Email FAQ (Updated 7/10/2010) and Q & A Thread

TucsonChuck

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone found the setting for how many days e-mails are saved on your phone? If so where might I find it? Thanks!!!!!

Here you go.

1. Open email account
2. Open menu
3. Select more
4. Select Settings
5. Select Send and Receive
6. Select Download Options
7. Select By days or number of emails.

droidmindy

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
When I review an email, and then delete it (menu - delete), it automatically opens the next message in the queue. Is it possible to go back to my inbox instead? This is using the stock email to check POP mail from my home ISP.

I know, it's really minor, and it's just one extra click to get back to my inbox, but if I can change it, I'd like to. I can't find any setting about this, but maybe I'm just missing it.

I thought I would miss push email (which in recent months, has been the only redeeming feature of my BB Curve), but it doesn't bother me at all. This phone rocks!

brina042

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Found a way to get around paying for yahoo to forward emails. Go to your account settings>Set language, site, and time zone>YahooAsia Apparently yahoo doesn't charge for forwarding if you live in Asia.... You can set up your mail to forward to gmail to get push emails now =)

Migizi

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Folders don't update using Exchange Active Sync

OK, I scanned the whole thread, and I don't think I see this issue. So here goes...

I have Active Sync with Exchange for my work email. Works mostly great. I get all the emails in the Inbox quickly, and I do see all my folders. But here is where it gets strange...

1. The individual folders to not automatically download emails. They only fill when I actually open that folder. This seems odd to me - why would it not download emails in those folders, just as it does in Inbox or Sent Items? This is highly problematic for me, as I have Outlook rules set up to send messages to certain folders that are meaningful for me, and it seems absurd to have to click on a dozen different folders each time I want to see what is in them. Anything I can do to get this to work properly?

2. This is a known issue I think, but, is there a way to get the notifications (green circle on the mail icon) to come up for emails in the folders other than Inbox? I saw earlier someone said it doesn't do this, but I am wondering if there is an app or setting to do so.

Thanks in advance!

Migizi

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Adding another problem with email with this phone, seeing if anyone else has had this...

If you try to send an email, and you don't have data service at your location at that moment, it tells you connection failed, and you don't have the opportunity to send it anyway. With my previous BB, and with iPhones (asking users), if you hit send, it will start trying to send it anyway, until it goes. This seems to be the better way for it to work. Anyone have any idea if there is a way to get it to do that?

Vagrant_1

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I've been having Gmail issues for the past few days. I found this thread and read some of the first few posts. The only thing that came close was the thing about wifi messing with gmail sync. I have it on all the time because I don't know where I'll find wifi. Anyways, my problem is that my phone doesn't notify me when there's new gmail, even when there is. I check on my computer and the emails are there in the inbox and then I go to my phone and it's not there. However, when I hit refresh, next to the GMAIL title it would show the number of unread messages but it wouldn't display the new messages anywhere on my phone.

Testing the wifi issue, I turned it off and sent myself an email from my computer with my hotmail account. Boom, the email hits my gmail and I can see it on my computer but it still hasn't shown up on my phone. I manually hit refresh and it does exactly what it has been doing the past few days. (1) new message but no actual new message showing up in the inbox of my phone. Has anyone encountered something like this before? I'm at a loss because I don't know what to do now.

Help.

Thanks

I am having that same exact problem uggh. trying to read this thread to find solutions. I now turned off wifi to see if that helps

Vagrant_1

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Are you using an automatic task killer or manager, which you are using to kill any background tasks and services, by any chance? If so, disable that feature, restart your phone (though I believe that logging in to Google Talk will restart the necessary service), and see if you start getting background notifications.

Also, just to ask the question, are you using the gmail app, or the HTC Mail app?

Ah you may have solved my problem, I always kill gtalk:confused:

Edit: guess you was right, rebooted and gtalk services is running and bam crap load of emails just poured in. Thnx man

Last edited:

flipfone

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
OK, I scanned the whole thread, and I don't think I see this issue. So here goes...

I have Active Sync with Exchange for my work email. Works mostly great. I get all the emails in the Inbox quickly, and I do see all my folders. But here is where it gets strange...

1. The individual folders to not automatically download emails. They only fill when I actually open that folder. This seems odd to me - why would it not download emails in those folders, just as it does in Inbox or Sent Items? This is highly problematic for me, as I have Outlook rules set up to send messages to certain folders that are meaningful for me, and it seems absurd to have to click on a dozen different folders each time I want to see what is in them. Anything I can do to get this to work properly?

2. This is a known issue I think, but, is there a way to get the notifications (green circle on the mail icon) to come up for emails in the folders other than Inbox? I saw earlier someone said it doesn't do this, but I am wondering if there is an app or setting to do so.

Thanks in advance!

i dont see that setting in there. but i know that is IS in NitroDesks Exchange. you might want to try it from the market for 30 days. it fills in all the missing things that SHOULD be in exchange for android.

