How I got 2 Dinc 4g for $199 and kept Unlimited Data w/o upg. fee

sboeckman

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I am sorry I did not post this sooner but I was was fuming over Verizon's trap to get us into their new data plans. Although it is too late to help anyone I will post this anyway and maybe it will give some of you some ideas for the future. By the way I am a former Verizon employee.

I was eligible for upgrade in December and out of contract in April and am still rocking the original Incredible. I was planning on waiting for the 4g Incredible and like so many others saw no benefit to Verizon's new shared data and was not willing to lose my unlimited.

Here is what I did:

1. I researched which phones have the highest resale value online at full retail (non-contract) price. My research concluded it is currently the Samsung S3 with an average selling price $648 (according to eBay).

2. I have two lines, each with the original Incredible and I have the extended warranties. I called Verizon and got them to replace both Incredible's under the warranty. I will sell these two factory refurbished phones as a pair with all the extra batteries and accessories on eBay for an estimated $200. Which is conservative and I will probably get a little more.

3. I have 2 lines of service so before the 28th I pre-ordered 2 S3s. I purchased them at $199.99 plus Verizon's we're making record profits and paid no taxes on our income and need to charge our long-term customers $30 to upgrade their phones fee! Totaling $229.99

4. I am currently selling them through auctions on eBay and the auctions closed at $580 to be shipped to the winner as soon as Verizon ships them. Totaling $1140 in proceeds from my auction.

5. I purchase the Incredible 4g at full retail at Verizon and bill it to my account when it is released. Full retail is expected to be 549.99.

6. Pay the bill for with proceeds from auctions totaling $1140.

Net cost of BOTH new Incredible 4g Phones = 199.99 (not including taxes)

It is a lot of buying and selling and a small amount of risk but I ended up getting the equivalent of Buy One Get One Free Incredible 4G phones with waived $30 upgrade Fee and I kept my Unlimited Data for at least the next 2 years. At which I am sure Verizon will figure out a new creative way screw its loyalest customers. All in all I am a happy camper.

UPDATE: eBay buyer had to cancel which worked to my benefit I now re-sold the 2 Samsung at $598 each

Original purchase of Samsung Galaxy S3 and up fee@ 229.99x 2=459.98
Sold for $1196- 459.98=$736.02 net profit on sale of S3s
Sold 2 Incredible for $200+736.02=$936.02 total net profit
Purchased 2 Incredible 4g 549.99x2=$1099.98

$1099.98-936.02=$163.96 net cost for 2 Incredible 4g with fees and kept my Unlimited Data.

The best part of this is I did it all within Verizon guidelines and it is all perfectly legal. It is a little work but it worked and that's all I care about.

Now for why I went with the Incredible 4g instead of the Galaxy S3 which a bunch of you traitors are jumping ship for:

1. Although we are waiting for confirmation but sources indicate that the Dinc 4g comes with an under-clocked S4 processor that is identical to the Galaxy S3

2. The screen is only .8" bigger "diagonally" which honestly I couldn't care less about because the overall difference it makes in the size of the phone makes it uncomfortable to keep in my pocket.

3. The pixel density is negligibly more than the dinc 4g but on a larger screen. This means the qHD screen will look just as sharp in 4" as the Galaxy S3 in 4.8".

4. The memory is double in galaxy S3 which I like. Galaxy wins here.

5. The larger screen will likely take up any processing/ memory benefit seen in galaxy S3 and will be side by side comparable in performance. Larger screen with, although negligible, more pixels and more pixels equal more processor power to run.

6. The best selling phone on the market is the iPhone. People like it for its size and abilities. This is the first phone that compares in capability yet remains a manageable phone size (unless your a lady that carries a purse in which case you should get the Galaxy Note anyway).

7. The battery difference of 300mAh is also negligible considering the additional power needed to power the larger screen. Granted you may see a small benefit to the extra miliamps but this is likely not going to be a noticeable difference.

8. TouchWiz sucks. Sense 4.0 rocks. I almost would have considered the Galaxy S3 if they had a stable version of Sense 4.0 for it but considering as of now they have not created a stable version for the Galaxy S2, I am not betting it is going to happen anytime soon.

I hope I have contributed something for the awesome people here to think about and look forward to the discussion that follows.

Last edited:

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: How I got 2 Dinc 4g for $199 and kept Unlimited Data w/o upg.

Your title is definitely misleading. You DID pay an upgrade fee and didnt really beat the system, you just took the long way around. You also had to pay $460 for both phones, making your total net profit $700 if both sold at $580, in turn making you still have to shell out another $1100. This is definitely costing you more than $199 for 2 devices.

sboeckman

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site

Your title is definitely misleading. You DID pay an upgrade fee and didnt really beat the system, you just took the long way around. You also had to pay $460 for both phones, making your total net profit $700 if both sold at $580, in turn making you still have to shell out another $1100. This is definitely costing you more than $199 for 2 devices.

I was not misleading. In the title I say I got 2 4g Dincs for less than $200 and kept my unlimited data and that is exactly what I did. Just because you were looking for something else doesn't mean I misled you. Plus your math is way off see below:

UPDATE: eBay buyer had to cancel which worked to my benefit I now re-sold the 2 Samsung at $598 each

Original purchase of Samsung Galaxy S3 and up fee@ 229.99x 2=459.98
Sold for $1196- 459.98=$736.02 net profit on sale of S3s
Sold 2 Incredible for $200+736.02=$936.02 total net profit
Purchased 2 Incredible 4g 549.99x2=$1099.98

$1099.98-936.02=$163.96 net cost for 2 Incredible 4g with fees and kept my Unlimited Data.

The best part of this is I did it all within Verizon guidelines and it is all perfectly legal. It is a little work but it worked and that's all I care about.

fsiddique

May 13, 2010
Visit site

Or you just do what I did:

I ordered the Galaxy Nexus last week (on the 27th) Verizon just let me swap for this phone a few minutes ago. I got dinged with the $35 restocking fee, but IT DOES NOT AFFECT YOUR CONTRACT since they process it as an exchange so I get to keep my unlimited!

sboeckman

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site

Or you just do what I did:

I ordered the Galaxy Nexus last week (on the 27th) Verizon just let me swap for this phone a few minutes ago. I got dinged with the $35 restocking fee, but IT DOES NOT AFFECT YOUR CONTRACT since they process it as an exchange so I get to keep my unlimited!

That is really interesting because that it what I originally wanted to do but everyone at Verizon said that it would result in losing my unlimited data. I even asked friends that work at Verizon. I did sort of think twice because I remember when I worked there that there was different ways of processing a transaction for different reasons. I imagine it is just a matter of saying the right thing and getting a rep that really knows what they are doing. I still made out though, I ended up getting my phones for next to nothing and covered the fees with my ebay auctions.

I love my new Dinc 4g. Its the perfect size, blazing fast, and I love Sense 4.0! It dwarfs my OG Incredible, I just can't imagine carrying around some of the phones that are popular right now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08