08-06-2010 11:20 PM
547 ... 1617181920 ...
tools
    Yeah a lot of this is your inexperience with the phone.

A lot of these things are either in the O/S by default you just need to know how to operate it, or you can get an app that makes it possible. Everything but the Bluetooth dialing, I still don't believe there is an answer to that yet.
    +1

What the hell are you talking about the legality of selling the phone?
    LOL!!!!My thoughts exactly!
    05-19-2010 01:20 PM
    what the hell are you talking about the legality of selling the phone?
    roflmao!!!!!!!!!
    05-19-2010 01:23 PM
    I'm switching from the tour 9630. I also have a storm 1 but i just got over it. It never gave me any problems except it needed a little adjustment on the screws under the battery cover to make the screen click better. I switched to the tour, and it has worked perfectly fine. But like many others in this thread, i just don't see the RIM OS go anywhere soon..which is quite disappointing...

Things i will miss (for a few days maybe)

BBM
    keyboard
    that's it..

Anyways i ordered my Incredible on the 15th and could not be more excited. I have two other friends also that are pretty set on buying one. But i keep telling them to stop waiting because of the long back order or whatever. Looks like i'll have mine well before them but still not soon enough.
    05-19-2010 05:57 PM
    You won't miss the keyboard if you get the right one, in fact the T9 on the incredible is pretty accurate. Get swype etc add the words it doesn't have, much like suretype, and you will be more than happy. SureType isn't really that great once you realize that if you compare it to newer phones the newer phones are just as good.

BBM eh, Gtalk etc is just as good.
    05-19-2010 10:20 PM
    Switching from crackberry to androidcentral I suppose.

Have had a BlackBerry the past 2 years and have become very attached. Just could not take the browser anymore.
    05-21-2010 03:38 PM
    I've been compiling a list of questions, because I've been thinking about siwtching - I know some of these may have been answered in this thread, I've been reading it for the last hour or so and doing some quick searches, but hopefully getting the rest of the answers might sway me. I'll preface this by saying I'm an Apple guy who hates the iPhone, and a Blackberry guy who loves his Tour, but still thinks its missing *something* - even moreso after messing with an Incredible today...

1) If I logged into the BIS, I could set up filters for my specific mail accounts, so certain emails I just wouldn’t get on my BB, only on my Laptop email client. Is that do-able?
    8330 user considering DI - I use BB Desktop Manager to apply extensive filters - only about 10% of my desktop (work) email is routed to my phone (with varying notification levels) so this is IMPERATIVE for me.

I've seen this asked several times on this thread but haven't seen any responses. Have not seen any answers on other forums either....

With the requirements for corporate communication functionality, maybe RIM remains the best choice??? I'd like the answer to be different but I haven't seen anything indicating equivalent capabilities.
    05-22-2010 11:44 AM
    8330 user considering DI - I use BB Desktop Manager to apply extensive filters - only about 10% of my desktop (work) email is routed to my phone (with varying notification levels) so this is IMPERATIVE for me.

I've seen this asked several times on this thread but haven't seen any responses. Have not seen any answers on other forums either....

With the requirements for corporate communication functionality, maybe RIM remains the best choice??? I'd like the answer to be different but I haven't seen anything indicating equivalent capabilities.
    I haven't gotten a definitive answer yet, but I'm thinking the answer is "maybe". I think for a gmail account is possible since you can set up filters on the gmail web-client and those will carry over, for other mail clients I don't believe you can filter by sender or subject. I downloaded the manual and couldn't find anything pertaining to it to make me think it would.

Since I'm still waiting for my DInc, I've been prepping my emails - most of the stuff I was worried about filtering I've switched to my gmail account, so that would leave the things I want to get right away on my primary mail account. Its a little extra step, but actually helps clean things up.
    05-22-2010 12:04 PM
    I haven't gotten a definitive answer yet, but I'm thinking the answer is "maybe". I think for a gmail account is possible since you can set up filters on the gmail web-client and those will carry over, for other mail clients I don't believe you can filter by sender or subject. I downloaded the manual and couldn't find anything pertaining to it to make me think it would.

Since I'm still waiting for my DInc, I've been prepping my emails - most of the stuff I was worried about filtering I've switched to my gmail account, so that would leave the things I want to get right away on my primary mail account. Its a little extra step, but actually helps clean things up.
    Thanks for the info - I should clarify - my work email is coming from a large Exchange Server incorporating BES....
    05-22-2010 01:53 PM
    Hurray! I did it!
    I officially dumped the Storm 1 today (thank god), and went for the Incredible!!!
    The bad part? They're in so much demand that I have to wait a week or 2 for it.

Sorry, but I couldn't go through all of the pages here. My Storm memory card has tons of pictures, movies, and songs. Can this simply be transferred to the Droid, or do I need to do something special.
    If this has been answered a million times, I apologize. It's my first post here!
    05-22-2010 04:14 PM
    Thanks for the info - I should clarify - my work email is coming from a large Exchange Server incorporating BES....
    I'm sort of in the same boat - I currently use my work email on my Tour but its through the OWA (Webmail) link, not through a BES.. From what I've read, exchange support on Android DOES support folders - if thats the case then I think the rules and filters set up on your server should also apply.. I can't confirm this because I haven't gotten my Incredible yet, but thats the way I took it when I read up on it.
    05-22-2010 04:25 PM
    Hurray! I did it!
    I officially dumped the Storm 1 today (thank god), and went for the Incredible!!!
    The bad part? They're in so much demand that I have to wait a week or 2 for it.

Sorry, but I couldn't go through all of the pages here. My Storm memory card has tons of pictures, movies, and songs. Can this simply be transferred to the Droid, or do I need to do something special.
    If this has been answered a million times, I apologize. It's my first post here!
    I would place all those files on your computer. Let the phone handle the format on your card, then copy all the files back to it. It will work without doing it, but I've seen speed increases by letting the phone handle it.
    05-22-2010 06:30 PM
    Someone on the CrackBerry forums asked this question and since no one was responding there I thought I'd help him out and post his question here:

"So does the Incredible have true speech recognition which can be used for a variety of things including composing emails, while the 9650 just has an app with limited capability?"

Thanks!
    05-22-2010 09:38 PM
    Someone on the CrackBerry forums asked this question and since no one was responding there I thought I'd help him out and post his question here:

"So does the Incredible have true speech recognition which can be used for a variety of things including composing emails, while the 9650 just has an app with limited capability?"

Thanks!
    I compose emails (in the gmail app) and sticky notes/memos with voice. You'll need to review the email before you send it, though. If you care about punctuation, you'll REALLY want to review.

Still, it works better than I would have expected.
    05-22-2010 09:45 PM
    Dumb question because it's probably been answered before, but do you miss the physical keyboard that is usually a strong point for BlackBerry users? Just curious to see what you think.

there is push email via gmail and exchange, the only polled email is through the regular email app.

yea, with unlimited texts being how cheap they are, the only times i really miss bbm is when i want to talk to people who are overseas or out of the country in general
    05-22-2010 09:48 PM
    Dumb question because it's probably been answered before, but do you miss the physical keyboard that is usually a strong point for BlackBerry users? Just curious to see what you think.
    Every smartphone I've owned up until now had a physical QWERTY keyboard. I don't miss any of them. If the Inc had a slow processor and suffered from lag because of it, I'm sure I would hate typing on the Inc. Fortunately, that's not a problem.

The auto-correct feature works very, very well on the Inc -- the phone does most of the work for you. You just tap away and 99% of the time, your message comes out right.
    05-22-2010 09:52 PM
    I was told by a verizon rep that they "can" offer upgrades up to 4 months early. They did my Incredible upgrade about 2 1/2 months early.. Do yourself a favor, GET the Incredible. I went from a Storm to it and it was a great decision!
    Yep. They don't like to tell you, but Verizon will give you an early upgrade price... that's what I did. It cost me only $200 vs the $500+ for retail!

Now the part I hate most............waiting.

The Incredible is in such high demand here, that it'll take at least a week before it's delivered to my door (via FedEx).
    05-23-2010 12:44 AM
    They offered mine 8 months early. CALL! you want this phone if you aren't willing to wait for the Droid2.
    05-23-2010 03:19 AM
    Thanks.

I compose emails (in the gmail app) and sticky notes/memos with voice. You'll need to review the email before you send it, though. If you care about punctuation, you'll REALLY want to review.

Still, it works better than I would have expected.
    Awesome, thanks for your insight on that. I'll probably go and test out the Evo when it comes out. Maybe I'll suck up the $35 restock fee if I'm not satisfied within the first 30 days I use it. I'm currently debating whether to go with the BlackBerry 9650 or to wait; I'm upgrading from a Q but I've been enticed by this BlackBerry OS 6.0.