Migizi

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
i dont see that setting in there. but i know that is IS in NitroDesks Exchange. you might want to try it from the market for 30 days. it fills in all the missing things that SHOULD be in exchange for android.

Thanks for that, I'll have to check it out.

bandroid

Jun 15, 2010
www.twitter.com
I have been trying to gfigure out the following but to no avail:

1) how do you select multiple items? multiple emails to delete is the main thing, i get these annoying notifications from mail security about viruses, etc and i like to keep them deleted, they usually come in batches of a few. one at a time, having to wait a second for the long press on each is annoying and cumbersome and i am convinced i am missing something.

2) how to disable capacitive buttons when playing games? ARGH! How many times i cant tell you i have messed up a hand of poker by brushing my hand on the buttons which are soooo sensitive and losing a pair of aces with a flop of 2 aces kind of thing!

3) A gesture to switch between browser windows? i figured swipe left and right made sense but HTC didnt. no pun intended.

4) Possible to call contacts using voice dial some how? it seems like long press of the search cap button works in rare occasions but few and far between.

I cant think of the rest. thanks.

Momo#AC

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Bandroid- 1. I found that when you're in mail, press menu and the delete option comes up. press that, then select the mails you want to have deleted... that should solve that issue.
2. I have NO idea.
3. Hit the menu button again when browsing, then select windows and you'll get smaller ones to select from. Dunno if that answers your issue...
4. I tried the voice dial app, used it to call anyone in my contacts... it worked... not sure if it's the same feature you're using?

Momo#AC

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Saving a custom scene...

Ok, I made a custom scene, and saved it with a name, however when I turned off my phone and then turned it back on again, it disappeared and came up with a mutated version of my original scene. Any tips?

Also, how do I delete saved scenes that are either mutated, or that I am not using anymore?

bark8015

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
one question. what is the exhange domain name mean?

It's the FQDN of your Exchange server. For example: myexchangeserver.mycompanyname.com.

I know this is two months late, but I wanted to point out that this is generally true, but not always. I work with a large university and our FQDN is in the format of "OWASERVERNAME.UNIVERSITYNAME.EDU", but our domain is literally "AD", which is short for "Active Directory". This is likely only going to affect about 1% of users, but it's enough that it may be useful to someone.

Along the same lines, be sure the email address you are entering is not an email alias. My username is my last name plus my first and middle initials, but if you were to send and email to my firstname.lastname@myuniversity.edu, I would still get it, however, if I use firstname.lastname@myuniversity.edu as my assigned email address, the ActiveSync setup will fail.

JWadle

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Searching Exchange Mail

Yes, you can.
Can you explain how to do this?

I am using Android 2.2 on my Nexus One. I use the standard Android email app to connect to my company Exchange server via ActiveSync. All that works.

When I attempt a search (from the home screen or within the email app), the options are web, contacts or (text) messages. There seems to be no way to search Exchange email.

flipfone

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Can you explain how to do this?

I am using Android 2.2 on my Nexus One. I use the standard Android email app to connect to my company Exchange server via ActiveSync. All that works.

When I attempt a search (from the home screen or within the email app), the options are web, contacts or (text) messages. There seems to be no way to search Exchange email.

Im using 2.1 on my Hero. I open the mail app, hit the search button (magnifying glass) and type in my query. it then only shows me the emails that have that keyword in them.

Preduck

May 28, 2010
Visit site
OK, I've looked and can't find the answer. This has started recently on my htc droid incredible. My gmail works just fine sending and receiving emails. However, my POP email recently has stopped sending and receiving emails. It seems like it works find when I'm at home connected to my wifi just doesn't work when I'm on the verizon network. any ideas?

MonkeyGirl#AC

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Exchange Active Sync Company Lookup Issue

I am having an issue using the "Company Lookup" feature with Exchange Active Sync on my Incredible. Every lookup I do creates a new contact for the person I look up. I am using Exchange 2007. Is this normal behavior? Is there a setting that controls this? I would prefer to not have this happen.

Thanks for any help or information you can provide.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Yahoo Mail FAQ:
*****Update on WiFi Access (thanks iman)***

When you add a new account, select IMAP under the protocol menu>enter your email>enter your user name which is your email>enter your password>for IMAP server enter: android.imap.mail.yahoo.com>security type is SSL>server port is 993

then hit next

for SMTP server enter android.smtp.mail.yahoo.com>security type will be SSL> server port will be 465

Now your email will sync even if wifi is on.

I have followed these instructions on an HTC Aria with stock 2.1 and i get the error "Login Failed". When I toggle off wifi, it works fine. Any suggestions (other than keep wifi off, and use the yahoo app?)

RaiderFan#AC

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Yahoo Mail

When I send email through Yahoo Mail the recipient will get the same email over and over again. Only thing that will stop it is to uninstall and reinstall again. Any suggestion anybody Thanks