Battery life not lasting? Your fix is in here

CRKhead

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed quite an increase in battery life each day with similar use each day...

Launch day: full charge lasted 6 hours
Day 2: full charge lasted 8 hours
Day 3: full charge lasted 12 hours
Day 4: In progress and also tried a lot of the battery saving settings suggested...

These are new devices, the batteries may need to "break in" over a few charge cycles before you can get an accurate test of daily battery life...

I will say that the stock battery will never last long enough for a power-user though...

wavechaser

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Disabling the "always on mobile data" has definitely helped improve battery life on my phone. I left my phone on, in standby, overnight, and it only dropped about 10%. Granted, that seems to be a bit much for 8 hours of standby, but it's far better than what it was on release day and the day after.

With that setting, I'm still dropping about 15% battery in 10 minutes when I wake up in the morning.

After that initial 15% though, the battery drain decreases a lot. Still frustrating as HELL though.

DaveS024

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Disabling the "always on mobile data" has definitely helped improve battery life on my phone. I left my phone on, in standby, overnight, and it only dropped about 10%. Granted, that seems to be a bit much for 8 hours of standby, but it's far better than what it was on release day and the day after.

I did the same thing but tured the animations to some animations instead of all animations and i dropped 5% with no use throughtout the night.

Jonzer77

May 1, 2010
Visit site
So I left my phone on the charger last night and woke up this morning to 93% battery and then through going on this forum I have lost 8% in about 10 minutes. I don't want to hear anything about its a great phone don't complain about battery life. That guy is obviously just a fanboy and doesn't believe they can do any wrong.

wavechaser

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't get this, why buy a phone that is a crazy smartphone media device that has things like friend stream and all the other updating things and disable the feature that lets you see things when it happens and updates and syncs while your busy with your life. This is just my opinion but all I hear is signal and battery drain claims and sometimes they are right because every user is different but I call placebo most of the time. The signal is great on my end even if it show 2 bars (boohoo it is just some visual bars all cosmetic lol) and the battery should be drained, your all using this machine at its peak. It is a laptop with a very small battery. Grab an extended battery and just be done with it, simple fix. And if your complaining about the addition to battery costs... you bought a GPS,Video recorder,mp3 player etc for only 200-500 bucks - some people are just to whiney and don't understand how far we come with technology.

Just let the battery do it's thing for at least a couple of weeks to see if the battery doesn't get better then look for the extended... :) I don't mean to write all this bashing as much as saying how I don't understand stripping a huge smartphone, I am sure theres an LG somewhere with your name on it ;)

Your entire argument is baseless. You are under the assumption that we, as consumers, do not have a reason to be upset when we buy a product from a manufacturer and are not given a completely working device. Or is it that you think the manufacturer is not liable for supplying it's customers with completely working products as advertised, and instead rely on those customers to find third-party fixes in order to get the product to work appropriately?

Your fix of "just buying another strong battery", is completely beside the point. I did buy an additional battery, but the fact that I have to buy it in the first place is what is wrong with this entire situation.

If HTC would have charged me $250.00 for the phone instead of $200.00, and included a better battery, I would not be complaining at all. Obviously, that's not the case.

chadallnutt

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand the problem. My girlfriend has the DI and has to charge it twice a day. I also have it and I haven't charged it for 1d 16m and 50s according to the battery use menu. Now i know she uses hers more but that is with me making 21 phone calls (lasting anywhere between 5min to 30min) a few text, checking my email three times a day. and downloading/updating apps from market. At the end of this message it just said connect charger. Strange

sgtmilstack

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Your entire argument is baseless. You are under the assumption that we, as consumers, do not have a reason to be upset when we buy a product from a manufacturer and are not given a completely working device. Or is it that you think the manufacturer is not liable for supplying it's customers with completely working products as advertised, and instead rely on those customers to find third-party fixes in order to get the product to work appropriately?

Your fix of "just buying another strong battery", is completely beside the point. I did buy an additional battery, but the fact that I have to buy it in the first place is what is wrong with this entire situation.

If HTC would have charged me $250.00 for the phone instead of $200.00, and included a better battery, I would not be complaining at all. Obviously, that's not the case.

Good point. So true.

But I fear that the practice of selling powerful phones with crap battery life won't be stopped. I know it blows but where does complaining and whining get us? Do they (the carriers) really care? Believe me, I've dealt with that mess before.

Imo, selling extended batteries are a way to generate additional income; no cell carrier in their right mind will give that up (look at the srp for D. Inc's extended battery and door~ $50+). Even Seidio's in the game.

I hope that new battery tech will get closer to smartphone tech, sooner, NOT later.

herbologist

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
With that setting, I'm still dropping about 15% battery in 10 minutes when I wake up in the morning.

After that initial 15% though, the battery drain decreases a lot. Still frustrating as HELL though.

I have the same problem. When I wake up in the morning and take my phone off the charger the battery begins to drain rapidly. Its been about 2 hours and im at 80%.

bizN

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Just alittle FYI guys, I did this and turned off the always-on and it did affect my AndriodIRC application. It constantly disconnected me and I had to keep reconnecting. So any appl that requires to be constantly connected with most likely suffer from this. It reconnected my IRC when I took the phone off sleep to check something. So Im assuming it may not do push unless you go to check your phone (then it'll push because it's accessing the mobile internet). Just a guess about that but thats what it seems like

sectachrome

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Just did a little test. With this option unchecked I sent myself an email on my computer. Nothing came up on the phone until I opened the Gmail app. I then went and turned on the always on option and sent another email to myself. It came up on the phone immediately.

Strygun

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Just did a little test. With this option unchecked I sent myself an email on my computer. Nothing came up on the phone until I opened the Gmail app. I then went and turned on the always on option and sent another email to myself. It came up on the phone immediately.
I haven't experienced this problem. The setting is turned off on my phone, but I receive emails/texts/weather updates/everything just fine.

markhunsaker

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
My email worked just fine with this option unchecked. Oil get my email which is gmail and weather udates just fine. The other thing I have noticed, until Tue phone person, the internet doesn't update or work which is tally fine with me.

Slim

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I have had no issues since turning these things off....battery has been much better I got 17 hours out of it with moderate use. Download "battery snap" works really well and keeps very good stats on the battery

Last edited:

herbologist

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I just want a report on some after market extended batteries because nothing is truly a fix yet. My battery still dies rapidly no matter what and I don't receive any updates on any app with "the fix". Hopefully a new battery will suffice.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
The Seidio extended battery is performing wonderfully. It's important, when you take it out of the packaging, to charge it for 8 or more hours as stated on the packaging. After that, it will take about 5 charges for maximum results.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
The Seidio extended battery is performing wonderfully. It's important, when you take it out of the packaging, to charge it for 8 or more hours as stated on the packaging. After that, it will take about 5 charges for maximum results.

Wonderfully = how many additional hours, please?

And, would you say that your primary use is email and posting on forums?

Thanks.

sum spicy rice

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

Great info. Is it a much better improvement then the stock battery?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Wonderfully = how many additional hours, please?

And, would you say that your primary use is email and posting on forums?

Thanks.

Great info. Is it a much better improvement then the stock battery?

It's been off the charger since 7:30 DST. I've had 0 phone calls, but I've been texting back and forth all day with a few friends, browsing the web, and the backlight is almost always on because I can't stop playing with it (the phone). I have 1 Exchange account & 1 IMAP account. Between the 2, I've received about 15 emails today (lighter than my work week). It is now 5:08 DST and my battery is at 42%. The stock battery would have been dead hours ago.

I can report back tomorrow night after using it on a workday, when I've had phone call usage from 2-3 hours and receive about 40 emails throughout the day. I'm sure this will decrease the battery life by a few hours.