Is there a better way to dial from contacts?

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible to get a qwerty keypad when I open the phone app? There's no way I'm going to use an old T9 keypad to find a contact when dialing.

Injektilo

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
u dont use t9 to dial just dial the name and it finds it (ie: you looking for bruce, you dial 27823, it should show you bruce by the 2nd or 3rd number).

zoggybottom

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Company Name Search?

Coming from BB and love the Incredible, but can't figure out how to search by company name. Am I missing something? Is there a good app for this?

Also, any way to have all names go last name then first name? Going through all 800 contacts one-by-one is not going to work!

Thank you!

zoggybottom

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, Cory... I tried it, but it didn't work when I searched on company name, despite enabling the search company name option. Any other good options?

Last edited:

homsie

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
If you really want a QWERTY keyboard, you could just hit the search button to open a google search and then start typing....it'll search more than your phone book (you can configure what is searched under menu->settings->search->searchable items).

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, voice dialing doesn't work with bluetooth.

About my original question - I know we can use the T9 keypad and dial by letter, but really want to see a qwerty keyboard there instead of T9.

There is no advantage that I can think of using qwerty over t9 when looking up a contact in the dialer app. T9 is just as accurate/quick and much easier to use since the dialer is in portrait mode only.

jdposhkus

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I put Search People on my home screen and took off People. It seems like an easy way to punch up contacts quickly, I hated flicking down the list and fast call is great but, search people seems faster to me.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
If you really want a QWERTY keyboard, you could just hit the search button to open a google search and then start typing....it'll search more than your phone book (you can configure what is searched under menu->settings->search->searchable items).

Tried a few times - that works pretty well for what I want. Thanks for the suggestion!

There is no advantage that I can think of using qwerty over t9 when looking up a contact in the dialer app. T9 is just as accurate/quick and much easier to use since the dialer is in portrait mode only.
Mostly because I feel like I'm a teenie bopper texting on some free dumb phone, trying to remember that ABC is on the 2, DEF on 3, etc. And also because I'm coming from a BlackBerry that had full qwerty. I would just start typing a name, scroll to it and hit the phone button.

pmasinvest

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Coming from BB and love the Incredible, but can't figure out how to search by company name. Am I missing something? Is there a good app for this?

Also, any way to have all names go last name then first name? Going through all 800 contacts one-by-one is not going to work!

Thank you!

Just hit the search button and type the company name. All the contacts from that company will come up alphabetically so long as the company name is indicated within the contact's info.

trmoney24

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Tried a few times - that works pretty well for what I want. Thanks for the suggestion!

Mostly because I feel like I'm a teenie bopper texting on some free dumb phone, trying to remember that ABC is on the 2, DEF on 3, etc. And also because I'm coming from a BlackBerry that had full qwerty. I would just start typing a name, scroll to it and hit the phone button.

i agree, i just wish the phone dialer view had the option to view the full qwerty keyboard. i agree searching through the T9 method isn't bad, just takes a sec to get back adjusted to it. coming from a BB tour myself, i do miss the direct dial method.

i like the search people icon too. typically when i go to PEOPLE, i also hit the search button to find someone. this makes it 1 step faster!

mritter88

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Voice dialing works beautifully too. "Call John Smith"

I've been having trouble with the voice dialing for contacts that have more than one number (which is most of the people I call). Whether I try "Call Tom" or "Call Tom at mobile" (mobile is set as the default number) it will suggest like "Call Tom at home" and then suggest calling other contacts but does not list what I actually asked for. I've tried it a few times with a couple different contacts and it seems to be happening every time. The voice recognition otherwise (dictating messages, searching Google, etc) seems to be working fine.

TucsonChuck

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Just hit the search button and type the company name. All the contacts from that company will come up alphabetically so long as the company name is indicated within the contact's info.

Doesn't work in "People" so I just added a group from my Google account and placed all like contacts that way.

johnmet4001

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Coming from BB Tour which had a feature that incorporated an extension in to the dialing feature. For instance to call 888-123-4567 extension 76, the BB would dial 888-123-4567x76. This way I didn't have to remember the extension number during the call. Does Incredible have such a feature?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908