World Phone??

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Need some info before the 15th, Holiday return deadline for current phone. Someones gotta have something... Come on HTC cough something up!!!

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Need some info before the 15th, Holiday return deadline for current phone. Someones gotta have something... Come on HTC cough something up!!!
Hopefully CES will bring the good news. What did you buy that you may return? What are you hoping for in the fireball?

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

Keep in mind the rezound had the same "O" under world phone and the rezound is not a world phone. If this phone packs the brand new MSM8960 snapdragon though world phone capability could easily be incorporated. I hope it has that chip, a qwerty keyboard and ICS. I would buy it on day one (assuming they don't manage to screw it some other way).

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind the rezound had the same "O" under world phone and the rezound is not a world phone. If this phone packs the brand new MSM8960 snapdragon though world phone capability could easily be incorporated. I hope it has that chip, a qwerty keyboard and ICS. I would buy it on day one (assuming they don't manage to screw it some other way).

Remember how Froyo phones were still being released even though Gingerbread existed? That's how it's gonna be with Gingerbread phones in the days of ICS. Remember that these phones are planned, produced, and tested at least 6 months prior to release. While that phone you described sounds awesome, I wouldn't hold my breath.

dono222

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

Rezound is a world phone. Even though Verizon says it's not. Some users also tested and it works. From what I've read they say HTC confirmed. Voice and messaging works; data may have problems.

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Rezound is a world phone. Even though Verizon says it's not. Some users also tested and it works. From what I've read they say HTC confirmed. Voice and messaging works; data may have problems.
Oh wow, I had no idea. Is is even SIM locked?

Im hoping somebody will visit the HTC booth at CES soon..

barthawk

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
That would be great. I have a Droid 2 Global and it's wearing out. I really want an LTE capable phone that can work overseas.

When I look at the FCC stuff that people think is related to the HTC Fireball/Incredible 4G it looks like they are only testing it for CDMA frequencies, and not GSM - so does that mean that it won't be a world phone, or does it mean that the FCC is only testing it for CDMA because that's all that will be used in the US?

http://cdn.slashgear.com/wp-content...zon-HTC-Droid-Incredible-4G-Fireball-FCC.jpeg

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
That would be a shame cuz aside from the feel and size, that was the main reason i got this thing. A phone is a tool. And it sucks if u can't use this tool everywhere.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

rinnr1

Press ALT-F4 to see nudes
May 12, 2010
Visit site
Call me an idiot, but - what does "World Phone" mean? Does that just mean it can be used on any wireless provider?
World phone means it will work on CDMA and GSM networks so you can take it over seas buy a SIM card and it will work on whatever network that is in that country.

Pete7874

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Bump!

Any more updates on this phone's "global ready" capabilities? I was at a Verizon store yesterday, and the sales people were claiming that the hardware can support it, but Verizon hasn't released a software version yet to officially enable it and there is no date of such a release?

Do you guys think Verizon is playing games on purpose in order to steer potential buyers to more expensive devices (such as Moto Razr) if they want a "global ready" device? Is there hope that Dinc 4G will become "global ready"?

I've got 2 months left before I'm eligible for an upgrade and the Razr is just too big. Dinc 4G would have been perfect size if only it became "global ready".

sboeckman

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Bump!

Any more updates on this phone's "global ready" capabilities? I was at a Verizon store yesterday, and the sales people were claiming that the hardware can support it, but Verizon hasn't released a software version yet to officially enable it and there is no date of such a release?

Do you guys think Verizon is playing games on purpose in order to steer potential buyers to more expensive devices (such as Moto Razr) if they want a "global ready" device? Is there hope that Dinc 4G will become "global ready"?

I've got 2 months left before I'm eligible for an upgrade and the Razr is just too big. Dinc 4G would have been perfect size if only it became "global ready".

Hey Peeps!

I knew this phone would not disappoint! Here is what I found on XDA site:

GSM Works on DINC4G, Here is how to do it... - xda-developers

Big thanks to XDA Broose for figuring this out!!

Broose wrote: "I was curious because I heard that the Droid Incredible 4G has a GSM radio in it so I did an experiment. I used a T-mobile micro SIM. I used the 4GLTE switch app for the Thunderbolt to access the hidden menu and I changed the radio mode to one that included GSM/W-CDMA. I popped in my T-mobile SIM and, presto, I got a T-mobile signal. I tested and I was able to make and receive calls and text messages. I had to manually set the APN for data to epc.tmobile.com and now I have EDGE data. I am sure an AT&T Sim will get HSPA+. The GSM appears unlocked now but hard to access. I am afraid, however, that once Verizon releases the update to make GSM roaming available, that it will be locked. Anyway, for now, you can pop in a GSM SIM and use your phone native."

nitsuj17 wrote: "if its like verizon other global settings (inc2) you can request the unlock code from them (they ll give you crap about using their intl plans first, but just yell until someone does it)"

Pete7874

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
How would I get a mini SIM from Verizon? I'm guessing they won't just give me one if their records show that my phone (Dinc 4g) does not officially support gsm...

Pete7874

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I was just chatting with a VZ rep online and was told that Verizon has already released a software update, thus making Dinc 4G global ready. Can anyone confirm/deny?

I asked her for a software version number which enables this, but she wasn't able to provide it.

Flur

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
How would I get a mini SIM from Verizon? I'm guessing they won't just give me one if their records show that my phone (Dinc 4g) does not officially support gsm...

I don't think you can use LTE data without a mini SIM, so your phone likely has one installed already. The rep should have put it in when they set up your phone.

Pete7874

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Oh, OK. I haven't actually bought it yet. I didn't realize they all come with a mini-SIM installed, regardless if they're global ready or not. Thanks!

And the XDA folks said that VZ hasn't pushed any updates to make the phone officially global ready. That VZ rep I chatted with must have been full of sh***.