Every smartphone I've owned up until now had a physical QWERTY keyboard. I don't miss any of them. If the Inc had a slow processor and suffered from lag because of it, I'm sure I would hate typing on the Inc. Fortunately, that's not a problem.

The auto-correct feature works very, very well on the Inc -- the phone does most of the work for you. You just tap away and 99% of the time, your message comes out right.
    05-25-2010 05:53 AM
    i don't know if this has been suggested, but after a couple of weeks with the Incredible, I'd suggest trying the following if you are trying to limit which emails are going through to your phone.

1. Set up two gmail accounts, one regular (john.doe@gmail.com) and one for the mobile phone (john.doe.mobile@gmail.com)
    2. In the primary account, go to filters and set up filters to forward the select emails to the mobile account
    3. Then set up the phone to have the mobile account (with or without the primary account) so only those emails get through.

I used a few filters on BIS with my Storm (especially from senders who usually had a ton of forwarded jokes and political commentaries), but I just block them now. I just have a work and a personal gmail so when I get a notification of an email, I actually like all of my email in one gmail inbox, because I can read, ignore or delete them right away and it keeps the mailbox more tidy.
    05-25-2010 02:24 PM
    What the hell are you talking about the legality of selling the phone?
    I am not sure what the laws are in your state, but in NJ, if you are driving and handleing the phone its considered illegal. Thier is no way to initiate a call with out handeling the ohone . From what I understand, this is a common problem with all android phones, never the less, your options are to pull over every time u want to make a call or break the law if the car is moving. Does that need more explanaition?
    05-26-2010 12:46 AM
    Yeah a lot of this is your inexperience with the phone.

A lot of these things are either in the O/S by default you just need to know how to operate it, or you can get an app that makes it possible. Everything but the Bluetooth dialing, I still don't believe there is an answer to that yet.
    I agree, can you please tell me if thier is an app for this or do I need to just look deeper? I dont mean to be a stickler, however people are considering buying this phone and they want to know, as I would too

5>Copy and paste features are not always friendly (takes a few screens many times just to copy some things

6>No dock to charge phone without having to plug it in

7>Blackberry 3.2 megapixil tour camera is MUCH better than this 8 megapixil camera. This i really miss, I have a baby and take tons of pictures...

8>Does not run POYNT app (yet) my favorite BB app

12>I can not rename my blue tooth headsets, so if I have more than 1 of the same headset I can not tell which one is connected, ugh..."hold please while I find my head set! Hello? Hello? oh not this one...."

13>No shortcut keys on the side or top of the phone like BB, its always a couple steps that require u too look at the phone

14>I sent a text message to about 30 people last week and it showed on recipients phones that it came from some strange address 12345678@VZtext.com instead of my phone number, I guess I hit a limit of people could text at one time?? - -I think 20 is the max with HTC

15>No flashlight app....used it about every day...I dont see even a way to turn it on manually

16>Under the shortcuts on my home screen for speedials and sms's, thier is a discription that says "Send To Ed" but I can only read the "Send To E" because it only allows about 7 characters and the first 6 says "Send To" so essentiallty where BB had about 30 keys that could be used for shortcuts (each key could be a short cut) the Android has more but you cant read the discription clearly so good luck while driving tring to read a piece of a letter....why cant it say SMS Ed or Dail Ed, that would save some room for a name..
    05-26-2010 12:50 AM
    Since you addressed me for some reason......I will respond.

I agree, can you please tell me if thier is an app for this or do I need to just look deeper? I dont mean to be a stickler, however people are considering buying this phone and they want to know, as I would too

5>Copy and paste features are not always friendly (takes a few screens many times just to copy some things

6>No dock to charge phone without having to plug it in

7>Blackberry 3.2 megapixil tour camera is MUCH better than this 8 megapixil camera. This i really miss, I have a baby and take tons of pictures...

8>Does not run POYNT app (yet) my favorite BB app

12>I can not rename my blue tooth headsets, so if I have more than 1 of the same headset I can not tell which one is connected, ugh..."hold please while I find my head set! Hello? Hello? oh not this one...."

13>No shortcut keys on the side or top of the phone like BB, its always a couple steps that require u too look at the phone

14>I sent a text message to about 30 people last week and it showed on recipients phones that it came from some strange address 12345678@VZtext.com instead of my phone number, I guess I hit a limit of people could text at one time?? - -I think 20 is the max with HTC

15>No flashlight app....used it about every day...I dont see even a way to turn it on manually

16>Under the shortcuts on my home screen for speedials and sms's, thier is a discription that says "Send To Ed" but I can only read the "Send To E" because it only allows about 7 characters and the first 6 says "Send To" so essentiallty where BB had about 30 keys that could be used for shortcuts (each key could be a short cut) the Android has more but you cant read the discription clearly so good luck while driving tring to read a piece of a letter....why cant it say SMS Ed or Dail Ed, that would save some room for a name..
    I'm not quite sure what you are asking? But:

Not knowing how to properly use the cut and paste is not a flaw in design it's a flaw in your understanding.

Plugging the phone in to charge was the design you knew before you bought the phone.

I will disagree about the camera. Got to learn how to use it, but once I figured out some of the settings and distance limits etc, I get MUCH better pictures out of my camera than what my BB ever though about doing.

You're mad because you can't run a Blackberry app on an Android phone.....from a third party developer.....yeah that makes sense totally Androids fault here.

Not sure about headsets being named through Bluetooth, but if you have that many headsets and don't know which one you are using and charge AND turn all of them on at the same time you have larger issues than needing to name it. In most cases people only use 1 headset at a time.

You didn't notice there was only a power and volume button on the phone before you bought it? Honestly.......

You are honestly going to complain that the developer of the flashlight app hasn't made an Incredible compatible version yet, this is pathetic.

Not sure about your text messaging issues, sound like Verizon has a mass send limit. I don't understand how Verizon doing whatever they did has anything to do with the phone. Haven't run into this issue.

And finally ho many letters are allowed on shortcuts.....BB has the same restriction when naming something on the BB. So I fail to make the link between how long your titles can be on the Android with the shortcut buttons on a BB??

I think you should take you're phone back. You seem to be a type of person who is really comfortable with what you have and not real accepting of change, if that's the case I would stay with what you know works. But coming onto a forum and complaining about things that are either out of the hand of Android, or merely something you assume, or something you just didn't pay attention to when you went to try the phone out....wait you did at least look at something besides a commercial before you bought it right? Pathetic.....
    05-26-2010 02:56 AM

Not knowing how to properly use the cut and paste is not a flaw in design it's a flaw in your understanding.

Plugging the phone in to charge was the design you knew before you bought the phone.

I will disagree about the camera. Got to learn how to use it, but once I figured out some of the settings and distance limits etc, I get MUCH better pictures out of my camera than what my BB ever though about doing.

You're mad because you can't run a Blackberry app on an Android phone.....from a third party developer.....yeah that makes sense totally Androids fault here.

Not sure about headsets being named through Bluetooth, but if you have that many headsets and don't know which one you are using and charge AND turn all of them on at the same time you have larger issues than needing to name it. In most cases people only use 1 headset at a time.

You didn't notice there was only a power and volume button on the phone before you bought it? Honestly.......

You are honestly going to complain that the developer of the flashlight app hasn't made an Incredible compatible version yet, this is pathetic.

Not sure about your text messaging issues, sound like Verizon has a mass send limit. I don't understand how Verizon doing whatever they did has anything to do with the phone. Haven't run into this issue.

And finally ho many letters are allowed on shortcuts.....BB has the same restriction when naming something on the BB. So I fail to make the link between how long your titles can be on the Android with the shortcut buttons on a BB??

I think you should take you're phone back. You seem to be a type of person who is really comfortable with what you have and not real accepting of change, if that's the case I would stay with what you know works. But coming onto a forum and complaining about things that are either out of the hand of Android, or merely something you assume, or something you just didn't pay attention to when you went to try the phone out....wait you did at least look at something besides a commercial before you bought it right? Pathetic.....
    Thanks for the great solutions, I will be sure to consult ya in the future... Sorry if I offended your incredible love....
    05-26-2010 07:57 AM
    I am not sure what the laws are in your state, but in NJ, if you are driving and handleing the phone its considered illegal. Thier is no way to initiate a call with out handeling the ohone . From what I understand, this is a common problem with all android phones, never the less, your options are to pull over every time u want to make a call or break the law if the car is moving. Does that need more explanaition?
    Oh noooooo! You really dont want to break the law! LMAO!!!!!

We have that same nonsense in CA! Its pretty stupid! Use your damn phone. Everything in your car can be a "distraction" while driving. Stereo, iPods, other people, gps, hell even kids! What are you gonna do when they say you can no longer have a stereo in your car because to many people caused accidents while changing their cd or what not.
    05-26-2010 11:44 AM

+100000000000000

Awesome!
    05-26-2010 11:49 AM
547 ... 1617181920 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD