To anyone who has the phone have you used the optical sensor as the D pad?

I know that on the Nexus you could move the ball in the direction you would want the game to move and release it when you needed it to stop.
    04-24-2010 01:56 PM
    from what i've read, the incredible doesn't have an optical trackpad like the newer blackberrys do, but rather it's some kind of joystick type device, so i would assume it would work fine as a dpad.
    04-24-2010 05:08 PM
    from what i've read, the incredible doesn't have an optical trackpad like the newer blackberrys do, but rather it's some kind of joystick type device, so i would assume it would work fine as a dpad.
    Can someone who has this already confirm? Sounds interesting as I thought it would work like the Blackberrys sensor.
    04-25-2010 10:37 PM
    i remembered where i read it.

boy genius calls it an "optical directional pad"

but yes, i'd like to hear from the lucky few what they think of it and how it feels.
    04-26-2010 01:12 AM
    If the optical directional pad is similar to using a joystick, then the blackberry track pad is...wait, for some reason I feel compelled to go buy a new pair of shoes!
    04-26-2010 04:14 AM
    it moves around with ur finger so i would tend to say its more optical
    04-26-2010 08:14 AM
    I was lucky and got mine last Wednesday. The ringed outer part is the push button and the small inner black part is an optical track pad. It is strange. I have only used it to navigate left/right between the screen and to test how it works in a list like the settings. I don't see myself using it much unless I get an app that works better with it instead of the touchscreen.
    04-26-2010 11:32 AM
    I was lucky and got mine last Wednesday. The ringed outer part is the push button and the small inner black part is an optical track pad. It is strange. I have only used it to navigate left/right between the screen and to test how it works in a list like the settings. I don't see myself using it much unless I get an app that works better with it instead of the touchscreen.
    can you download an app like the nes emulator and see how it works as a d-pad? i think that's what the OP is concerned with
    04-26-2010 01:24 PM
    can you download an app like the nes emulator and see how it works as a d-pad? i think that's what the OP is concerned with
    Wait.... a NES emulator? Is that even legal?
    05-17-2010 10:17 AM
    Wait.... a NES emulator? Is that even legal?
    Yes. The roms might be more of a "gray" area.
    05-17-2010 11:17 AM
    I tried it with NESoid and was not happy with it as a D- pad. Maybe I need to use it more, but it just wasn't working the way you think it would. I stuck with the on screen controls, which aren't great either.

Aside from the crappy battery, this is one of the few downsides to this device.
    05-17-2010 11:31 AM
    I also tried NESoid and the optical trackpad doesn't work as you would think. For example in a game like super mario to move across the screen from left to right you would have to continue to swipe your thumb across the trackpad over and over and over and over.... Not very practical. Does work good for games like pacman and such where you make single directional movements.
    05-17-2010 04:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD