06-07-2010 11:08 AM
467 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    thats a great point here. they are not strong enough for this phone. i am just very upset that I HAVE TO spend money on a new battery to get even half the life of my BB curve. downloaded the battery widget and just after unplugging it 10secs it dropped 2%. 3hrs off of charger. about 15 text 10 emails. 1 pic 3 phone calls and i am below 50% already. wifi is off. active wallpaper is off. location is on. they owe us a new battery
    Have to? Have to! Aren't you within your 30 days to return the phone? You certainly don't have to buy any accessories. Bring it back and go back to your Blackberry Curve. Unless you got a faulty piece of equipment, nobody owes you anything. If you don't like it, get something else.
    05-04-2010 05:13 PM
    Can someone just post a link to a better battery and I will buy one? I love this phone too much to turn off everything. Preferably one that doesn't add thickness to the phone.
    05-04-2010 05:17 PM
    Think if you go to the Android Central store, they have a pretty popular extended life battery. Not positive, but pretty sure.

Here ya go. http://store.androidcentral.com/seid.../8A37A6399.htm
    05-04-2010 05:24 PM
    to me this completely defeats the reason for the phone. No email, no weather no twitter...why get the phone then?
    Agreed. I am willing to tweak a bit, but I will not set my email to check once a day (LOL) or lose all location based features etc.

I will sooner just invest in enough extension cords to be able to traverse the entire office.
    05-04-2010 06:12 PM
    BatteryLife – Beautiful battery widget

This lil widget shows all the appropriate info without using the entire screen. Its small and very legible. I ordered the 1750mAh battery too. Verizon told me about advanced task killer too. I told them the OEM battery sucked and was not up to the challenge of the phone. She was really cool and told me that the 2150mAh should be out soon (within the month). She has the Droid and swore by the Advanced task killer. I use "Advanced Task Manager" I paid a buck for the full version and its well worth it. Look it up and check out the You tube video on the web site. It has helped my battery usage. I cant give specifics yet, but I have over 70% with moderate use today and the phone was off the charger @ 8am. My friend is fairly android savvy and he said that a lot of the widgets that are tracking mem and batt usage consume a ton of battery life, Beautiful Battery and Advanced Task Manager both suggested seem to be winners. All I have found is if ya want it all buy spare batts and have chargers everywhere or wait for the Seidio 3200mAh. You can jump start your car with that one. Can we all get on the same page settings wise and start a thread that uses consistent data with the same settings. As a whole we should be able to find a common link to better battery consumption. Every phone on this forum is personalized, exp: update timing, active backgrounds, FB updates, twitter etc.. My point is if we can get all in line personalized and then compare notes daily we may stumble across something positive. Lots of work I know, but we stand to learn a ton too! Just a thought. Definitely check out the mentioned apps above!
    05-04-2010 06:32 PM
    Can someone just post a link to a better battery and I will buy one? I love this phone too much to turn off everything. Preferably one that doesn't add thickness to the phone.
    Here you are good sir. Ask and you shall receive.

Seidio - Your Single Source for Premium Smartphone Accessories

Although i would advise you to wait it out a little longer. cycle your battery a few times (3 to 5). Let it drain to less than 10% then charge it up. Do that a few times in a row. and then see how you feel after that. Then go for the Bigger battery.
    05-04-2010 07:44 PM
    i just added the power widget to one of my homescreens and have been keeping the auto sync off as much as i can, and it seems to be extending the battery considering.. i know thats not an option for alot of you that need the emails immediately but i can go an hour or two between checking. but i am glad to have this option too for when i cant get around a charger.
    05-04-2010 08:12 PM
    Have to? Have to! Aren't you within your 30 days to return the phone? You certainly don't have to buy any accessories. Bring it back and go back to your Blackberry Curve. Unless you got a faulty piece of equipment, nobody owes you anything. If you don't like it, get something else.
    Ok, time out.

Relax.

Mature.

All good?

Good
    05-04-2010 08:16 PM
    Ok after 10th hours off the charger I'm at 70%. Now mind you its been a very light day for me on the phone. I did turn off that network feature and trimed down what was running in the background.

For usage cell standby is 35%, phone standby is 34%, Android system is 11%. I also setup Advanced Task Manger free like I had on my Droid.
    05-04-2010 08:28 PM
    When you guys go to Settings>About Phone>Battery what do you guys get for the "Up Time" and the "Awake Time"? Mine always match. I always hit the lock button at the top of the phone when I'm not using it. Should the phone not always be awake? And if so, when exactly does it go to sleep?
    05-04-2010 08:34 PM
    there are settings to allow it to sleep. the always on network would be one that keeps the phone from sleeping. There are several others too, one is wifi always on.
    05-04-2010 08:41 PM
    So which is better, advanced task manager or advanced task killer?
    05-04-2010 08:51 PM
    So which is better, advanced task manager or advanced task killer?
    Neither, because task managers are BAD for your phone
    05-04-2010 08:55 PM
    neither, just let android OS take care of it
    05-04-2010 08:55 PM
    Neither, because task managers are BAD for your phone
    Ugh then why did Verizon tech support TELL me to install a task manager? This is very conflicting.

I used Advanced Task Killer today for the first time, and I must say my battery life was improved, all things equal. I made it through most of the day before it died around 10pm. Still pretty modest useage, but not completely - I used GPS for 15 minutes or so, few phone calls, bunch of emails... Pretty average use.

I'll try without the task killer tomorrow to see if there's a difference.
    05-04-2010 09:22 PM
    Tomorrow I am not going to use task killer. I did make it through they with 20 percent left. Not bad. Mobile always on is off. I do have fb and Twitter updating every hour same with the weather. When i use the advanced task killer widget sometimes it restarts sense...is that normal? Not every time but every once in a while.
    05-04-2010 09:27 PM
    Ugh then why did Verizon tech support TELL me to install a task manager? This is very conflicting.

I used Advanced Task Killer today for the first time, and I must say my battery life was improved, all things equal. I made it through most of the day before it died around 10pm. Still pretty modest useage, but not completely - I used GPS for 15 minutes or so, few phone calls, bunch of emails... Pretty average use.

mine seems to die quicker with the task killer on.. but the battery dies pretty quick either way
    05-04-2010 09:29 PM

Tomorrow I am not going to use task killer. I did make it through they with 20 percent left. Not bad. Mobile always on is off. I do have fb and Twitter updating every hour same with the weather. When i use the advanced task killer widget sometimes it restarts sense...is that normal? Not every time but every once in a while.

A.) Verizon tech support are morons, look at ANY story here in ANY forum, and you'll learn that fact quickly.

B.) Have ya'll just tried using your WIFI instead when at home? Using WIFI puts less strain on the battery during data usage.
    05-04-2010 09:30 PM
    Because most Verizon techs carry Blackberry's
    05-04-2010 09:32 PM

previous to 2.1 i think they were kinda needed so some people still use them even though they arent needed for the new software/OS. They recommend them because for the last 6 months or so that was the thing to do.
    05-04-2010 09:33 PM
    I got my phone last Wed. and my battery just now started getting better today. So just give it time guys,its at 84% now and has been on for about 3 hours with alot of use. Just takes some draining and re charging. Charging with it off a couple of times seems to help too.
    05-04-2010 10:22 PM
    Ya'll DID let your Lithium Ion battery stretch a bit right? Come to a full and complete charge for a bit BEFORE use?
    05-04-2010 10:24 PM
    today my stats are:

android system 27
    cell standby 25
    phone idle 18
    voice calls 10
    display 9
    camera 9
    dialer 2

battery is at 35 percent and the up time is 7 hours 12 minutes and awake time is 1:56 i dont know what to think about this.. whats your take? im new to android and i guess i was blessed for awhile by a much better iphone battery (i have no gps on or locations, i have to manually update my facebook and twitter and such also)
    05-04-2010 10:43 PM
    well i just had my battery replaced by verizon and they didnt even blink...said there was a batch of bad batteries that came out w phone....

prior to me getting new battery the original battery would be @ less then 20% battery w/in 3 hours of normal use. by normal i mean read/reply to couple of emails shoot a couple of texts talk on yahoo messenger/gtalk and occasionally a short phone call....also when i charged it the battery got very hot to the touch...

well today the battery got so hot the phone turned off....thats when i went to verizon...

for charging they asked if i used the one supplied with the phone or my old blackberry charger, i said both depended where i was @ the time...

for the blackberry converts the car charger is fine, but the house charger is a big no no according to verizon, as it charges @ a different output then the supplied charger...

so with new battery i charged with the supplied charger....the new battery got warm, but nothing out of the ordinary....did a full drain also on the new battery before i charged to give it a true test to see if i need to spend the money on an extended battery...or if how i use the phone will the stock battery cut it for me....

i cant do what the op said to turn off as it prevented my emails to come thru when phone was idle, they would come thru when i took it off standby..but w my work i need them when they come thru...

have the brightness down to like 5/10%....

not using the live wall papers...do have advanced task killer installed(and was recomended by verizon just to help the battery out)....

first test on battery have not used wifi so cant judge how it will react when using wifi...

its been 9 hours off the initial charge with the new battery. i have sent over 100 texts about 30 emails replied to about half, 2 short phone calls and some time on gtalk and browsed the internet for a bit (have not gone into the market)...closed apps after i used them so they werent running in background...

battery is @ 27%

this is just my experience and how i used the phone today....i am much happier with these results then when i first got phone...and by hour 3 needed to be on a charger cause that wouldnt cut it...

i am by no means complaining as i know this phone is powerful, and it does take some juice to run that way, and i know it is a smart phone not a dumb phone..so i am not trying to compare to that...i am trying to compare to my blackberry which easily gave me a whole days of use and abuse without a glitch.....so seeing on first charge of new battery i can get 9 hrs, i am on cloud nine...and i am sure it will get better with a few cycles on the battery..as in my experience they do get better after a couple of full drain/charge cycles...

matt
    05-04-2010 11:02 PM
    well i just had my battery replaced by verizon and they didnt even blink...said there was a batch of bad batteries that came out w phone....

prior to me getting new battery the original battery would be @ less then 20% battery w/in 3 hours of normal use. by normal i mean read/reply to couple of emails shoot a couple of texts talk on yahoo messenger/gtalk and occasionally a short phone call....also when i charged it the battery got very hot to the touch...

well today the battery got so hot the phone turned off....thats when i went to verizon...

for charging they asked if i used the one supplied with the phone or my old blackberry charger, i said both depended where i was @ the time...

for the blackberry converts the car charger is fine, but the house charger is a big no no according to verizon, as it charges @ a different output then the supplied charger...

so with new battery i charged with the supplied charger....the new battery got warm, but nothing out of the ordinary....did a full drain also on the new battery before i charged to give it a true test to see if i need to spend the money on an extended battery...or if how i use the phone will the stock battery cut it for me....

i cant do what the op said to turn off as it prevented my emails to come thru when phone was idle, they would come thru when i took it off standby..but w my work i need them when they come thru...

have the brightness down to like 5/10%....

not using the live wall papers...do have advanced task killer installed(and was recomended by verizon just to help the battery out)....

first test on battery have not used wifi so cant judge how it will react when using wifi...

its been 9 hours off the initial charge with the new battery. i have sent over 100 texts about 30 emails replied to about half, 2 short phone calls and some time on gtalk and browsed the internet for a bit (have not gone into the market)...closed apps after i used them so they werent running in background...

battery is @ 27%

this is just my experience and how i used the phone today....i am much happier with these results then when i first got phone...and by hour 3 needed to be on a charger cause that wouldnt cut it...

i am by no means complaining as i know this phone is powerful, and it does take some juice to run that way, and i know it is a smart phone not a dumb phone..so i am not trying to compare to that...i am trying to compare to my blackberry which easily gave me a whole days of use and abuse without a glitch.....so seeing on first charge of new battery i can get 9 hrs, i am on cloud nine...and i am sure it will get better with a few cycles on the battery..as in my experience they do get better after a couple of full drain/charge cycles...

matt

glad to hear your situation seems to be fixed now! my first charge lasted only a couple hours like yours, but is starting to get better cant wait for the update to it reminds me of the g1 battery at first
    05-04-2010 11:16 PM
467 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD