to the DInc2 is really incredible. It's like getting a new speed setting the way it is. That was just an added benefit.

The size was perfect and the battery life is just the deal maker. I've never liked HTC due to being able to watch the battery indicator move like the fuel gauge on a '68 GTO but this is different. A day + with moderate-heavy use is common now. No more extended batteries in my near future, hopefully.

I think the DInc2 got forgotten in all of the TBolt marketing and for anyone looking for a great performance with great battery life should at least look at it before choosing. It's a hidden gem.

Gwail

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Man, I went to a verizon store today to play with the 2 LTE phones out and I ended up liking this one better than them. Really hard to justify getting this when I live in an LTE area. So it's really rough!! I've had the ability to upgrade since March, still using a BB Curve 8330. It was good when I got it, but it's definitely painful to still be using it. Ugh.:(

I've had my TB for about 1 1/2 months. I have a DINC2 on the way to me to swap with my TB. The 4G speed is awesome and I am in an area that is covered in 4G. My issue with the TB is its size/weight and battery. I don't like having to micro-manage every little thing to make sure I get through the day on a charge. What good is a smart phone if I can't take advantage of its smarts? I would rather have my phone last all day then upload a web page a few seconds faster.

Like I said, I expect my DINC2 to arrive any day now and I will have 2 weeks to run with it before the return policy is up. From everything I've read and from my little experience at the store, I expect to like it and trade it for my TB.

Hope this helps.

Island Droid

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Happy with the Inc2 overall except for the antenna signal. It is horrible compared to my BB Tour.

I can barely get 1 bar in my home w/ Inc2 - I would get 2 or 3 bars with the BB.

Also not too great when I am in the car in areas that should have a fine signal.

I am in an area of Massachusetts where there are usually no signal problems.

I tried the *228 roaming update did not seem to help.

Anyone else ? Any ideas?

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781