From BB to Incredible (Have issues, need help, advice)

nneptune

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I was told by a verizon rep that they "can" offer upgrades up to 4 months early. They did my Incredible upgrade about 2 1/2 months early.. Do yourself a favor, GET the Incredible. I went from a Storm to it and it was a great decision!

Yep. They don't like to tell you, but Verizon will give you an early upgrade price... that's what I did. It cost me only $200 vs the $500+ for retail!

Now the part I hate most............waiting.

The Incredible is in such high demand here, that it'll take at least a week before it's delivered to my door (via FedEx).

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks.

I compose emails (in the gmail app) and sticky notes/memos with voice. You'll need to review the email before you send it, though. If you care about punctuation, you'll REALLY want to review. :)

Still, it works better than I would have expected.

Awesome, thanks for your insight on that. I'll probably go and test out the Evo when it comes out. Maybe I'll suck up the $35 restock fee if I'm not satisfied within the first 30 days I use it. I'm currently debating whether to go with the BlackBerry 9650 or to wait; I'm upgrading from a Q but I've been enticed by this BlackBerry OS 6.0.

Every smartphone I've owned up until now had a physical QWERTY keyboard. I don't miss any of them. If the Inc had a slow processor and suffered from lag because of it, I'm sure I would hate typing on the Inc. Fortunately, that's not a problem.

The auto-correct feature works very, very well on the Inc -- the phone does most of the work for you. You just tap away and 99% of the time, your message comes out right. :D

srvac

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Filtered Email

i don't know if this has been suggested, but after a couple of weeks with the Incredible, I'd suggest trying the following if you are trying to limit which emails are going through to your phone.

1. Set up two gmail accounts, one regular (john.doe@gmail.com) and one for the mobile phone (john.doe.mobile@gmail.com)
  2. In the primary account, go to filters and set up filters to forward the select emails to the mobile account
  3. Then set up the phone to have the mobile account (with or without the primary account) so only those emails get through.

I used a few filters on BIS with my Storm (especially from senders who usually had a ton of forwarded jokes and political commentaries), but I just block them now. I just have a work and a personal gmail so when I get a notification of an email, I actually like all of my email in one gmail inbox, because I can read, ignore or delete them right away and it keeps the mailbox more tidy.

Dirtbikemike

May 4, 2010
Visit site
What the hell are you talking about the legality of selling the phone?

I am not sure what the laws are in your state, but in NJ, if you are driving and handleing the phone its considered illegal. Thier is no way to initiate a call with out handeling the ohone . From what I understand, this is a common problem with all android phones, never the less, your options are to pull over every time u want to make a call or break the law if the car is moving. Does that need more explanaition?

Dirtbikemike

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeah a lot of this is your inexperience with the phone.

A lot of these things are either in the O/S by default you just need to know how to operate it, or you can get an app that makes it possible. Everything but the Bluetooth dialing, I still don't believe there is an answer to that yet.

I agree, can you please tell me if thier is an app for this or do I need to just look deeper? I dont mean to be a stickler, however people are considering buying this phone and they want to know, as I would too

5>Copy and paste features are not always friendly (takes a few screens many times just to copy some things

6>No dock to charge phone without having to plug it in

7>Blackberry 3.2 megapixil tour camera is MUCH better than this 8 megapixil camera. This i really miss, I have a baby and take tons of pictures...

8>Does not run POYNT app (yet) my favorite BB app

12>I can not rename my blue tooth headsets, so if I have more than 1 of the same headset I can not tell which one is connected, ugh..."hold please while I find my head set! Hello? Hello? oh not this one...."

13>No shortcut keys on the side or top of the phone like BB, its always a couple steps that require u too look at the phone

14>I sent a text message to about 30 people last week and it showed on recipients phones that it came from some strange address 12345678@VZtext.com instead of my phone number, I guess I hit a limit of people could text at one time?? - -I think 20 is the max with HTC

15>No flashlight app....used it about every day...I dont see even a way to turn it on manually

16>Under the shortcuts on my home screen for speedials and sms's, thier is a discription that says "Send To Ed" but I can only read the "Send To E" because it only allows about 7 characters and the first 6 says "Send To" so essentiallty where BB had about 30 keys that could be used for shortcuts (each key could be a short cut) the Android has more but you cant read the discription clearly so good luck while driving tring to read a piece of a letter....why cant it say SMS Ed or Dail Ed, that would save some room for a name..

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Since you addressed me for some reason......I will respond.

I agree, can you please tell me if thier is an app for this or do I need to just look deeper? I dont mean to be a stickler, however people are considering buying this phone and they want to know, as I would too

5>Copy and paste features are not always friendly (takes a few screens many times just to copy some things

6>No dock to charge phone without having to plug it in

7>Blackberry 3.2 megapixil tour camera is MUCH better than this 8 megapixil camera. This i really miss, I have a baby and take tons of pictures...

8>Does not run POYNT app (yet) my favorite BB app

12>I can not rename my blue tooth headsets, so if I have more than 1 of the same headset I can not tell which one is connected, ugh..."hold please while I find my head set! Hello? Hello? oh not this one...."

13>No shortcut keys on the side or top of the phone like BB, its always a couple steps that require u too look at the phone

14>I sent a text message to about 30 people last week and it showed on recipients phones that it came from some strange address 12345678@VZtext.com instead of my phone number, I guess I hit a limit of people could text at one time?? - -I think 20 is the max with HTC

15>No flashlight app....used it about every day...I dont see even a way to turn it on manually

16>Under the shortcuts on my home screen for speedials and sms's, thier is a discription that says "Send To Ed" but I can only read the "Send To E" because it only allows about 7 characters and the first 6 says "Send To" so essentiallty where BB had about 30 keys that could be used for shortcuts (each key could be a short cut) the Android has more but you cant read the discription clearly so good luck while driving tring to read a piece of a letter....why cant it say SMS Ed or Dail Ed, that would save some room for a name..

I'm not quite sure what you are asking? But:

Not knowing how to properly use the cut and paste is not a flaw in design it's a flaw in your understanding.

Plugging the phone in to charge was the design you knew before you bought the phone.

I will disagree about the camera. Got to learn how to use it, but once I figured out some of the settings and distance limits etc, I get MUCH better pictures out of my camera than what my BB ever though about doing.

You're mad because you can't run a Blackberry app on an Android phone.....from a third party developer.....yeah that makes sense totally Androids fault here.

Not sure about headsets being named through Bluetooth, but if you have that many headsets and don't know which one you are using and charge AND turn all of them on at the same time you have larger issues than needing to name it. In most cases people only use 1 headset at a time.

You didn't notice there was only a power and volume button on the phone before you bought it? Honestly.......

You are honestly going to complain that the developer of the flashlight app hasn't made an Incredible compatible version yet, this is pathetic.

Not sure about your text messaging issues, sound like Verizon has a mass send limit. I don't understand how Verizon doing whatever they did has anything to do with the phone. Haven't run into this issue.

And finally ho many letters are allowed on shortcuts.....BB has the same restriction when naming something on the BB. So I fail to make the link between how long your titles can be on the Android with the shortcut buttons on a BB??

I think you should take you're phone back. You seem to be a type of person who is really comfortable with what you have and not real accepting of change, if that's the case I would stay with what you know works. But coming onto a forum and complaining about things that are either out of the hand of Android, or merely something you assume, or something you just didn't pay attention to when you went to try the phone out....wait you did at least look at something besides a commercial before you bought it right? Pathetic.....

Dirtbikemike

May 4, 2010
Visit site

Not knowing how to properly use the cut and paste is not a flaw in design it's a flaw in your understanding.

Plugging the phone in to charge was the design you knew before you bought the phone.

I will disagree about the camera. Got to learn how to use it, but once I figured out some of the settings and distance limits etc, I get MUCH better pictures out of my camera than what my BB ever though about doing.

You're mad because you can't run a Blackberry app on an Android phone.....from a third party developer.....yeah that makes sense totally Androids fault here.

Not sure about headsets being named through Bluetooth, but if you have that many headsets and don't know which one you are using and charge AND turn all of them on at the same time you have larger issues than needing to name it. In most cases people only use 1 headset at a time.

You didn't notice there was only a power and volume button on the phone before you bought it? Honestly.......

You are honestly going to complain that the developer of the flashlight app hasn't made an Incredible compatible version yet, this is pathetic.

Not sure about your text messaging issues, sound like Verizon has a mass send limit. I don't understand how Verizon doing whatever they did has anything to do with the phone. Haven't run into this issue.

And finally ho many letters are allowed on shortcuts.....BB has the same restriction when naming something on the BB. So I fail to make the link between how long your titles can be on the Android with the shortcut buttons on a BB??

I think you should take you're phone back. You seem to be a type of person who is really comfortable with what you have and not real accepting of change, if that's the case I would stay with what you know works. But coming onto a forum and complaining about things that are either out of the hand of Android, or merely something you assume, or something you just didn't pay attention to when you went to try the phone out....wait you did at least look at something besides a commercial before you bought it right? Pathetic.....

Thanks for the great solutions, I will be sure to consult ya in the future... Sorry if I offended your incredible love....

GooTz66

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I am not sure what the laws are in your state, but in NJ, if you are driving and handleing the phone its considered illegal. Thier is no way to initiate a call with out handeling the ohone . From what I understand, this is a common problem with all android phones, never the less, your options are to pull over every time u want to make a call or break the law if the car is moving. Does that need more explanaition?

Oh noooooo! You really dont want to break the law! ;) LMAO!!!!!

We have that same nonsense in CA! Its pretty stupid! Use your damn phone. Everything in your car can be a "distraction" while driving. Stereo, iPods, other people, gps, hell even kids! What are you gonna do when they say you can no longer have a stereo in your car because to many people caused accidents while changing their cd or what not.

GooTz66

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

+100000000000000

Awesome! :D

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site

What you are actually describing is that New Jersey law makes it illegal to use a phone in a particular way, not that the phone's functionality makes it legally problematic under New Jersey law. Big difference. Like "handgun" vs. "drive-by shooting" different. Now, if you had no alternative but to use the device illegally, that would be different (e.g., the gun only works to shoot people), but as you say, you have the option of pulling over to initiate a call. That's inconvenient for you, but not problematic for the device.

blunt420

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
are there any bb (perf storm) geniuses out here who are also android experts that wanna help out a confused ex-storm was my first smart phone and i survived makin hybirds work so im not that stupid lol but this phone can do soooo much more and its confusing...neways pm me if your interested and if you develop things i dont mind donating either :)

BrianDW

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Greetings!

I finally had the opportunity to get some hands-on experience with the HTC Incredible and I was sold! In my opinion, this device easily rivals the iPhone and the fact that Android is based on Linux means that it's not locked down in terms of software developers wanting to bring out apps for it.

I'm up for a device upgrade in October and currently have a Blackberry Storm, which has served me well save the major annoyance of having to run the Quickpull app to reboot the phone since it had 128 megs of application memory, which was rather appalling.

I won't miss BBM - I never used it. :)

I do have a few questions for folks that have made the jump from Blackberry to Android:

1. Does it work with free Yahoo and Hotmail accounts?
2. Does it have a sound profile feature similar to the Blackberry
3. Is there a sync app where I can sync my calendar, contacts, memos and tasks with the Incredible?

These are the only questions that come to mind, but after getting some hands on with this device, I was VERY impressed! I only hope that the Android based Facebook app is not as awful as the BB Facebook app. :)

FramCire

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Incredible Questions/thoughts/ideas

1. Has anyone heard when the 2.2 update will be available for DrInc?

2. I am somewhat surprised BBM is so loved but, I wont miss it.

3. Anyone bought a decent car mount? If so, what was it?

4. I am a bit afraid of not having a physical keyboard and I have somewhat chubby fingers, but when I test drove DrInc at VZ store, I was impressed enough to give it a shot.

5. Does Inc come with antivirus on it?

6. Will I make it 2 more weeks waiting for my phone?

7. Anyone want to suggest must have apps for someone going from Q to Curve to DrInc?

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
You won't need the BES. Droids do Microsoft Exchange rather well. I understand in Froyo it will do even better.

That's correct. Via the TWiT podcast and the Windows Weekly podcast Android/Google has licensed the Microsoft Exchange backend, so in the up coming iterations of Android it will support Enterprise more and more. Good news for the Exchange people! A lot of businesses use it!

companionlink

Feb 9, 2010
www.companionlink.com
3. Is there a sync app where I can sync my calendar, contacts, memos and tasks with the Incredible?

Yes! CompanionLink fully supports Outlook sync with the HTC Droid Incredible. You can sync calendar, contacts, tasks and memos/notes all via USB, or we offer a wireless sync of contacts and calendar via Google. All your sync options for the Droid Incredible, as well as a 14-day free trial, can be found here - www.companionlink.com/phones/htc-incredible.html

GooTz66

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to switch - just waiting for the right phone :)

The Incredible is just like its namesake! Droid2 will be out later this year but my next device will be an Android HTC running on LTE and I should just be right in time for an upgrade around that time. :cool:

Heelllllooooo Droid Incredible, so long Curve 8330.. I can't believe I waited 2+ years for the upgrade but man is it worth it.

I was blown away coming from a 9550 let alone a 8330. Had em both along with OG Storm. The greatest thing is that its only getting better!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech