From BB to Incredible (Have issues, need help, advice)

elizabethdcs

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Issue with a faulty Unit. Need Help!

I pre-ordered my unit. Within a day, it was clear i have a bunk unit. Something is going on with the screen essentially. It will open and run programs, completely freeze up, dial phone, pick up phone calls. If you rest it on the table, you can sit back and watch all the programs open up, like a ghost is pressing the screen. NOT GOOD. Othertimes, it will work like a dream. I have app killers and there is no rhyme or reason to when the crazies kick in. Rebooting does nothing, have rebuilt system, etc.

I do know that this is a great product, and don't have another phone to switch to right now. Verizon is telling me that they can't do anything as they are out of stock. I waited forever for my incredible... i get that sometimes there is a faulty one in the bunch, but to wait a month is INSANE!!!

Wondering if anyone here has any technical suggestions and has any idea as to someone/number i could contact beyone regular customer service... I have given an ear full to everyone there.

hls811

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I pre-ordered my unit. Within a day, it was clear i have a bunk unit. Something is going on with the screen essentially. It will open and run programs, completely freeze up, dial phone, pick up phone calls. If you rest it on the table, you can sit back and watch all the programs open up, like a ghost is pressing the screen. NOT GOOD. Othertimes, it will work like a dream. I have app killers and there is no rhyme or reason to when the crazies kick in. Rebooting does nothing, have rebuilt system, etc.

I do know that this is a great product, and don't have another phone to switch to right now. Verizon is telling me that they can't do anything as they are out of stock. I waited forever for my incredible... i get that sometimes there is a faulty one in the bunch, but to wait a month is INSANE!!!

Wondering if anyone here has any technical suggestions and has any idea as to someone/number i could contact beyone regular customer service... I have given an ear full to everyone there.

Have you been calling VZW support or taking it into a Verizon Store? If its something that happens consistently and is repeatable you may have a better argument if you can show them in person, I know in the past stores offered loaner phones - I don't know if they still do that and it wouldn't be an Incredible, but at least you'd have something while you waited.

Dirtbikemike

May 4, 2010
Visit site
This is a very good phone, I have been a crackberry user for many years and their is a lot to miss about it, but the speed and surfing capabilities of this phone makes it a great phone; however this is the complain thread so here are my complaints

1>how the hell can android not allow you to initiate calls or phone functions through the button on the blue tooth head sets???? this is the most unbelievable thing! Good thing the built in voice software is incredibly accurate (thouhg u have to pres the phone to activate it) and works across my car. but technically you cant touch this phone EVER while the car is moving and therefore I am not sure how Verizon can sell it legally and could be grounds for returning the phone

2>Media player missing important functions like show some file names when viewing pictures, no folder view ect...seems like it makes its own folders...maybe I need to spend more time with it

3>hard to type compared to having actual keyboard (this is my opinion, I know some will disagree)

4>battery life is really really bad compared to BB, but that is the the price u pay for a powerful phone / mini computer and a large screen. FYI, 2 batteries and ac/dc charger $10 shipped on ebay

5>Copy and paste features are not always friendly (takes a few screens many times just to copy some things

6>No dock to charge phone without having to plug it in

7>Blackberry 3.2 megapixil tour camera is MUCH better than this 8 megapixil camera. This i really miss, I have a baby and take tons of pictures...

8>Does not run POYNT app (yet) my favorite BB app

9>choosing contacts is painfully slow, when I want to send an SMS, why do I have to sort through all the possible email addresses of my contacts? WHy cant it just show the mobile number or at least just the telephone numbers? I have like 500 contacts, each has approx 2 or 3 numbers 1 or 2 emails, thats 5 entries for each contact in my list of contacts that I need to sort throuhg, multiplied by 500 contacts is a lot to look thru. BB was much quicker plus with BB U could look at just the "family" or jsut the "Work" contacts and then choose the ones u want, but I think with the Inc, if u choose the "family" it inserts All the family contacts in the SMS and u have to go remove each one u dont want....

10>Blackberry allowed to create custom groups without having to create more categories that would also clutter up my outlook too.

11>Roller ball was nice feature that made 1 handed operation very easy, joy stick is not responsive, and initiaes a push when I dont want it too and also doesnt move easy.....miss the rollerball very very much...

12>I can not rename my blue tooth headsets, so if I have more than 1 of the same headset I can not tell which one is connected, ugh..."hold please while I find my head set! Hello? Hello? oh not this one...."

13>No shortcut keys on the side or top of the phone like BB, its always a couple steps that require u too look at the phone

14>I sent a text message to about 30 people last week and it showed on recipients phones that it came from some strange address 12345678@VZtext.com instead of my phone number, I guess I hit a limit of people could text at one time??

15>No flashlight app....used it about every day...I dont see even a way to turn it on manually

16>Under the shortcuts on my home screen for speedials and sms's, thier is a discription that says "Send To Ed" but I can only read the "Send To E" because it only allows about 7 characters and the first 6 says "Send To" so essentiallty where BB had about 30 keys that could be used for shortcuts (each key could be a short cut) the Android has more but you cant read the discription clearly so good luck while driving tring to read a piece of a letter....why cant it say SMS Ed or Dail Ed, that would save some room for a name..

Geeeez,,,i feel like a complainer :D its not that bad....
I am new to the phone and maybe some of these are problems are my inexperience with the phone and like I said in the beginning, its a great phone, but its not perfect and no phone is

Last edited:

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
This is a very good phone, I have been a crackberry user for many years and their is a lot to miss about it, but the speed and surfing capabilities of this phone makes it a great phone; however this is the complain thread so here are my complaints

1>how the hell can android not allow you to initiate calls or phone functions through the button on the blue tooth head sets???? this is the most unbelievable thing! Good thing the built in voice software is incredibly accurate (thouhg u have to pres the phone to activate it) and works across my car. but technically you cant touch this phone EVER while the car is moving and therefore I am not sure how Verizon can sell it legally and could be grounds for returning the phone

2>Media player missing important functions like show some file names when viewing pictures, no folder view ect...seems like it makes its own folders...maybe I need to spend more time with it

3>hard to type compared to having actual keyboard (this is my opinion, I know some will disagree)

4>battery life is really really bad compared to BB, but that is the the price u pay for a powerful phone / mini computer and a large screen. FYI, 2 batteries and ac/dc charger $10 shipped on ebay

5>Copy and paste features are not always friendly (takes a few screens many times just to copy some things

6>No dock to charge phone without having to plug it in

7>Blackberry 3.2 megapixil tour camera is MUCH better than this 8 megapixil camera. This i really miss, I have a baby and take tons of pictures...

8>Does not run POYNT app (yet) my favorite BB app

9>choosing contacts is painfully slow, when I want to send an SMS, why do I have to sort through all the possible email addresses of my contacts? WHy cant it just show the mobile number or at least just the telephone numbers? I have like 500 contacts, each has approx 2 or 3 numbers 1 or 2 emails, thats 5 entries for each contact in my list of contacts that I need to sort throuhg, multiplied by 500 contacts is a lot to look thru. BB was much quicker plus with BB U could look at just the "family" or jsut the "Work" contacts and then choose the ones u want, but I think with the Inc, if u choose the "family" it inserts All the family contacts in the SMS and u have to go remove each one u dont want....

10>Blackberry allowed to create custom groups without having to create more categories that would also clutter up my outlook too.

11>Roller ball was nice feature that made 1 handed operation very easy, joy stick is not responsive, and initiaes a push when I dont want it too and also doesnt move easy.....miss the rollerball very very much...

12>I can not rename my blue tooth headsets, so if I have more than 1 of the same headset I can not tell which one is connected, ugh..."hold please while I find my head set! Hello? Hello? oh not this one...."

13>No shortcut keys on the side or top of the phone like BB, its always a couple steps that require u too look at the phone

14>I sent a text message to about 30 people last week and it showed on recipients phones that it came from some strange address 12345678@VZtext.com instead of my phone number, I guess I hit a limit of people could text at one time??

15>No flashlight app....used it about every day...I dont see even a way to turn it on manually

16>Under the shortcuts on my home screen for speedials and sms's, thier is a discription that says "Send To Ed" but I can only read the "Send To E" because it only allows about 7 characters and the first 6 says "Send To" so essentiallty where BB had about 30 keys that could be used for shortcuts (each key could be a short cut) the Android has more but you cant read the discription clearly so good luck while driving tring to read a piece of a letter....why cant it say SMS Ed or Dail Ed, that would save some room for a name..

Geeeez,,,i feel like a complainer :D its not that bad....
I am new to the phone and maybe some of these are problems are my inexperience with the phone and like I said in the beginning, its a great phone, but its not perfect and no phone is

Yeah a lot of this is your inexperience with the phone.

A lot of these things are either in the O/S by default you just need to know how to operate it, or you can get an app that makes it possible. Everything but the Bluetooth dialing, I still don't believe there is an answer to that yet.

GooTz66

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah a lot of this is your inexperience with the phone.

A lot of these things are either in the O/S by default you just need to know how to operate it, or you can get an app that makes it possible. Everything but the Bluetooth dialing, I still don't believe there is an answer to that yet.

+1

What the hell are you talking about the legality of selling the phone?

LOL!!!!My thoughts exactly!

ohboyscott

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm switching from the tour 9630. I also have a storm 1 but i just got over it. It never gave me any problems except it needed a little adjustment on the screws under the battery cover to make the screen click better. I switched to the tour, and it has worked perfectly fine. But like many others in this thread, i just don't see the RIM OS go anywhere soon..which is quite disappointing...

Things i will miss (for a few days maybe)

BBM
keyboard
that's it..

Anyways i ordered my Incredible on the 15th and could not be more excited. I have two other friends also that are pretty set on buying one. But i keep telling them to stop waiting because of the long back order or whatever. Looks like i'll have mine well before them :) but still not soon enough.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
You won't miss the keyboard if you get the right one, in fact the T9 on the incredible is pretty accurate. Get swype etc add the words it doesn't have, much like suretype, and you will be more than happy. SureType isn't really that great once you realize that if you compare it to newer phones the newer phones are just as good.

BBM eh, Gtalk etc is just as good.

schultepk

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Switching from crackberry to androidcentral I suppose.

Have had a BlackBerry the past 2 years and have become very attached. Just could not take the browser anymore.

wyliec2

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I've been compiling a list of questions, because I've been thinking about siwtching - I know some of these may have been answered in this thread, I've been reading it for the last hour or so and doing some quick searches, but hopefully getting the rest of the answers might sway me. I'll preface this by saying I'm an Apple guy who hates the iPhone, and a Blackberry guy who loves his Tour, but still thinks its missing *something* - even moreso after messing with an Incredible today...

1) If I logged into the BIS, I could set up filters for my specific mail accounts, so certain emails I just wouldn’t get on my BB, only on my Laptop email client. Is that do-able?

8330 user considering DI - I use BB Desktop Manager to apply extensive filters - only about 10% of my desktop (work) email is routed to my phone (with varying notification levels) so this is IMPERATIVE for me.

I've seen this asked several times on this thread but haven't seen any responses. Have not seen any answers on other forums either....

With the requirements for corporate communication functionality, maybe RIM remains the best choice??? I'd like the answer to be different but I haven't seen anything indicating equivalent capabilities. :(

Last edited:

hls811

May 14, 2010
Visit site
8330 user considering DI - I use BB Desktop Manager to apply extensive filters - only about 10% of my desktop (work) email is routed to my phone (with varying notification levels) so this is IMPERATIVE for me.

I've seen this asked several times on this thread but haven't seen any responses. Have not seen any answers on other forums either....

With the requirements for corporate communication functionality, maybe RIM remains the best choice??? I'd like the answer to be different but I haven't seen anything indicating equivalent capabilities. :(

I haven't gotten a definitive answer yet, but I'm thinking the answer is "maybe". I think for a gmail account is possible since you can set up filters on the gmail web-client and those will carry over, for other mail clients I don't believe you can filter by sender or subject. I downloaded the manual and couldn't find anything pertaining to it to make me think it would.

Since I'm still waiting for my DInc, I've been prepping my emails - most of the stuff I was worried about filtering I've switched to my gmail account, so that would leave the things I want to get right away on my primary mail account. Its a little extra step, but actually helps clean things up.

wyliec2

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I haven't gotten a definitive answer yet, but I'm thinking the answer is "maybe". I think for a gmail account is possible since you can set up filters on the gmail web-client and those will carry over, for other mail clients I don't believe you can filter by sender or subject. I downloaded the manual and couldn't find anything pertaining to it to make me think it would.

Since I'm still waiting for my DInc, I've been prepping my emails - most of the stuff I was worried about filtering I've switched to my gmail account, so that would leave the things I want to get right away on my primary mail account. Its a little extra step, but actually helps clean things up.

Thanks for the info - I should clarify - my work email is coming from a large Exchange Server incorporating BES....

nneptune

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Hurray! I did it!
I officially dumped the Storm 1 today (thank god), and went for the Incredible!!!
The bad part? They're in so much demand that I have to wait a week or 2 for it.

Sorry, but I couldn't go through all of the pages here. My Storm memory card has tons of pictures, movies, and songs. Can this simply be transferred to the Droid, or do I need to do something special.
If this has been answered a million times, I apologize. It's my first post here!

hls811

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info - I should clarify - my work email is coming from a large Exchange Server incorporating BES....

I'm sort of in the same boat - I currently use my work email on my Tour but its through the OWA (Webmail) link, not through a BES.. From what I've read, exchange support on Android DOES support folders - if thats the case then I think the rules and filters set up on your server should also apply.. I can't confirm this because I haven't gotten my Incredible yet, but thats the way I took it when I read up on it.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Hurray! I did it!
I officially dumped the Storm 1 today (thank god), and went for the Incredible!!!
The bad part? They're in so much demand that I have to wait a week or 2 for it.

Sorry, but I couldn't go through all of the pages here. My Storm memory card has tons of pictures, movies, and songs. Can this simply be transferred to the Droid, or do I need to do something special.
If this has been answered a million times, I apologize. It's my first post here!

I would place all those files on your computer. Let the phone handle the format on your card, then copy all the files back to it. It will work without doing it, but I've seen speed increases by letting the phone handle it.

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Someone on the CrackBerry forums asked this question and since no one was responding there I thought I'd help him out and post his question here:

"So does the Incredible have true speech recognition which can be used for a variety of things including composing emails, while the 9650 just has an app with limited capability?"

Thanks!

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Someone on the CrackBerry forums asked this question and since no one was responding there I thought I'd help him out and post his question here:

"So does the Incredible have true speech recognition which can be used for a variety of things including composing emails, while the 9650 just has an app with limited capability?"

Thanks!

I compose emails (in the gmail app) and sticky notes/memos with voice. You'll need to review the email before you send it, though. If you care about punctuation, you'll REALLY want to review. :)

Still, it works better than I would have expected.

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Dumb question because it's probably been answered before, but do you miss the physical keyboard that is usually a strong point for BlackBerry users? Just curious to see what you think.

there is push email via gmail and exchange, the only polled email is through the regular email app.

yea, with unlimited texts being how cheap they are, the only times i really miss bbm is when i want to talk to people who are overseas or out of the country in general

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Dumb question because it's probably been answered before, but do you miss the physical keyboard that is usually a strong point for BlackBerry users? Just curious to see what you think.

Every smartphone I've owned up until now had a physical QWERTY keyboard. I don't miss any of them. If the Inc had a slow processor and suffered from lag because of it, I'm sure I would hate typing on the Inc. Fortunately, that's not a problem.

The auto-correct feature works very, very well on the Inc -- the phone does most of the work for you. You just tap away and 99% of the time, your message comes out right. :D

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01