How do you check on Droid Incredible what is running in the background??? So i can turn it off so it doesnt use memory, any shortcuts???

Also if App does not have quit button how do you know if its off or still running?

In my old BB Storm it was HOLD BB Button
    04-28-2010 10:46 AM
    The phone will automatically shut down apps when they use too much memory or resources. Let the OS do its thing. Or, if you're really concerned about it, you can download a task killer app from the market.
    04-28-2010 10:53 AM
    you may want to just let it do its thing, messing with a task manage could potentially mess your phone up
    04-28-2010 11:03 AM
    The phone will automatically shut down apps when they use too much memory or resources. Let the OS do its thing.
    What if I am done with an app, and want to terminate it right after I am done using it can I exit out of it, or do I need to leave it running even thought I am done using it.
    04-28-2010 11:22 AM
    some apps will close if you back out of them, but some will go into the background, then the OS will take care of it.

to see what your last 6 apps were just hold down the menu key for a couple seconds
    04-28-2010 11:25 AM
    I am getting the incredible tomorrow and was wondering the same exact thing. (im a bb tour user)
    I am all for letting the OS handle everything...but it seems like everyone has a different opinion on what "too much memory/resources" is. So does the android allow you to change settings on how much memory it will shut apps off with?
    Im VERY new to androids so maybe this is just too much to be worrying about....but i'd love to know my android is not being drained.
    04-28-2010 12:20 PM
    no, there's no setting.

the OS is supposed to be smart enough to know when it needs to close things to keep the phone running smoothly.

plus, with the substantial amount of free memory on the incredible, it shouldn't be an issue really
    04-28-2010 12:54 PM
    Im VERY new to androids so maybe this is just too much to be worrying about....
    It is.

If you want to, you can get a task killer app - there are a bunch that are fine in the market - but I would definitely avoid any that do any automatic task killing on a timer or when the phone sleeps or when you hit a widget or something. I think that it's unnecessary, but there are apps out there that can continue to run in the background so having one for those few times that you notice any lag will not hurt. I'd suggest running for a few weeks without a task manager/killer, though, and then determine if you need one based on that experience (i.e., you find that the phone lagged, the battery drained too fast, etc.)
    04-28-2010 12:58 PM
    This isn't a blackberry. Let the OS manage the memory as it was intended. Most of the apps have sync settings, so if you're concerned about battery life, just increase the amount of sync time.
    04-28-2010 01:02 PM
    some apps will close if you back out of them, but some will go into the background, then the OS will take care of it.

to see what your last 6 apps were just hold down the menu key for a couple seconds

So, if I have an app that does not close when you back out of it, but I want to close it personally, I can not? I have to let the phone decide what apps in the background to close and what apps to keep open?? (without task manager/killer)
    04-28-2010 08:52 PM
    So, if I have an app that does not close when you back out of it, but I want to close it personally, I can not? I have to let the phone decide what apps in the background to close and what apps to keep open?? (without task manager/killer)
    Yes! Let the OS do its job! It does it well! You dont have to worry about these things with Android!
    04-28-2010 09:29 PM
    yup, android will kill things when memory reaches a certain threshold. the Inc has a ton of memory so don't worry to much.
    04-28-2010 09:34 PM
    correct, but keep in mind most apps are designed to close when you back out of them.

if the OS works as it should, you shouldn't notice the difference between putting an app in the background vs closing it.
    04-28-2010 09:34 PM
    That is correct, VKitty. The Android OS is engineered in such a way in which it is not intended for the user to worry or care about what is or isn't running. Most cellphone OSs are like this. The only people that mirror the sentiment in this thread are coming from BlackBerry.

Advanced Task Killer (ATK) is a good, free app you can download and install from the Market that will allow you to terminate any piece of software running in the background. You have a basic view (of only third-party apps) along with an advanced view (showing ALL processes). I've used it a few times, but it just doesn't seem to make a difference. You do NOT have to terminate processes on this phone. It isn't something to waste time worrying about. Just use the phone and have fun!
    04-29-2010 07:59 AM
    How do you check on Droid Incredible what is running in the background??? So i can turn it off so it doesnt use memory, any shortcuts???

Also if App does not have quit button how do you know if its off or still running?

In my old BB Storm it was HOLD BB Button
    LOL! Coming from the Storm too I was wondering about that AND how it's not so easy to do a battery pull. LMAO! I think we are shell shocked from using that POS ! So far this phone really lives up to it's name, I just can't believe how well it works and how big an improvement it is over the Storm.
    04-29-2010 08:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD