Acquiring Incredible by Adding an Extra Line?

Which would you pick?

• Total voters

Killa C

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
So, here's my predicament. I loved the BB Storm when it first came out, and it was the only touchscreen smartphone worth anything when I switched to Verizon back in February last year. Now, I can't wait to get rid of it, and I've set my sights on an Incredible. Only problem is, my upgrade (New Every Two) doesn't happen until October. I have four options. I'm listing them in order of desire vs. $$

Option 1) I can activate a second line on my account. I currently pay $99.99 for my Storm. ($92 plus change with my company discount) I activate the second line, and purchase an Incredible as my "new" phone. The Incredible arrives, I activate it, wait a little bit, and then activate it on my primary line (the Storm). I then activate an old POS Motorola T720c on the secondary line, thereby removing the BlackBerry features, and keeping only the 700 shared minutes, a 500 txt plan, and the Unlimited Data for personal email plan. Adding insurance+Extended Warranty for the Incredible on there as well brings the grand total due monthly to $99.97 (including the discount). I then trash the Storm, and stick the motorola in a drawer. Second most expensive option, but it also gets me my Incredible soonest. And I still have a New Every Two on my primary line in October.

Option 2) I wait until October. I get the Incredible for $99 (assuming the price doesn't go down) with the New Every Two upgrade. My price per month actually goes down by a few dollars, and I don't have two lines. Downside is, I have to stick with my Storm until October (thats only if I can resist the temptation to run over it or something before that date). Plus side - it's the cheapest option, and if another amazing Android phone comes out by then, or is coming out soon after, I can get that too...of course, I could also do that with the first plan.

Option 3) I am looking to have two jobs this summer so I can go to college some more next semester, and I applied to Verizon for my second job. I know they offer discounts on phones, but I don't know to what extent, and if they allow early upgrades for employees. Also, I have to get hired first. And no, I didn't apply simply to get discounted phones. I would actually very much enjoy being a sales rep for them. If anyone knows what kind of discount I would get, please speak up and let me know.

Option 4) Pay full retail. Needless to say, I REALLY don't wanna do that. I will only do this if I come into a bunch of money suddenly, destroy my storm and NEED a new smartphone for sure, or...well...thats about it. Plus side, I still get my New Every Two, and my price per month goes down. Downside: $529.99 PRICE TAG:eek:.

So, which option would you choose? And thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
if you really want it now and do the first option, you will basically be paying full retail price over the 2 years (200 now plus $10 a month for 24 months)

if you're okay with that, it's probably the easiest option.

if you can wait, option 2 and 3 are basically the same (if you get the job before october you can re evaluate your options since you'll know about discounts.

so to sum up

if you want it now, option 1 and 4 are basically the same, just the timing of payment differs.

if you can wait, option 2 and 3 are about the same.

personally, i'd try option 1, and then see if you want to give the line to someone (you trust) and charge them like $20 or $15 a month.

Killa C

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I thought of that...but there's two problems. As ****ty as I think it is right now, it's still a world phone, so I can temporarily activate it if I ever go overseas or something. And secondly, the 2nd Option (sounds like a tactical plan of some kind, doesn't it?) is totally affordable. Besides, the Storm wouldn't fetch very much anyway.

kmully

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I think I understand that...do I have to do this over the phone then? Cause I really don't mind Verizon at all. Even if I'm stuck without 4G for two years, they're network is FREAKIN' EVERYWHERE.

Not sure if you can do it online or on the phone, but I would call them to find out.

mchapman007

Apr 28, 2010
www.mobilematt.net
This is how I'm going to get the Incredible;

* My current line is a company paid Verizon line which I have the Touchpro 2 and no upgrade available anytime soon,
* I have 2 personal AT$T lines that my wife and son use,
* My wifes contract is open so I'm going to drop that line and start a new VZW personal account and get the Incredible, but port her number to my TouchPro 2 and have mine ported to the Incredible. (Already planed this out with the VZW sales rep)
* Then when my sons AT$T contract is open (Late May), I will drop that and add a second VZW line for him and get another Incredible but port my wifes number to that and port my sons to the TP2... kinda' hand-me-down type of situation although my TP2 is only 6 months old.. LOL!!

* I do get an additional 12% discount with Verizon as the company I work for goes through them so it's nothing but a win-win for me.. (Bye Bye AT$T)

Killa C

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
This is how I'm going to get the Incredible;

* My current line is a company paid Verizon line which I have the Touchpro 2 and no upgrade available anytime soon,
* I have 2 personal AT$T lines that my wife and son use,
* My wifes contract is open so I'm going to drop that line and start a new VZW personal account and get the Incredible, but port her number to my TouchPro 2 and have mine ported to the Incredible. (Already planed this out with the VZW sales rep)
* Then when my sons AT$T contract is open (Late May), I will drop that and add a second VZW line for him and get another Incredible but port my wifes number to that and port my sons to the TP2... kinda' hand-me-down type of situation although my TP2 is only 6 months old.. LOL!!

* I do get an additional 12% discount with Verizon as the company I work for goes through them so it's nothing but a win-win for me.. (Bye Bye AT$T)

*HEAD EXPLODES* And I thought my plan was complex.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Are you on a Single-Line Plan? Assuming you are going from 450 min to 700 min Shareplan it will be way, way, more than just $9.99 to add a 2nd line regardless of your employer's discount.

Better to sell the Storm and Pay for the Inc... or wait for Oct.

If you can find someone to pay for the 2nd line, that might work.... can you trust them?

2mmzqqq.jpg

2z50zgo.jpg

mistyinca

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Option 3) I am looking to have two jobs this summer so I can go to college some more next semester, and I applied to Verizon for my second job. I know they offer discounts on phones, but I don't know to what extent, and if they allow early upgrades for employees. Also, I have to get hired first. And no, I didn't apply simply to get discounted phones. I would actually very much enjoy being a sales rep for them. If anyone knows what kind of discount I would get, please speak up and let me know.

Verizon is one of the worst companies in the world to work for. I worked for them back when they were GTE. It is hell. Trust me. Look elsewhere.

Killa C

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Verizon is one of the worst companies in the world to work for. I worked for them back when they were GTE. It is hell. Trust me. Look elsewhere.

What was so bad? Maybe they changed? I mean, I currently work for Walgreens, and they USED to be awesome. The whole reason I'm looking for a new second job is that Walgreens is cutting my store's hours for the pharmacy next week. Going from 96 per week (with three people splitting them) down to 36 per week. And we feel like we don't have enough help. WTF. Just saying, some companies change over time, some for the worse, and some for the better.

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
This is how I am making the switch from the Storm 1 to the Incredible. I have my own small business, and I switched my plan from a personal account to a business account. Everything in the plan is actually the same, but I had to sign a business agreement and get their approval. I will upgrade for $199 plus an additional $30 online discount. Plus within 60 days of this upgrade I will receive a $150 credit towards my bill as a benefit for having a business account. So in the end it will cost me $19 to upgrade to the Incredible.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
My upgrade wasn't due till 2/8/2011. Do what I did call up complain about the S1, tell them what you want and get the DI for $174. Forget all the add a line, shifting crap, paying full retail, or waiting. Just take a $75 hit and get it now and get it over with!

Doesn't hurt to ask for what you want before you try alternatives. Remember the least resistive route is normally the best on to take if you can.

Killa C

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
My upgrade wasn't due till 2/8/2011. Do what I did call up complain about the S1, tell them what you want and get the DI for $174. Forget all the add a line, shifting crap, paying full retail, or waiting. Just take a $75 hit and get it now and get it over with!

Doesn't hurt to ask for what you want before you try alternatives. Remember the least resistive route is normally the best on to take if you can.

Really? That worked? Cause I did that in attempts to get an S2, lol. Never worked. Did you say anything specific? Or just generally go down the growing list of WHY the S1 is so terrible? And whom did you call? Was it just the plain customer support line?

Killa C

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Well...for anyone who cared, I did call VZW customer support today, and they did confirm the annual upgrade info. So, as soon as I can swing it monetarily, I'm upgrading to an Android! Woot! Thanks for the advice everyone!

srvac

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I just switched from a Storm 1 to an Incredible and even though there are some things I think BB does better, this is a great phone. That being said, you may want to consider a used Droid (which I've seen around $250). You still get something new (you'll wonder how you put up with that touch screen) and this fall you can pick from perhaps the Incredible, an iPhone on VZW (maybe), and a Storm 3 (maybe).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos