I just left blackberry and got the Incredible 2, but I miss the push email and I can't stand the grouped conversations that come in the gmail app (so happy you can disable it on the website). Is there a way to get the gmail account to be push through the stock HTC mail app? During the day, I use Outlook so the emails are never in the mail app in case I want to work on them when I leave the office.

Any help would be appreciated...thanks!
    05-06-2011 11:27 AM
    GMail is push in the standard GMail app. However, you can also setup push GMail as an Exchange Activesync Account. Add the account and put:

- your gmail address as the email and user name
    - m.google.com as the server
    - no domain

Not sure why you would want to do this unless you hate the separate GMail app.
    05-06-2011 11:47 AM
    well to be fair, the gmail app doesn't do a great job of pushing email. several times both on this phone and on a droid pro, i had to manually refresh to get emails that i was expecting. i usually get emails all throughout the day, so when hours went by without an email i would open up my gmail app and check to see nothing there. then manually refresh only to be flooded with lots of late emails that had already been timestamped 3-4 hours earlier. so @ the OP i understand your frustration as i'm coming from blackberry also and the biggest thing i am still missing is real push email. i've read posts saying that autosync needs to be on and other posts even saying you need to make sure you are logged into/running gtalk. hopefully that will help you too. push seems to work most of the time, but its not at all near what real push email should look like. here's to hoping google works on that.
    05-06-2011 12:03 PM
    Yes, I hate the Gmail app, mostly because of the conversations, but also because the emails are taken off the server when I use Outlook. I've tried to leave the emails on the server through Outlook, but that doesn't seem to work.
    05-06-2011 02:10 PM
    is your outlook setup for pop? if its using gmail as imap, then it shouldn't be taking them off the server. and even with pop, you should be able to change the setting from your gmail account to leave a copy on gmail server. but yeah, it would be a simple thing to setup your account on outlook as an imap account instead of a pop account.
    05-06-2011 02:27 PM
    Yes, it's set up as a POP account. When I go into settings, I have the boxed checked that says leave message on server. For some reason, it still doesn't leave them there.

I also set it up through Activesync, it seems to work fine when the phone is on, but I am charging it now and I had to open the mail app for the new emails to show up.
    05-06-2011 02:39 PM
    well to be fair, the gmail app doesn't do a great job of pushing email. several times both on this phone and on a droid pro, i had to manually refresh to get emails that i was expecting. i usually get emails all throughout the day, so when hours went by without an email i would open up my gmail app and check to see nothing there. then manually refresh only to be flooded with lots of late emails that had already been timestamped 3-4 hours earlier. so @ the OP i understand your frustration as i'm coming from blackberry also and the biggest thing i am still missing is real push email. i've read posts saying that autosync needs to be on and other posts even saying you need to make sure you are logged into/running gtalk. hopefully that will help you too. push seems to work most of the time, but its not at all near what real push email should look like. here's to hoping google works on that.
    I understand. Overall I find the iPhone and BlackBerry to do Activesync and push better than my Droid. I hope that is something Google works on in later builds. Android is way behind in Exchange support. I don't want to use a 3rd party app like Touchdown. I think it should be integrated. This is the one area where I miss my BlackBerry for sure.
    bik2101 likes this.
    05-06-2011 02:39 PM
    I understand. Overall I find the iPhone and BlackBerry to do Activesync and push better than my Droid. I hope that is something Google works on in later builds. Android is way behind in Exchange support. I don't want to use a 3rd party app like Touchdown. I think it should be integrated. This is the one area where I miss my BlackBerry for sure.
    ditto to that.
    05-06-2011 02:50 PM
    Tack, you explained what to do. Set up gmail as an exchange account. It works flawlessly. Not sure what the issues is.
    05-06-2011 03:32 PM
    well to me the issue is that if google is going to claim that Gmail is "push" and not pull, then it should "push" correctly. it's just something we have to accept, that's all.
    05-06-2011 05:12 PM
    I never have problems getting my email quickly and I used to have blackberry too

sent from my Incredible using tapatalk
    05-07-2011 02:00 AM
    Tack, you explained what to do. Set up gmail as an exchange account. It works flawlessly. Not sure what the issues is.
    I am mainly referring to the support for Exchange security, tasks, notes, etc. The support is minimal in Android.
    05-07-2011 07:36 AM