Battery life not lasting? Your fix is in here

palomosan

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm gonna try it because my battery life has been poor, I even went as far as removing widgets from the stock scenes and still, so I hope this helps, I'll try it tomorrow and give a report, thanks for the tip.

Eloquence

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone, here are my stats using a Seidio 1750 mAh extended battery for the Eris but in the Incredible of course (from Day 1 = 04/29/10):

I removed the phone from the charger just after midnight last night (May 3rd 2010) -- I had my mobile data setting to "Always On" :

UpTime: 25:10:20
AwakeTime: 10:13:23
Battery %:6 %
Wifi: On (Only on for 2 hours 25 minutes)
GPS: Off
Bluetooth: Off

Unplugged time: 22:03:02
cell standby: 27%
android system :24 %
phone idle : 23%
voice calls: 11%
display: 7%
wi-fi: 4%
dialer: 3%

22hr 4min since unplugged

My usage pattern: basically a fairly even mix of reading emails (46), calls (47 mins), texts (20), android market downloads (6 apps), watched a video from podkast (6 mins), listened to a couple audio podkasts, watched the new Boondocks Season 3 ep 1 for 23 minutes (converted the video to H.264 mp4), used touiteur for about 15 minutes, listened to music for about an hour, and composed a couple of emails throughout the day.

All in all a pretty good run I'd say -- now if any of you guys are getting those kind of numbers from the stock battery, guess who's gonna be returning an extended battery? :p

Anyone try a Touch Pro2 OEM battery yet?

-Elo

mobilemedic20

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Wow Eloquence those are WAY better numbers than I could dream of getting with my stock battery right now. Thanks for posting... if I can get that performance with the Seidio battery, it's worth the extra dough in order to justify keeping this awesome phone. Seidio's also planning a 3500mAh (!) battery according to their site, so I'm going to wait for that to come out before I decide. This phone can handle a little extra junk in the trunk to support the size increase.

BTW, OEM HTC Touch Pro 2 batteries are on ebay for under $20 shipped. I'd also consider going that route, but not before I see if I can get Verizon to replace my stock battery first.

mobilemedic20

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Also good points! As for bad batteries, thats a different story completely and it does happen. If I had any doubt, I'd bring it in and have it checked. As far as comparing it to the Droid, doesn't it have a larger capacity battery? I'm not sure there, just sounds familiar. They also run different hardware, software, and have different capabilites. Hard to compare battery life. I just meant Andriod phones in general. Hell, even smartphones. With all they can do, battery is gonna be an issue.

Interesting on VZW lady telling you to use a task killer. I know there is a lot of debate on that, and I'm not too concerned with all the arguments, I just do what works for me. I used to have an Eris, and killing tasks helped with that. As my Incredible has much more memory and a much better processor, I haven't even thought about getting a task killer. I'm not ruling it out tho. But I'm off my topic lol. The VZW rep. Brought that up because I'm currently in the process of trying to get both Google and htc's "official(ish) take on the whole "Android/Linux-memory allotment-task killer app-or not" debate. Basically out of curiosity. Intrested to see what they have to say.

Fair enough. I'll report back on how the task killer does, and if I can get Verizon to replace my battery. I'd at least like them to just do that so I can sorta rule out "bad battery" as a cause of this drain. If all else fails, I'll do either the 1750 or 3500mAh Seidio battery. Frankly, I don't mind a bit of extra size from the battery on a phone this ridiculously thin, especially if it means I can power-use it without consequence!

jeffreycentex

May 4, 2010
Visit site
There's a great variation... On my first day, it took 16 hours to get from 100% to 2% (when it shut down).

Today, I removed it from the charger at 7:00 AM and I am at 45% battery at 10:30 PM (15.5 hours) with data always on, about 30 pictures, about 40 minutes of phone call, and a total of about 120 push email (combination of two gmail accounts and my work exchange). I only plugged it in for about 20 seconds to copy off the pictures I took (faster than emailing them). Plus I keep wifi on and had Doggcatcher download my three hours of radio podcasts this afternoon (happens automatically)...

The key difference? I was at -65 dbM all day today while at work versus -85 to -90 here at home (from the weekend)... Usage was about the same.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
i unplugged mine at 815am today, by 1pm i was down to 26% battery, i had unchecked the option in the beginning of this thread before unplugging it, sync on, auto brightness, wifi off, and gps off.

the battery went from 38% to 25% within 15 minutes when i was actually watching it.

all i did in that time (~5 hours) was send out about 25 texts and look at 2 websites for about 10 minutes.

my droid would go an entire day (i mean like 10+ hours) doing WAY more than that. i think the battery is defective, as it also overheated on sunday while sitting in a 74F car with the windows down charging.

my normal operating temp hovers around 94F which seems way to high for the phone basically being in stand by.

i've ordered the 1750 seidio battery, if that doesn't help, i'm exchanging the phone for another one, as i'm pretty sure it's defective.

f'ing ANNOYING.

SeanNYC76

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the batteries are defective! I just dont think its strong enough for the phone! My 3Gs would last all day into the evening, my new incredible was dead by 3pm today after moderate use . I will check the extended batteries out, if no good will have to return. In this day and age an OEM battery should last a full 24hrs.

sum spicy rice

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
i unplugged mine at 815am today, by 1pm i was down to 26% battery, i had unchecked the option in the beginning of this thread before unplugging it, sync on, auto brightness, wifi off, and gps off.

the battery went from 38% to 25% within 15 minutes when i was actually watching it.

all i did in that time (~5 hours) was send out about 25 texts and look at 2 websites for about 10 minutes.

my droid would go an entire day (i mean like 10+ hours) doing WAY more than that. i think the battery is defective, as it also overheated on sunday while sitting in a 74F car with the windows down charging.

my normal operating temp hovers around 94F which seems way to high for the phone basically being in stand by.

i've ordered the 1750 seidio battery, if that doesn't help, i'm exchanging the phone for another one, as i'm pretty sure it's defective.

f'ing ANNOYING.

i would take auto-brightness off. i have mine set at 25%

jgurnett

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I don't think the batteries are defective! I just dont think its strong enough for the phone! My 3Gs would last all day into the evening, my new incredible was dead by 3pm today after moderate use . I will check the extended batteries out, if no good will have to return. In this day and age an OEM battery should last a full 24hrs.

In this day and age phones do a lot more. Your 3GS didn't have any multi tasking ability. That said, I do agree that the stock batteries should last longer. After a few tweeks mentioned by the OP...my battery life has vastly improved. Pulled it off the charger at 7am today and 2.5 hours later, after some emails and light browsing on the web, I'm at 95%!

sum spicy rice

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
In this day and age phones do a lot more. Your 3GS didn't have any multi tasking ability. That said, I do agree that the stock batteries should last longer. After a few tweeks mentioned by the OP...my battery life has vastly improved. Pulled it off the charger at 7am today and 2.5 hours later, after some emails and light browsing on the web, I'm at 95%!

wow that's really good

dustinfrank

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
alright where are you guys getting these specific readouts about your remaining battery power in terms of a percentage? I can see the "bars" in the "about phone" section that shows 10% increments...but some of you guys are reporting 57%, 3% etc... I'm new to Android...can't find a number that specific on my phone.. ?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
alright where are you guys getting these specific readouts about your remaining battery power in terms of a percentage? I can see the "bars" in the "about phone" section that shows 10% increments...but some of you guys are reporting 57%, 3% etc... I'm new to Android...can't find a number that specific on my phone.. ?

Download the HTC battery widget from the market and add it to one of your homescreens.

bulldogmoe7

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site

thats a great point here. they are not strong enough for this phone. i am just very upset that I HAVE TO spend money on a new battery to get even half the life of my BB curve. downloaded the battery widget and just after unplugging it 10secs it dropped 2%. 3hrs off of charger. about 15 text 10 emails. 1 pic 3 phone calls and i am below 50% already. wifi is off. active wallpaper is off. location is on. they owe us a new battery

WiseAndEck

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but I downloaded the Advanced Task Manager at the advice of my brother-in-law. I killed all my apps before I went to bed last night, only to realize I killed my CLOCK app as well. Sooooo.....my alarm didn't go off this morning and I'm pretty sure that's the reason.

So I guess I'll kill everything except the clock from now on.

The Bear

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm coming from a Blackberry Storm 2 to the HTC Incredible. I thought the battery on my storm sucked, but the incredible is much worse. At first, my battery life sucked on the HTC, but has improved.

BTW - I still have the wireless "always on", I havent unchecked it and tried that yet, I might have to tho. After the first few days of charging it when I could, I have drained the battery fully and at night I turned the phone off and charged it until I woke up (approximately 6-8 hours). Today, I've had the phone on with moderate use and I'm at 81% after 4 hours, still not good, but not horrible either.

I believe that it takes a few days to "train" the battery. It's important to drain the battery fully, or at least to 2-10%, then turn your phone off and charge it for at least 3-5 hours.

Hopefully there will be an update or new battery released for the phone that will allow us to take full advantage of what this phone has to offer. It's indeed 'incredible" outside of the battery life.

wavechaser

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Day one with the 1750 mAh battery, already a WORLD of a difference.

I take the phone off the charger at 6:00am.

Original Battery @ 7:00 am - ~85%
New Battery @ 7:00 am - 99%

Original Battery @ 8:00 - ~80%
New Battery @ 8:00 - 97%

Mind you, this is the first use since its initial 8 hour charge upon arrival, so I expect this battery life to get even better. Either way, it's a massive difference. I honestly think a lot of the issues I had with my original battery were due to the fact that I didn't do the initial full charge before use. One of my co-workers got the same phone, and his battery lasts twice as long as mine, and I'm pretty sure he did a full charge when he first got his phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae