Joystick - it's gotta be a bug

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
After a few days of use, I'm pretty sure there is a bug with the optical joystick on the Inc. I'm curious to know if others are experiencing these:

** In the Gmail app, when I use the optical joystick to move my cursor, the cursor continues to move around (in random directions) even though I have lifted my thumb off the joystick.
A temporary fix is to ensure that my thumb is not "within direct view" of the joystick; although, that doesn't always help.

---

I can't tell if it's a Gmail app problem or a joystick problem. Considering the issues listed below, though, I suspect the joystick is the source of the problem.

** The random screen changes
ie: from home screen, the phone flops to the screen(s) on the right side.
Happens most often when my phone is sitting on my desk (next to a laptop with a desk lamp shining directly onto it).
ie: in the People app, the phone will jump to other tabs/screens within the app without my input.

I love everything else about this Inc; although, the phone should have come standard with an extended battery.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I'd really like to hear if anyone else is having this issue, though. If not, I know I have to take my Inc in within 30 days.

Thank you!

atlas9171

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I haven't had the issue with the optical joystick, don't use it often but tested it in the Gmail app and it worked fine.

Only weird thing my phone does is it will start the camera app when just sitting on the desk. Only does it once in a while, perhaps I'm unknowingly bumping it or something.

Battery life does suck big time and yes this thing should of had a stronger battery, might help if I actually put it down for more than 5 minutes too.

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
mine does lag sometimes when using it so far i just try to avoid it until a firmware fix is out.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Only weird thing my phone does is it will start the camera app when just sitting on the desk. Only does it once in a while, perhaps I'm unknowingly bumping it or something.

Was your phone sitting next to a computer, laptop or other operating device?

mr.s4ndm4n

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I think i may be having the same issue....

Today, i wasn't paying attention to what i did, but all of a sudden the phone started switching screens, going to the left; as if i was swiping my finger across it to go to the next screen to the left.

I restarted the phone and it hasn't done it anymore. i dunno what was going on.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I think i may be having the same issue....

Today, i wasn't paying attention to what i did, but all of a sudden the phone started switching screens, going to the left; as if i was swiping my finger across it to go to the next screen to the left.

I restarted the phone and it hasn't done it anymore. i dunno what was going on.

Yes . . . that's it! Although, my phone switches to the RIGHT. lol.

Looks like this bug is a candidate for a software patch.

hawkeye_droid

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I am having the same issue. My screen keeps going to the left. In fact, it does it so often it is hard to keep it on the home screen. When I hit the home button, the screen swipes left before it even gets to the home screen. I am also having issues with a "dead spot" on the bottom buttons of the screen so I can't answer phone calls. I don't know if the issues are related, but the phone is almost unusable. It worked fine yesterday, but started acting up today. I took it to the VZW store & they couldn't fix it. I called customer support & they are shipping me a new one.