04-25-2010 06:47 PM
29 12
tools
    This may just be a thought but with more phones like the eris, hero, incredible, desire, legend updates may come more quickly. Before there was only two brands with sense now there are more, and many more on the way. HTC has to put more into keeping the phones current because Sense is such a big part of their line up. I do hope HTC does throw more resources into keeping the OS current and not let it fall behind. Another positive is also sense is the first to upgrade to 2.1. MOTO blur has not or the Sony UI. So it seems as the custom UI goes sense is on its game.
    04-25-2010 04:49 PM
    I was just wondering how deep does sense actually go into android. Does sense actually go real deep into the code or is it just a few tweeks and such. does htc have to spend alot of resources to keep sense current or is it a easy undertaking for HTC. Is it easier to update sense than lets say timescape or motoblur. I was just wondering. Also hopefully 2.2 will build off 2.1 so it will be a quicker update.
    04-25-2010 05:41 PM
    All this talk of updates leads me to believe people have lost any perspective of the components making up the smartphone.

Android can be updated without any changes necessary to Sense, Helix, Gmail or any other application. The same rules apply to application updates without updates to OS.

While Verizon may have caused some delays in the 2.1 update these were probably due to logistical problems in how the update would be delivered to customers. Without causing problems with service.

How much time was the update delayed by Motorola....who knows? May they speak up please. The ideal platform would allow all but major updates almost trivial. In most cases the update could be performed without Motorola's involvement period. Hence this would be called a minor revision and the android kernel most likely would not be touched so all hardware should function as normal. With a major revision 1.6 - 2.0 changes to the kernel and or core services may require hardware driver revisions which then may require the hardware vendor to get involved -in this case motorola.

HTC Sense.....should allow for minor revisions without the necessity for HTC to become involved. Surely hardware and software engineers for such a major company would allow for such problems.

So if a major revision is released it would seem that all of the above mentioned parties may get involved to keep their respective software and/or hardware running appropriately. Naturally the more parties involved the longer the update takes. To add or subtract from that time you would have to factor in Device Life, Popularity, etc.....

Just my two-cents.
    04-25-2010 06:30 PM
    I was just wondering how deep does sense actually go into android. Does sense actually go real deep into the code or is it just a few tweeks and such. does htc have to spend alot of resources to keep sense current or is it a easy undertaking for HTC. Is it easier to update sense than lets say timescape or motoblur. I was just wondering. Also hopefully 2.2 will build off 2.1 so it will be a quicker update.
    it should be about as complex as updating the other custom versions of android, it does seem as though HTC does indeed change a lot of the underlying parts of the OS, but with the rumored change to the update process in future builds of android, i'm really hoping for a speedy update process.

hopefully it's just verizon that is going to be the bottleneck, in which case, we should be able to at least get some leaked builds onto our devices.
    04-25-2010 06:47 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD