Stop the keyboard from replacing a word when pressing space.

thenewnoise

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
How can I get the keyboard to suggest words to me but stop it from automatically replacing a word when I press space. The auto replacement is pretty ****ing annoying.

If I uncheck prediction then it doesn't suggest anything to me. That's not what I want. I want it to suggest but not replace.

homsie

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
You need to select the word in the list that you want if it's not the one highlighted in green...otherwise it will automatically replace it with the green one. I don't know of any way to stop it from automatically replacing after you hit a space....with prediction on.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I know what you mean, I had the same issue with my Hero. Unfortunately, you can't turn this one component off. It makes texting a pain because it often suggests words that aren't even close. Actually, I had found that there were times where it was difficult for the predictive text to recognize a word at all. I couldn't take it. I do have a question for those with the Incredible, does the keyboard lag when typing within a web page? This was a huge issue for me when I had my Hero.

homsie

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I think that's the way it's designed and there isn't a way to turn it off. You're going to have to deal with it. :)

fredh76

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Driod misspellings

My Driod does the same to me all the time. Perfect example; I was typing a sentence and used the word "am" without the quotes of course. After sending the message, I checked sent items and it replaced am with "small" now what good is a phone that does this. I hate to admit it, but my iPhone never inserted or suggested a word so far offbase. There has to be something drastically wrong with the current 2.1 OS. BTW; This is not just a one time occurrence as usually I catch the misspelling simply because the word I used is 2 letters and it submitted a much longer word. I am going to turn off suggestions for now..:confused:

Fred

zimmermankeith

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
My EVO 4G replaces words with those that aren't even close, especially when typing people's names. I type in "Jody's" and a totally different word comes-up, like "machine". I absolutely hate it. These phones should all be recalled and fixed. It isn't acceptable to be so completely wrong, or to work in such a way that one must select from a list of stuff that comes-up when you've already typed-in the entire word. I feel like smashing the phone with a hammer - it'd make me feel better. But I guess since I have a couple more weeks where I can return it and undo the contract, that's likely what will have to happen. Why would anyone put such horrible text messaging functionality into a phone? I had a lot of keypad trouble with an HTC Snap phone. Can anyone recommend something non-HTC that's quality and works logically?

romy134

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
are you useing stock keyboard? Swiftkey gives you an option in setting to have the space bar only do spaces. I like it this way the auto selecting word annoying me to death.

Justified

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
My EVO 4G replaces words with those that aren't even close, especially when typing people's names. I type in "Jody's" and a totally different word comes-up, like "machine". I absolutely hate it. These phones should all be recalled and fixed. It isn't acceptable to be so completely wrong, or to work in such a way that one must select from a list of stuff that comes-up when you've already typed-in the entire word. I feel like smashing the phone with a hammer - it'd make me feel better. But I guess since I have a couple more weeks where I can return it and undo the contract, that's likely what will have to happen. Why would anyone put such horrible text messaging functionality into a phone? I had a lot of keypad trouble with an HTC Snap phone. Can anyone recommend something non-HTC that's quality and works logically?

You should try out Swiftkey, it has the option to turn that off and predicts better than any other keyboard (Even the iPhone keyboard). Also check out any of the gingerbread ones in the market.

P.S. In case you guy didn't notice, this thread is over a year and a half old ;)

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
When it suggests (and forces) a word to me, I usually just tap somewhere else within the sentence (like another word), and it'll go away (and leave my word there). If the word I want is the first word in a sentence, then I'll just hit a bunch of random letters until the suggestion turns orange, hit spacebar, then back space off the extra letters.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc