Incredible is incredible a year ago

DroidLoven

Banned
Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Time to upgrade into a Tbolt kiddies. the incredible is getting pretty old a little slow and a little dated. I would go for the Tbolt and do it up right.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I agree guys. I just got my DInc about 2 weeks ago and wouldn't trade it for anything. My X is truly my ex....collecting dust in my sock drawer

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

tdgobux

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
You must not have your Inc rooted or you would have a complete 180 degree change in attitude. :)

I love my dInc, haven't rooted it, nor have gingerbread yet and don't have issues with the phone itself that requires me to upgrade. That said, I have just a couple of issues that seem to be with the OS rather than the phone - internal memory allocation, battery usage, etc

It seems that as the google market place continues to evolve, apps are being written that are better architected and taking better advantage of the system without having to root it.

Which begs the question, why would you still need to root your phone even today?

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I love my dInc, haven't rooted it, nor have gingerbread yet and don't have issues with the phone itself that requires me to upgrade. That said, I have just a couple of issues that seem to be with the OS rather than the phone - internal memory allocation, battery usage, etc

It seems that as the google market place continues to evolve, apps are being written that are better architected and taking better advantage of the system without having to root it.

Which begs the question, why would you still need to root your phone even today?

Lots of reasons. I rooted for CM7, which not only lets me get the latest version of Android, but lets me have 100% pure vanilla Android as well. Other people still root to remove bloatware, and in my humble opinion it's worth rooting just to use Adfree Android. There are some things (block ads, upgrade your version of Android, change your splachcsreen/boot animation to name a few) that you will never be able to do without root access.

And I love my Dinc, especially with CM7 installed. It's a great device, and I'll be rocking it until something much, much better (the Nexus Three/Prime) comes along.

jmk32

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Lots of reasons. I rooted for CM7, which not only lets me get the latest version of Android, but lets me have 100% pure vanilla Android as well. Other people still root to remove bloatware, and in my humble opinion it's worth rooting just to use Adfree Android. There are some things (block ads, upgrade your version of Android, change your splachcsreen/boot animation to name a few) that you will never be able to do without root access.

And I love my Dinc, especially with CM7 installed. It's a great device, and I'll be rocking it until something much, much better (the Nexus Three/Prime) comes along.

DINC is still great. The only reason I'd consider upgrading would be a slightly bigger screen as typing in portrait mode is just too tight for any of the keyboards I've tried. Only issue I have (pure stock) is the stupid low on memory errors popping up too much, that's about it.

As for rooting, I've thought about it, but among the benefits, isn't there a few drawbacks too - isn't there an issue where the camera won't do video properly (or in 720p), and a few other common functions that won't carry over? I'm hoping the forthcoming Gingerbread update solves the low on memory bug, if not, I'll be rooting...

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm still rocking my Inc. Rooted and running CM 7.1 with no issues at all. My upgrade was earlier this month but there is nothing on Verizon that interests me right now and certainly nothing worth wasting an upgrade on. With the choices of ROM's and developer support for the Inc there is no reason to get in a hurry.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
A man and His DInc <3

Everlasting-love-card-7.jpg

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
As for rooting, I've thought about it, but among the benefits, isn't there a few drawbacks too - isn't there an issue where the camera won't do video properly (or in 720p), and a few other common functions that won't carry over? I'm hoping the forthcoming Gingerbread update solves the low on memory bug, if not, I'll be rooting...

There are drawbacks to staying with stock. At least with rooting and custom ROM's you have a lot of choices: Stock with no bloat, stock with lots of enhancements, vanilla, vanilla GINGERBREAD!, Gingerbread w/Sense, Gingerbread w/Sense 2.1 (and some 3.0)....choices.

The only ROM's I'm aware of that don't support 720 video are the vanilla ROM's like CM7. That being said CM7 is my favorite vanilla ROM of all and is extremely stable, fast, packed with features and customizations. So there's no 720, not a big deal to me...if its that important for me to film I'd have brought a real video camera.

At this point in the game I'd root the DInc and start truly enjoying what is probably STILL one of the top 3 phones on the market.

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
That said, I have just a couple of issues that seem to be with the OS rather than the phone - internal memory allocation, battery usage, etc

You answered your question in your explanation. I use CM7 with Chad's latest kernel and I can get 30 hours on a 1800 mah battery, and that's under moderate to heavy use. I'm big into geocaching and use the app from geocaching.com, which uses GPS. I grabbed one before work, two at lunch, and four on the way home, on top of work and personal emails, text messages and about three total hours on the phone. I took my phone off charge at 7am this morning, and 13.5 hours later I'm still at 75% battery. :)

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
You answered your question in your explanation. I use CM7 with Chad's latest kernel and I can get 30 hours on a 1800 mah battery, and that's under moderate to heavy use. I'm big into geocaching and use the app from geocaching.com, which uses GPS. I grabbed one before work, two at lunch, and four on the way home, on top of work and personal emails, text messages and about three total hours on the phone. I took my phone off charge at 7am this morning, and 13.5 hours later I'm still at 75% battery. :)

Reading posts like this makes me want to root. Then I'll look at my 18 hours on my 2150mAh battery and think, it's not worth the trouble. Either way, DInc is the way to go for me.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Reading posts like this makes me want to root. Then I'll look at my 18 hours on my 2150mAh battery and think, it's not worth the trouble. Either way, DInc is the way to go for me.

In my opinion rooting and custom ROM's can extend the life of this phone for quite a while.

If its battery life your looking for, try rooting and going to Cyanogen Mod7 with the latest Incredikernel as ucluglee said. Its amazing how much longer your battery can go. But since CM7 is vanilla, if you like Sense definitely give Skyraider 4.2 (i think thats the latest) a go...when I used SR 4.0 my battery life blew me away!! I've yet to see another Sense-based ROM with batt life that good.

I'm currently running Nil's Business Gingersense and loving it. While I do love Cyanogen Mod 7 (gingerbread) and all its AOSP glory, occasionally I still get an itch for Sense. With the ROM I'm using now, I've got Gingerbread AND Sense 2.1...a win win since no one is sure beyond "late summer" for the Gbread update to the Inc and an update to Sense at all is very unlikely.

PS, it runs great by the way with no more lag than any other Sense based ROM.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Pay no attention to Wanda... he has commitment issues and a 3 flash a day habit! ;)

LOL

Stig: *angry* "Where did you learn to do this stuff...huh!! Tell me, who taught you how to flash and do nandroids like this?"

Me: *sobbing* "You Stig, I LEARNED IT BY WATCHING YOU!!!"

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I still want to learn how to flash a rom onto the dinc...I would do cm7 since I use go launcher now....

but anyhow.

Doesn't he look like a white lionel ritchie?

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I still want to learn how to flash a rom onto the dinc...I would do cm7 since I use go launcher now....

Doesn't he look like a white lionel ritchie?

Hmmm...I've always thought he looked like a really well groomed Gene Shalit.

If you're a fan of stock Sense, I'd give Skyraider 4.2 a shot. To me, its the best Sense ROM out there...if it wasn't still Froyo based I'd be using it right now. When the chef updates it to Gbread I'll definitely be taking it for a spin...in between flashing back to my CM7 and GingerSense of course (guess you were right Stig)