Am I the only one who cares about this thing coming out?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I think people are just starting to expect high end Android phones to have 4.3" or larger screens. I don't think this is a high end phone though, seems like a mid range and hopefully it's priced that way. Apple couple probably put a 3" screen on the next iphone and a lot of people would still go crazy over it.

Do you consider the HTC Rezound a high-end phone?

draco1986

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Do people still consider the Droid Razr a high end phone? Outside of a 50mha battery increase and a .3" bigger screen, the Dinc LTE is better than the Razr... S4 processor clocked the same as the Razr, better camera, NFC, Beats Audio, and it comes with ICS. So maybe it isn't as high end as the other One (X or S)/Evo HTC phones, but compared to the phone that VZW wants everyone to have it's much better.

Trentoncc24

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Do people still consider the Droid Razr a high end phone? Outside of a 50mha battery increase and a .3" bigger screen, the Dinc LTE is better than the Razr... S4 processor clocked the same as the Razr, better camera, NFC, Beats Audio, and it comes with ICS. So maybe it isn't as high end as the other One (X or S)/Evo HTC phones, but compared to the phone that VZW wants everyone to have it's much better.

+ 1

Is this the first 4 inch screen lte phone? Or just the first one worth paying attention to?

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I want this phone now. This is a Dinc 2 form factor with EVERYTHING upgraded - 8 GB internal memory, 1 GB ram, 1.2 Dual Core S4 with integrated LTE, 4.0" qHD screen (right now, there are NO 4.0" 720 screens so this is the highest res screen on a 4.0 inch display (SLC2 so no pentile like the Razr), NFC, probably a world phone (not confirmed), ICS with Sense 4.0 (I happen to like Sense 2.1 on Dinc 2), larger battery (1700) - this has high end specs - don't tell me it needs a 1.5 CPU like the X/S series - doesn't need it with a 4.0 qHD screen. I guess you could be upset with only 8 GB internal memory (but microSD makes up for that).

draco1986

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
+ 1

Is this the first 4 inch screen lte phone? Or just the first one worth paying attention to?

The only others I can think of are the Lucid, not even close to the Dinc LTE, and the D4 which is nice but in almost every way falls a little short of the Dinc LTE, except for physical keyboard for those who feel they need it.

NightxFall

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
The only others I can think of are the Lucid, not even close to the Dinc LTE, and the D4 which is nice but in almost every way falls a little short of the Dinc LTE, except for physical keyboard for those who feel they need it.

The Droid 4's screen is absolutely horrendous. I was going to buy it til I saw it in person and the most important thing in a phone to me is the screen.
The Lucid is pretty nice, the screen is actually very good on it.

I hope you're all prepared to wait possibly months for this phone to come out, because this is what might happen.

3rdpig

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is preparing their new shared data plans, don't expect to see any new smart phones appear until the new plans are in place. Welcome to the end of unlimited data.

Reactions: angiebugg

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is preparing their new shared data plans, don't expect to see any new smart phones appear until the new plans are in place. Welcome to the end of unlimited data.

Unfortunately, it sure seems like that's the plan for VZW since there hasn't been a new phone since the end of last year (2011) which is going on 6 months now (the Lucid doesn't count since it's definitely a mid range phone - LTE, Dual core (last gen S4), WVGA screen (not even qHD) and mid range price $79 - nice phone for the price but no Dinc 4GLTE. I'm anxious for this phone to come out BEFORE the new shared plans so I can get at least a couple more years of unlimited data before I have to make a choice between full price upgrades or tiered data. While I know Verizon is slow to get new phones (I think the CDMA stuff from GSM is a lot harder engineering than most people would like to credit - I don't (until now) think that Sprint/Verizon intentionally delay phones just for the sake of delay. Also, I think the ICS update has been much, much harder than the OEMs and carriers thought. If not, why would any OEM release a Gingerbread phone (see the Lucid) 5 months after ICS was released.

draco1986

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, it sure seems like that's the plan for VZW since there hasn't been a new phone since the end of last year (2011) which is going on 6 months now (the Lucid doesn't count since it's definitely a mid range phone - LTE, Dual core (last gen S4), WVGA screen (not even qHD) and mid range price $79 - nice phone for the price but no Dinc 4GLTE. I'm anxious for this phone to come out BEFORE the new shared plans so I can get at least a couple more years of unlimited data before I have to make a choice between full price upgrades or tiered data. While I know Verizon is slow to get new phones (I think the CDMA stuff from GSM is a lot harder engineering than most people would like to credit - I don't (until now) think that Sprint/Verizon intentionally delay phones just for the sake of delay. Also, I think the ICS update has been much, much harder than the OEMs and carriers thought. If not, why would any OEM release a Gingerbread phone (see the Lucid) 5 months after ICS was released.

If they wait too long I may switch to Sprint or T-mo, or worse go to big blue because they at least get new HTC devices on a regular basis.

NightxFall

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
The big thing is: Why delay the phone for the shared data plans?
Ok, your answer is probably: Clearly to get people off the unlimited data.

Now think about this: How many people are already due for an upgrade, and are holding out on upgrading just for this phone? How many of those think this phone is worth losing their unlimited data? A very small portion of their customer base. This would only piss people off just to piss them off, no other reason. The shared data plans are meant to affect people who are due for an upgrade after it takes effect.
Also think about this: If Verizon has not released a high end phone since the beginning of the year due to the shared data plans, and they will also delay this phone(mind you its considered midrange) for this reason, why did they state at CTIA that we would see this phone in the coming weeks?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
There would be a delay if they missed a launch date. AFAIK, no firm release date has been announced yet.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

NightxFall

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
There would be a delay if they missed a launch date. AFAIK, no firm release date has been announced yet.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

No launch date, but numerous leaks and evidence showed they planned to release the phone on May 17, which didn't happen due to the customs issue.
We have a time frame however, which is "in the coming weeks", so if it misses that (June 7), it means its been delayed.

draco1986

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
No launch date, but numerous leaks and evidence showed they planned to release the phone on May 17, which didn't happen due to the customs issue.
We have a time frame however, which is "in the coming weeks", so if it misses that (June 7), it means its been delayed.

At that point we'll be at 4 weeks since the phone was made official w/o an official release date, and people who waited for this may just wait till the Droid Fighter (or whatever it's called) comes out. Or worse for VZW, the people who would have bought this may just wait till their contract is up and jump over to Sprint for the EVO LTE or another carrier for their One device.

NightxFall

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
At that point we'll be at 4 weeks since the phone was made official w/o an official release date, and people who waited for this may just wait till the Droid Fighter (or whatever it's called) comes out. Or worse for VZW, the people who would have bought this may just wait till their contract is up and jump over to Sprint for the EVO LTE or another carrier for their One device.
I don't want the Droid Razr HD, the Razr's are uncomfortable to hold in hand, and I like HTC devices. A lot of people who are looking into this phone simply like HTC. I'm sure many people, including myself, will wait for this phone until they announce a date for their shared data plans. In that case, yes I'll be jumping to Sprint.

draco1986

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't want the Droid Razr HD, the Razr's are uncomfortable to hold in hand, and I like HTC devices. A lot of people who are looking into this phone simply like HTC. I'm sure many people, including myself, will wait for this phone until they announce a date for their shared data plans. In that case, yes I'll be jumping to Sprint.

I'm waiting to see what happens with the shared data for sure, my wife and I don't use more than a combined 3GB of mobile data. So if we can save $10-20 per month I won't complain. If the shared data plans aren't worth it then I'm probably going to have to go back to AT&T, something I though would never cross my mind...

As for the Droid Razr HD (or whatever it's going to be called) I'm interested but I want more info before I would truly consider it. The Dinc gives me almost everything I would want, and the specs that it doesn't have aren't deal breakers for me.

Something I think we can all agree on is VZW needs to give us the details on the shared data, and release info for this phone, I would pre-order it if we could.

hazardouse21

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Like many others it seems, if they don't announce anything soon I will likely end up waiting for my contract to end and switching carriers.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I had thought about switching but those I know on Sprint get dropped calls a lot and customer service isn't the best. I have awhile but might just decide to pay retail . I love my bolt and my service.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

draco1986

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully tomorrow will be the day, there just isn't anything to get excited about on VZW, since they like to release phones on Thursdays. Everyone else already has their new HTC!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca