I've searched and searched and have only found bits and pieces so I have a few questions which I'm hoping you guys can answer.

I'm currently a Storm user anxiously looking forward to my first Droid.

How does Android handle the following:

Yahoo Mail - I've read up a bit and I think with the Android 2.1 release, Yahoo Mail is now supported so you don't have to do the GMail forwarding technique, etc...? Is that correct?

Yahoo Contacts and Calendar Sync:
    1. Is it supported out of the box?
    2. Is it supported via 3rd party apps?
    3. If not, is my only option to start using GMail and its calendar and contacts functionality?
    4. I'm assuming Android syncs GMail contacts and Calendar, no?

I've had my current Yahoo address for 13 years so I'm hesitant to change but I will if I absolutely have to.

Thanks in advance.
    04-25-2010 06:34 PM
    The Incredible user manual says nothing about Yahoo email accounts. However, if you search the forums, there's been a lot of discussion on how to set this up on any Android device, not just the Incredible.
    04-25-2010 06:44 PM
    The Incredible user manual says nothing about Yahoo email accounts. However, if you search the forums, there's been a lot of discussion on how to set this up on any Android device, not just the Incredible.
    Thanks for the reply but I've already searched and I find conflicting responses as to what really is the case out there. Hence the thread because I was hoping to consolidate things because I can't be the only Yahoo user that is slightly confused.

I found a long thread about how to get Yahoo to work by auto-forwarding to Gmail, etc... but it appears Android 2.1 has done away with that requirement but I'm having trouble confirming that.
    04-25-2010 07:32 PM
    Limjelo,
    I got my Yahoo mail setup with my HTC Hero. Basically followed these directions, with one exception-- change port 587 to port 25 for the SMTP part:
    Yahoo Mail On The Motorola Droid | Android Phone Fans

Seems to work fine so far. Still looking for solutions for Yahoo contacts and calendar. No luck yet.
    05-05-2010 04:44 PM
    Thanks. I ended up stumbling across this same article and my email works. I've now imported my contacts and Calendar to GMail and will just manage from there. Oh well... Bummer they don't fully support Yahoo but it makes sense why they don't.

Limjelo,
    I got my Yahoo mail setup with my HTC Hero. Basically followed these directions, with one exception-- change port 587 to port 25 for the SMTP part:
    Yahoo Mail On The Motorola Droid | Android Phone Fans

Seems to work fine so far. Still looking for solutions for Yahoo contacts and calendar. No luck yet.
    05-05-2010 04:46 PM
    My problem is that yahoo mail throws a "login failed" error if I try to check my mail while connected to wifi. I actually have to turn off wifi and enable 3g in order to check my mail.

This strikes me as odd, because yahoo mail works perfectly fine on my ipod touch, which is only able to access email over wifi, as it has no 3g capabilities.

Is there a way around this?
    05-16-2010 04:00 PM
    New Yahoo mail apps were released today from Yahoo. Still waiting on Yahoo Calendar app.
    07-01-2010 01:59 PM
    @Mr. Rob - I've been reading up on the new Yahoo! android app, and I can't figure out if it really syncs contacts, or provides a secondary set of contacts that are your Yahoo! contacts. I want the Yahoo! contacts to sync with my phone - I don't want to have to manage two different contact lists and lose version control. Do you know how the yahoo app works? if this just won't work out, I might have to stick with my bb, since it handles the syncing flawlessly. Thanks
    07-02-2010 12:49 PM
    Hi everyone, I have released an app on the marketplace, YContact, that will sync your Yahoo! contacts to your android contact database. Syncing is one way only for now(Yahoo! to phone), but I am working on 2 way sync via the app. Please check out Greased Code for more details. Thanks.
    08-01-2010 03:00 PM
    My problem is that yahoo mail throws a "login failed" error if I try to check my mail while connected to wifi. I actually have to turn off wifi and enable 3g in order to check my mail.

This strikes me as odd, because yahoo mail works perfectly fine on my ipod touch, which is only able to access email over wifi, as it has no 3g capabilities.

Is there a way around this?
    Yahoo mail doesn't work over wifi with the stock e-mail app. You can download either K-9 or Maildroid (I prefer Maildroid), both free, from the marketplace - both allow yahoo mail over wifi.
    08-03-2010 10:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD