Email FAQ (Updated 7/10/2010) and Q & A Thread

XXXdc5

May 1, 2010
Visit site
For device type choose other, and for model choose Android.

FML got an error. sorry for being a noob lol

what do i do to
Unknown error: Mail test failed because an unknown error. Check mailbox settings

i checked a few different places for settings but dont know where the problem could be or exactly what the error message is saying

this message popped up on what looked like the final step of the email setup process because it seemed like it was able to identify my schools email server and everything. any thoughts?

menmypalmpre

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Please help----- I have a hotmail setup on my Incredible. Messages are received fine. The problem I'm having is that once the messages are deleted, they are resynced like 5 minutes later and all deleted messages show up again. Utterly annoying!!!! Please help. I've had "delete messages from server" checked and unchecked and the issue still persists.

looper_man

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I just found this thread, after posting in a few other threads. I had some questions regarding email that I have mostly gotten answered, so I'll post a summary here. Some of this might make sense to add to the FAQ up top.

I believe I've determined that:
1) Exchange email is a separate App from other email (i.e. no unified inbox with Exchange + non-Exchange accounts combined)
2) The HTC mail app does not provide push delivery for Gmail accounts, use the Gmail app instead.
3) Google Apps Domain accounts can be used in the Gmail App, with the same performance/features as Gmail accounts.
4) The GMail App can support multiple Gmail / Google Apps Domain accounts, but only the "primary" account will sync email/contacts/calendar. The secondary account(s) sync only email/contacts.

A few still outstanding questions are:
5) Is there a way to see a single calendar view that shows both Exchange and Gmail calendars simultaneously? There were some indications that maybe third party apps might support this (Pure?).
6) In the Gmail App, if I have multiple Gmail / Google Apps Domain accounts, do I see all those accounts in a unified inbox? Or do I have to manually switch between them?

I have to say, it's a little bit frustrating that the Android platform doesn't do a great job of managing various accounts (including something as obvious as multiple Gmail / Google Apps accounts). You'd think that would be a no-brainer for Google to get right. I'm currently using a BB, so I'm used to the unified view (both email and calendar), and it's definitely how I'd like to use the device - I don't want to be navigating around all over the place to check email and manage my calendar. I'm basically looking at Android vs. iPhone4, and trying to figure out which way I want to go with my next device...

JF

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Please help----- I have a hotmail setup on my Incredible. Messages are received fine. The problem I'm having is that once the messages are deleted, they are resynced like 5 minutes later and all deleted messages show up again. Utterly annoying!!!! Please help. I've had "delete messages from server" checked and unchecked and the issue still persists.

I get this as well.

It is annoying.

mshamalian

May 18, 2010
Visit site
POP3/IMAP - Fwd Attachments & Sent Mail

I currently have a Blackberry Tour and I am looking to purchasing a Droid Incredible. A few questions.....

When using POP3/IMAP for Yahoo! and Gmail....... Can you forward an incoming email attachment? On the Motorola Droid it would not allow you to forward the attachment only the Email itself.

Also when sending an email does it save it to your sent mailbox on Yahoo! & Gmail? When sending from blackberry it saves it to your sent mail on the Yahoo! & Gmail server. The Motorola Droid would never do this.

Thank you in advance.

Mark

sigranger6

May 18, 2010
Visit site
My Incredible won't keep my Exchange download frequency at "as items arrive" it defaults back to "Manual". Is this a server security issue or just something weird with my phone?

Thanks in advance

flipfone

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone noticed that the HTC email client doesn't work with certain server setups, but the Touchdown client will?

I have been trying for several days to get the HTC client to work with our corporate Exchange server. I can never get authentication of my user account to work through the HTC Client. We are using a fairly standard setup of using our OWA server as our ActivSync server with SSL on. The client always says my account can't be authenticated.

I downloaded the trial to Touchdown last night, setup the account, and on the first try it logged onto the server. Everything appears to work through the Touchdown client.

I am also having problems with an IMAP account that the HTC Email client won't talk to and I am going to try to use an external mail client to logon to that account also.

Has anyone else seen these types of problems on the HTC Email client? I would rather just use the built-in client, but it doesn't appear that it is going to work.
i have the exact same issue. i really dont want to have another app running all the time, let alone pay for touchdown. ill be going to our exchange admin on monday to see if theres a way. i WAS looking thru the phone to see if a security certificate was downloaded but im not seeing anything. let me know if you have made any progress.

XXXdc5

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Got my email to work. For those of you having problems you should check out maildroid. I started using it and everything works pretty well and it supports IMAP push

Edit:

Just kidding maildroid is garbage don't waste ur time

Last edited:

john7760

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I have an issue sending email using the HTC mail client while connected to wifi. While connected I get a message undeliverable error. I disconnect wifi and off she goes. Any ideas?

ALN1

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
My work email is powered by google and the server is mail.turningwinds.com but I cannot get either the htc mail app or k-9 to connect to the server. I just get the message "cannot connect to the mail server to verify your account information. Your server is not responding." I have followed the instructions in this thread and on the Verizon site. What am I doing wrong?

robm15

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Is there an option to turn off or on so that HTML mail images are not automatically downloaded when the email is opened?

junipertodd

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I have not been successful in linking my INC to my company's Exchange server, even though I'm past the authentication stage. It authenticates with my user name, etc. but once I ask it to synch up my email, contacts or calendar, it says "processing" for a few minutes, then gives me this error:
"Failed to create the account. Please try again later".

Meanwhile, Touchdown works flawlessly. I would like to use the native email app. Any ideas? Thanks

jas o

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone found the setting for how many days e-mails are saved on your phone? If so where might I find it? Thanks!!!!!

Nicholbert#AC

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
My Incredible won't keep my Exchange download frequency at "as items arrive" it defaults back to "Manual". Is this a server security issue or just something weird with my phone?

Thanks in advance

I am also having this issue. Have you (or anyone else for that matter) found a working solution? This is so freaking annoying I am about to chuck this phone out my window. WTF!??!?!?

Huge relief Edit! So I discovered you have to ensure you have enabled Auto-sync. At some point I must have disabled it. So there ya go. I hope this helps anyone else having this problem!

To get to Auto-sync:

Settings > Accounts & Sync > Auto-sync (make sure the box is checked)

Last edited:

njfoses

May 31, 2010
Visit site
New evo owner here hoping you guys can help me out since the phones are very similar. So i have exchange through my company setup and im a little confused. Everything seems to be synced up fine except lets say i check my exchange email on my pc and delete messages from my inbox. When i go to my evo i still have notifications that i have unread mail and when i go to my inbox i have to manually refresh for those to now delete from my phone. I have the setting checked to refresh when opening folder as well. I have it setup to sync as items arrive. I thought if i had a notification on my phone and went on a pc and deleted the email the notification would now go away? Is this how it is supposed to work? Thanks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke