06-07-2010 11:08 AM
467 ... 56789 ...
tools
    6 Hours 1 minute and 21 seconds since unplugged this morning and chaning the "always on" option. I have been getting all my emails and texts and what not perfectly no difference.

52% battery remaining.

Ive sent quite a few texts today, several emails, talked to my mom for 15-20 minutes. and some other short phone calls.

At this rate i expect the phone to last another 6 hours or so.

giving me about 12 hours of up time. not bad, in my opinion. But i could get my blackberry curve to last almost 2 days before i needed to charge it....But thats comparing apples and oranges.
    05-03-2010 07:29 PM
    hrmmm it's now 8:30PM.. took my phone off the charger at 5:45AM. I have yet to charge it. I've been listening to music on pandora for the past 30 minutes.. talked on the phone for about 30 minutes today. have sent/received about 20 text messages.. had Gtalk on all day.. updated weather about 3 times.. surfed facebook lightly.. and searched for 2 apps in the market.

Settings:
    enable always on - OFF
    WiFi - OFF (except at my house it's on and connected)
    brightness is 25%
    weather i have it set to automatically update every 6 hours
    facebook is not set to automatically update
    gmail/exchange automatically pushes email
    ringer was off most of the day while at work.. phone was sent on silent

Current battery = 41%

Right now I'm TRYING to drain my battery before I go to bed so I can charge it up again all night. Playing Pandora, on AIM/Gmail, trying to look for Apps, trying to find webpages to surf.. it seems likethe battery is getting better.. just falls fast at the beginning but does better after it gets past 80%
    05-03-2010 07:35 PM
    hrmmm it's now 8:30PM.. took my phone off the charger at 5:45AM. I have yet to charge it. I've been listening to music on pandora for the past 30 minutes.. talked on the phone for about 30 minutes today. have sent/received about 20 text messages.. had Gtalk on all day.. updated weather about 3 times.. surfed facebook lightly.. and searched for 2 apps in the market.

Settings:
    enable always on - OFF
    WiFi - OFF (except at my house it's on and connected)
    brightness is 25%
    weather i have it set to automatically update every 6 hours
    facebook is not set to automatically update
    gmail/exchange automatically pushes email
    ringer was off most of the day while at work.. phone was sent on silent

Current battery = 41%

Right now I'm TRYING to drain my battery before I go to bed so I can charge it up again all night. Playing Pandora, on AIM/Gmail, trying to look for Apps, trying to find webpages to surf.. it seems likethe battery is getting better.. just falls fast at the beginning but does better after it gets past 80%
    before you go to bed tonight, how about switching the 'always on' option back to active/checked state? if you have a similar day of use, let's see if the battery is worse off.

if you're willing to, i mean. would be interesting to see...
    05-03-2010 07:41 PM
    To me, the battery life on my Incredible seems to be on par with other Android phones I've used. The battery is never going to last as you want. With all the great things these phones can do, it comes at the cost of battery power. I can't say that I'm shocked at the battery life of my Incredible. It seems normal to me. And by normal, I mean low. IMO you have to get used to it if you want to use an Android phone. Or any smartphone really. If you're gonna drop some coin on the latest and greatest of smartphones, spend a few bucks and buy an extra battery, or at least a charger to bring with you.

And yes, while I think its a good idea to experiment around with settings and apps to help optimize battery life for how YOU use YOUR device, it should be noted that it may have effects on other areas as well. "Always On" mobile network is more than checking a "More Battery Life For Free" box. It's gonna effect more than just battery life.

I use my phone all day, everyday for the most part. When the battery gets low, I charge it with a wall charger, on a computer, with a car charger, or throw a spare battery on.

Im not directing this towards you Android/smartphone enthusiasts like me, but rather to all people complaining how "this is unacceptable" "ridiculous" "Verizon/htc/Google/ better address this now" etc etc.
    05-03-2010 08:53 PM
    To me, the battery life on my Incredible seems to be on par with other Android phones I've used. The battery is never going to last as you want. With all the great things these phones can do, it comes at the cost of battery power. I can't say that I'm shocked at the battery life of my Incredible. It seems normal to me. And by normal, I mean low. IMO you have to get used to it if you want to use an Android phone. Or any smartphone really. If you're gonna drop some coin on the latest and greatest of smartphones, spend a few bucks and buy an extra battery, or at least a charger to bring with you.

And yes, while I think its a good idea to experiment around with settings and apps to help optimize battery life for how YOU use YOUR device, it should be noted that it may have effects on other areas as well. "Always On" mobile network is more than checking a "More Battery Life For Free" box. It's gonna effect more than just battery life.

I use my phone all day, everyday for the most part. When the battery gets low, I charge it with a wall charger, on a computer, with a car charger, or throw a spare battery on.

Im not directing this towards you Android/smartphone enthusiasts like me, but rather to all people complaining how "this is unacceptable" "ridiculous" "Verizon/htc/Google/ better address this now" etc etc.
    Well stated. In order to have given us better battery life, they would have either had to make the phone thicker, under clocked the processor, strip out functionality, or reduced the price. We just can't have it all and expect to have stellar battery life, when battery technology hasn't evolved as quickly as these devices have. This phone is performing exactly how I would expect it would.
    05-03-2010 09:00 PM
    Well stated. In order to have given us better battery life, they would have either had to make the phone thicker, under clocked the processor, strip out functionality, or reduced the price. We just can't have it all and expect to have stellar battery life, when battery technology hasn't evolved as quickly as these devices have. This phone is performing exactly how I would expect it would.
    Also good points. Manufacturers are constantly struggling to find a good balance of form and function. If they packed a double size heavy duty extra long lasting battery in there, people would complain at how big there phone was. I absolutely love my Incredible, just as it is. I think htc, Google, and Verizon hit a home run with this one. Also, I know everyone with the Incredible is within the "30 day" period. If you dislike it that much, get something else.
    05-03-2010 09:10 PM

I patently disagree with you, and I think you make a strong point, however I have done a lot of research and I genuinely think there's a bad bunch of batteries that have been distributed with these phones. The user experience seems to vary quite widely.

The only way I can compare my experience with others is by using my phone at the bare minimum that is still functional (i.e., no widgets, location services off, wifi, BT, GPS, etc. disabled, only thing running is Gmail) and see what happens. For the record, I tried the "uncheck always on" method, and it turns off push gmail (I confirmed this twice), and that's a dealbreaker for me. Need that push email.

Today - 5-6 hours this morning. Recharged back up to 73% at 1800hrs, and at 2200hrs the phone is completely dead. Zero phone calls, a few e-mails, mostly the phone sat in my car while I was in the gym or eating dinner. That is *Completely* unacceptable, and that's not based on a variation of user experience, that's doing the bare minimum of what this phone is supposed to do on a regular basis.

And for the comparison to other Droid phones... I demo'd the Droid for a month before getting the incredible, and I had no problems with the Droid's battery life. Not terrific, but it got me through an entire day with ease, and moderate use (WAY more than what I'm doing now). Again, something isn't right with the technology here.

I installed Advanced Task Killer, set it to kill apps on an hourly basis. Nothing was open that was using any data. I did this because the Verizon tech support woman told me to, and wouldn't take my issue any further until I had tried that method. Assuming this doesn't work, I'm going to call back tomorrow or the next day and request that a replacement battery be sent to me.
    05-03-2010 09:10 PM
    I patently disagree with you, and I think you make a strong point, however I have done a lot of research and I genuinely think there's a bad bunch of batteries that have been distributed with these phones. The user experience seems to vary quite widely.

The only way I can compare my experience with others is by using my phone at the bare minimum that is still functional (i.e., no widgets, location services off, wifi, BT, GPS, etc. disabled, only thing running is Gmail) and see what happens. For the record, I tried the "uncheck always on" method, and it turns off push gmail (I confirmed this twice), and that's a dealbreaker for me. Need that push email.

Today - 5-6 hours this morning. Recharged back up to 73% at 1800hrs, and at 2200hrs the phone is completely dead. Zero phone calls, a few e-mails, mostly the phone sat in my car while I was in the gym or eating dinner. That is *Completely* unacceptable, and that's not based on a variation of user experience, that's doing the bare minimum of what this phone is supposed to do on a regular basis.

And for the comparison to other Droid phones... I demo'd the Droid for a month before getting the incredible, and I had no problems with the Droid's battery life. Not terrific, but it got me through an entire day with ease, and moderate use (WAY more than what I'm doing now). Again, something isn't right with the technology here.

I installed Advanced Task Killer, set it to kill apps on an hourly basis. Nothing was open that was using any data. I did this because the Verizon tech support woman told me to, and wouldn't take my issue any further until I had tried that method. Assuming this doesn't work, I'm going to call back tomorrow or the next day and request that a replacement battery be sent to me.
    Also good points! As for bad batteries, thats a different story completely and it does happen. If I had any doubt, I'd bring it in and have it checked. As far as comparing it to the Droid, doesn't it have a larger capacity battery? I'm not sure there, just sounds familiar. They also run different hardware, software, and have different capabilites. Hard to compare battery life. I just meant Andriod phones in general. Hell, even smartphones. With all they can do, battery is gonna be an issue.

Interesting on VZW lady telling you to use a task killer. I know there is a lot of debate on that, and I'm not too concerned with all the arguments, I just do what works for me. I used to have an Eris, and killing tasks helped with that. As my Incredible has much more memory and a much better processor, I haven't even thought about getting a task killer. I'm not ruling it out tho. But I'm off my topic lol. The VZW rep. Brought that up because I'm currently in the process of trying to get both Google and htc's "official(ish) take on the whole "Android/Linux-memory allotment-task killer app-or not" debate. Basically out of curiosity. Intrested to see what they have to say.
    05-03-2010 09:25 PM
    Hmmm, well I have had mine since Friday evening. Gone through 2 complete power loss and 100% recharge cycles. Today, I used it for almost nothing, and it ran out of power around 4:30PM (took off charger around 9AM). I will see how it changes (if at all) over the next few days.
    05-03-2010 09:28 PM
    I don't ever power cycle my battery either. Tho I basically did with the Incredible just by coincidence. I never fully charge it before using it either! Not nearly enough will power to get a new gadget and then not use it right away lol. Tho I do put it on the charger right away and use/charge it to full for the first time. Not really sure if that is what they mean when they say to completely charge before use.
    05-03-2010 09:35 PM
    I'm gonna try it because my battery life has been poor, I even went as far as removing widgets from the stock scenes and still, so I hope this helps, I'll try it tomorrow and give a report, thanks for the tip.
    05-03-2010 09:38 PM
    Hi everyone, here are my stats using a Seidio 1750 mAh extended battery for the Eris but in the Incredible of course (from Day 1 = 04/29/10):

I removed the phone from the charger just after midnight last night (May 3rd 2010) -- I had my mobile data setting to "Always On" :

UpTime: 25:10:20
    AwakeTime: 10:13:23
    Battery %:6 %
    Wifi: On (Only on for 2 hours 25 minutes)
    GPS: Off
    Bluetooth: Off

Unplugged time: 22:03:02
    cell standby: 27%
    android system :24 %
    phone idle : 23%
    voice calls: 11%
    display: 7%
    wi-fi: 4%
    dialer: 3%

22hr 4min since unplugged

My usage pattern: basically a fairly even mix of reading emails (46), calls (47 mins), texts (20), android market downloads (6 apps), watched a video from podkast (6 mins), listened to a couple audio podkasts, watched the new Boondocks Season 3 ep 1 for 23 minutes (converted the video to H.264 mp4), used touiteur for about 15 minutes, listened to music for about an hour, and composed a couple of emails throughout the day.

All in all a pretty good run I'd say -- now if any of you guys are getting those kind of numbers from the stock battery, guess who's gonna be returning an extended battery? :P

Anyone try a Touch Pro2 OEM battery yet?

-Elo
    05-03-2010 10:02 PM
    Wow Eloquence those are WAY better numbers than I could dream of getting with my stock battery right now. Thanks for posting... if I can get that performance with the Seidio battery, it's worth the extra dough in order to justify keeping this awesome phone. Seidio's also planning a 3500mAh (!) battery according to their site, so I'm going to wait for that to come out before I decide. This phone can handle a little extra junk in the trunk to support the size increase.

BTW, OEM HTC Touch Pro 2 batteries are on ebay for under $20 shipped. I'd also consider going that route, but not before I see if I can get Verizon to replace my stock battery first.
    05-03-2010 10:17 PM
    Also good points! As for bad batteries, thats a different story completely and it does happen. If I had any doubt, I'd bring it in and have it checked. As far as comparing it to the Droid, doesn't it have a larger capacity battery? I'm not sure there, just sounds familiar. They also run different hardware, software, and have different capabilites. Hard to compare battery life. I just meant Andriod phones in general. Hell, even smartphones. With all they can do, battery is gonna be an issue.

Interesting on VZW lady telling you to use a task killer. I know there is a lot of debate on that, and I'm not too concerned with all the arguments, I just do what works for me. I used to have an Eris, and killing tasks helped with that. As my Incredible has much more memory and a much better processor, I haven't even thought about getting a task killer. I'm not ruling it out tho. But I'm off my topic lol. The VZW rep. Brought that up because I'm currently in the process of trying to get both Google and htc's "official(ish) take on the whole "Android/Linux-memory allotment-task killer app-or not" debate. Basically out of curiosity. Intrested to see what they have to say.
    Fair enough. I'll report back on how the task killer does, and if I can get Verizon to replace my battery. I'd at least like them to just do that so I can sorta rule out "bad battery" as a cause of this drain. If all else fails, I'll do either the 1750 or 3500mAh Seidio battery. Frankly, I don't mind a bit of extra size from the battery on a phone this ridiculously thin, especially if it means I can power-use it without consequence!
    05-03-2010 10:18 PM
    There's a great variation... On my first day, it took 16 hours to get from 100% to 2% (when it shut down).

Today, I removed it from the charger at 7:00 AM and I am at 45% battery at 10:30 PM (15.5 hours) with data always on, about 30 pictures, about 40 minutes of phone call, and a total of about 120 push email (combination of two gmail accounts and my work exchange). I only plugged it in for about 20 seconds to copy off the pictures I took (faster than emailing them). Plus I keep wifi on and had Doggcatcher download my three hours of radio podcasts this afternoon (happens automatically)...

The key difference? I was at -65 dbM all day today while at work versus -85 to -90 here at home (from the weekend)... Usage was about the same.
    05-03-2010 10:39 PM
    Anyone try a Touch Pro2 OEM battery yet?
    Charging tonight & will try it out tomorrow.
    05-03-2010 11:17 PM
    i unplugged mine at 815am today, by 1pm i was down to 26% battery, i had unchecked the option in the beginning of this thread before unplugging it, sync on, auto brightness, wifi off, and gps off.

the battery went from 38% to 25% within 15 minutes when i was actually watching it.

all i did in that time (~5 hours) was send out about 25 texts and look at 2 websites for about 10 minutes.

my droid would go an entire day (i mean like 10+ hours) doing WAY more than that. i think the battery is defective, as it also overheated on sunday while sitting in a 74F car with the windows down charging.

my normal operating temp hovers around 94F which seems way to high for the phone basically being in stand by.

i've ordered the 1750 seidio battery, if that doesn't help, i'm exchanging the phone for another one, as i'm pretty sure it's defective.

f'ing ANNOYING.
    05-04-2010 02:36 AM
    I don't think the batteries are defective! I just dont think its strong enough for the phone! My 3Gs would last all day into the evening, my new incredible was dead by 3pm today after moderate use . I will check the extended batteries out, if no good will have to return. In this day and age an OEM battery should last a full 24hrs.
    05-04-2010 06:07 AM
    i unplugged mine at 815am today, by 1pm i was down to 26% battery, i had unchecked the option in the beginning of this thread before unplugging it, sync on, auto brightness, wifi off, and gps off.

the battery went from 38% to 25% within 15 minutes when i was actually watching it.

all i did in that time (~5 hours) was send out about 25 texts and look at 2 websites for about 10 minutes.

my droid would go an entire day (i mean like 10+ hours) doing WAY more than that. i think the battery is defective, as it also overheated on sunday while sitting in a 74F car with the windows down charging.

my normal operating temp hovers around 94F which seems way to high for the phone basically being in stand by.

i've ordered the 1750 seidio battery, if that doesn't help, i'm exchanging the phone for another one, as i'm pretty sure it's defective.

f'ing ANNOYING.
    i would take auto-brightness off. i have mine set at 25%
    05-04-2010 07:56 AM
    I don't think the batteries are defective! I just dont think its strong enough for the phone! My 3Gs would last all day into the evening, my new incredible was dead by 3pm today after moderate use . I will check the extended batteries out, if no good will have to return. In this day and age an OEM battery should last a full 24hrs.
    In this day and age phones do a lot more. Your 3GS didn't have any multi tasking ability. That said, I do agree that the stock batteries should last longer. After a few tweeks mentioned by the OP...my battery life has vastly improved. Pulled it off the charger at 7am today and 2.5 hours later, after some emails and light browsing on the web, I'm at 95%!
    05-04-2010 08:22 AM
    In this day and age phones do a lot more. Your 3GS didn't have any multi tasking ability. That said, I do agree that the stock batteries should last longer. After a few tweeks mentioned by the OP...my battery life has vastly improved. Pulled it off the charger at 7am today and 2.5 hours later, after some emails and light browsing on the web, I'm at 95%!

wow that's really good
    05-04-2010 08:39 AM
    Has anyone tries this app:

Battery Saver Widget - Android app on AppBrain

I just found it, so I haven't tried it out, but it is supposed to monitor and automatically tweak things to help battery life.
    05-04-2010 08:42 AM
    has anyone tested if turning off the GPS locator will improve battery life?
    05-04-2010 09:05 AM
    alright where are you guys getting these specific readouts about your remaining battery power in terms of a percentage? I can see the "bars" in the "about phone" section that shows 10% increments...but some of you guys are reporting 57%, 3% etc... I'm new to Android...can't find a number that specific on my phone.. ?
    05-04-2010 09:08 AM
    alright where are you guys getting these specific readouts about your remaining battery power in terms of a percentage? I can see the "bars" in the "about phone" section that shows 10% increments...but some of you guys are reporting 57%, 3% etc... I'm new to Android...can't find a number that specific on my phone.. ?
    Download the HTC battery widget from the market and add it to one of your homescreens.
    05-04-2010 09:10 AM
467 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD