HTC Inc2. Task manager?

fitpays

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
hey guys. i previously had a samsung fascinate. due to continued problems with my screen, Verizon gave me a new HTC Incredible 2. so far I am really pleased with it. the only concern I have is that my old phone, the facscinate, had a Task manager installed on it from the factory and it worked great. There was a Power Manager widget that could be placed on the home screen. it would show when anything was running and its battery usage. I had originally had advanced task killer installed on it, but it showed all kinds of false readings. it would say things were running but they were not.

the HTC incredible 2 does not have an app on it from the factory like this, so i downloaded an app called "free advanced task manager". every time i check to see what is running, it is telling me there are 15 things running. I really do not think there are 15 things running. I am worried that this app is actually using more juice and resources than it is saving me. I believe it is giving me false readings like the old "ATK" advanced task killer was giving me on my old phone. I did a search on here but really did not find any help.

can you guys please help me out with some suggestions on a better app or how to turn more stuff off without it coming right back on?

I really loved my fascinate, but this device seems even better. I just got on here for the first time since i got the htc inc2, and I see 90 percent of the threads are complaints. very discouraging. I agree the speaker sucks when phone is on speaker phone, but otherwise I really like it!

Thanks for any help on this task/battery situation. Any quick tips on other cool apps for it would be greatly appreciated as well.

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Search around this and other forums and you'll see that nerds in the know are very thumbs down on task killers these days. Apparently they cause more trouble than they fix and just force a lot of things to restart, killing more juice. I kind of lost interest in digging deeper than that but the general idea is don't use them. Sooo I don't.

But I love the Elixir app, the widget for which offers, among many other very useful things, a widget-ette that shows the number of running processes, and if you tap that, it takes you to the standard screen for that app otherwise available through the Settings > Applications menu. And there you can use the built-in Force Stop button if you want to kill something. I'm sometimes surprised that anything is running. Like maybe I use Urbanspoon or a music app and then click out of it and am just back at my home screen, and why should it still be running? Not sure, but it is. So I don't really feel the need to kill the processes since battery life isn't a problem with this phone, but sometimes I do anyway I suppose just out of OCD.

So I guess that's similar to a task killer, but whatevs.

Sugrat

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
I've been running my Inc 2 from day one without any task manager type utils and had zero issues with memory etc.

I would probably recommend a reboot now and then just to make sure that everything is working ok, i just reboot my phone probably about every 10 days or so (if i remember...)

lauranelli

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
hey guys. i previously had a samsung fascinate. due to continued problems with my screen, Verizon gave me a new HTC Incredible 2. so far I am really pleased with it. the only concern I have is that my old phone, the facscinate, had a Task manager installed on it from the factory and it worked great. There was a Power Manager widget that could be placed on the home screen. it would show when anything was running and its battery usage. I had originally had advanced task killer installed on it, but it showed all kinds of false readings. it would say things were running but they were not.

the HTC incredible 2 does not have an app on it from the factory like this, so i downloaded an app called "free advanced task manager". every time i check to see what is running, it is telling me there are 15 things running. I really do not think there are 15 things running. I am worried that this app is actually using more juice and resources than it is saving me. I believe it is giving me false readings like the old "ATK" advanced task killer was giving me on my old phone. I did a search on here but really did not find any help.

can you guys please help me out with some suggestions on a better app or how to turn more stuff off without it coming right back on?

I really loved my fascinate, but this device seems even better. I just got on here for the first time since i got the htc inc2, and I see 90 percent of the threads are complaints. very discouraging. I agree the speaker sucks when phone is on speaker phone, but otherwise I really like it!

Thanks for any help on this task/battery situation. Any quick tips on other cool apps for it would be greatly appreciated as well.
Just like you, I had the Fascinate and had continuous screen freezes and etc, so I now am waiting on my HTC Inc 2. I'm excited, but nervous, I loved the Fascinate when it behaved. Glad to hear you love this new one. And I am thankful for all of the information you all put on here for help!!! :)

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I hear task managers are bad, but what do you do when you have an app that appears running in the background and seems to be using up your battery power while not using it???

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I liked the task manager on my Droid 2 Global. But as many have posted, Android doesn't really need a task manager. The OS does a pretty good job managing resources. Just because an app is listed as running doesn't mean it is consuming resources. I use Watchdog. It lets me know if I have a rogue app like WSJ mobile. In these cases, it is specific apps that are causing the problem. Generally, you don't need it.

desertopal

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
SystemPanel by NextApp,inc in the market will show you what is running & what it's using. You can set it up to monitor over time. Monitoring does use a little juice, read the reviews. It is a good way to learn about your phone.

garrettfarnum

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Android controls all things that "run" in the background. By killing those tasks, it forces android to run the CPU harder to fill that gap in memory back up. Your battery life and phone will be better if you don't kill tasks running in the background.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech