Do you need VZW location service turned on

kat89447#AC

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I've used both, and I think Google Nav is the better app. It seems more accurate and I like the fact that Google doesn't see the reason to charge for it.

fillossofer

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I was under the impression that VZW location services were used when a GPS fix cannot be established, such as when you're in a building. When I just turned off the VZW location service, my weather widget showed the wrong location (not far off, but a pretty good distance). Now I turned it back on and it went back to where I am. So, in my unscientific test, the VZW location services do power other location based apps besides VZ Navigator.

They determine your location by triangulating your position in relation to cell towers, I believe.

Reactions: chassum

chassum

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I was under the impression that VZW location services were used when a GPS fix cannot be established, such as when you're in a building. When I just turned off the VZW location service, my weather widget showed the wrong location (not far off, but a pretty good distance). Now I turned it back on and it went back to where I am. So, in my unscientific test, the VZW location services do power other location based apps besides VZ Navigator.

They determine your location by triangulating your position in relation to cell towers, I believe.

That's what I was hoping it was, but haven't really read up on it.
thanks all.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Don't waste your 9.99 a month for VZ Navigation. I had it on BB but since can have Google voice navigation free no sense to me to be forking out bucks. I actually prefer Google.

sent from my Incredible using tapatalk

DeliriousGA

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site

That's correct. It isn't a necessary service, but if you want to use location when you are indoors for Poynt, a weather app, etc. you will need the VZW location turned on to do it. If you just search by zip code then you don't need any of the location services on.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12