We're NOT getting ginger

abc1234

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I was bored the other day so I decided to mail htc about our 'upcoming update', unfortunately the reply was not a good one. Here's what they said,

I understand you want to know if the Incredible will recieve the Gingerbread update.

Bobby, our goal is to give every customer the best possible experience on every phone. Every HTC phone is a combination of a unique HTC hardware and software experience and a core operating system. We only update our phones if it will provide an overall improved user experience as we balance features, performance and usability. Because of this, we will only update the following phones to Gingerbread

Desire HD, Desire Z, Desire, Evo, Evo Shift, MyTouch 4G, G2, Thunderbolt, Incredible-S, Incredible-S VZW.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I would take that with a grain of salt. The customer service reps who answer e-mails have no real idea what's going on.

We know HTC has been working on it because there was a leak of Gingerbread for the DInc 2 months ago.

It's possible that VZW will not release it, but it's still a very popular phone on the network so I don't see them abandoning it completely.

Time will tell though. Thanks for posting you response. Any and all information is always appreciated.

rosser

Former Advisor
Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I would take that with a grain of salt. The customer service reps who answer e-mails have no real idea what's going on.

We know HTC has been working on it because there was a leak of Gingerbread for the DInc 2 months ago.

It's possible that VZW will not release it, but it's still a very popular phone on the network so I don't see them abandoning it completely.

Time will tell though. Thanks for posting you response. Any and all information is always appreciated.
Theres no way we aren't getting GB.

1. Thats what they said about the Desire but it got it anyway
2. The reps also said the TB was to get GB in Q2, well the TB owners don't have it yet.

I really want to give them some choice words but I'm not gonna. At least we have our GB leak. Ehh....

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Don't wait for Verizon...root your phone...it's way past it's EOL with Verizon anyway so what's the hold up?! I could see the whole "rooting is a big step" argument last summer after the Inc had just come out and people were still finding they're way around but come on, that was a year ago! Any one getting an Inc now should know it's past it's time despite still being a very powerful device. Root that baby and get your Gingerbread on stat!! Whats the worst that could happen...you have a problem, someone here on Android Central sorts you out (the Stig probably) and you enjoy life knowing you've got a kick a$$ phone rocking an update you know the stock Inc's probably will never get to see....seems like a fair trade.

Darkblue31

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I sent HTC an email asking if there is any idea if GB was coming to the incredible or not, now I just got this emailed response

Dear ,

I understand you would like some information about Gingerbread on the Incredible. I know how important it is to get the latest software and I will be happy to assist. I do not have an ETA for the update; essentially the moment HTC and Verizon both complete quality assurance testing the update will be pushed over the air to users and I cannot predict precisely when that will happen. I can tell you that our devices at technical support just received a build of the update so we can support users once it goes live, so that is probably a good sign. My apologies I don't have a specific date for you, however.

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number 11USCW33ENA001972.

Sincerely,

Douglas

HTC

Want to see what others are saying? Have a question to ask other HTC fans?

Become a fan of HTC facebook.com/htc
Follow us on Twitter twitter.com/htc
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel youtube.com/htc

Explore our development resources developer.htc.com

We are unable to receive replies to this email account. Please visit us at htc.com if you have any questions or need further assistance.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
That last email gives me a glimmer of hope even though I'm already itching for an upgrade as soon as something else (GS2?) drops. I'm ready to leave the DInc in my drawer of retired hardware.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

utahg8r

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Just Root it, I finally did mine, and it is so much better now. No more low space warnings, which were driving me crazy. It's a big step but just do it.

RIMMAN

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Just Root it, I finally did mine, and it is so much better now. No more low space warnings, which were driving me crazy. It's a big step but just do it.

QFT!!!!

I knows it feels like a huge undertaking, but rooting is very simple and flashing ROM's is even easier. It truly does bring new life to the Inc.

I'm running Ginger right now and LOVING it.

RIMMAN

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
How do you know which ROM to install? And then how do you keep up with updates to it?

You can install any ROM you like that has been cooked up for the Inc. There are 2 main "flavors" of ROMs. Sense based ROM's which incorporate HTC's Sense skin for the android OS and then there are AOSP ROM's which are basically "vanilla" based ROM's running plain ol' Android with no themeing on top of it.

You can keep up to date several different ways:
* Follow the thread where the ROM was posted as the chef (author) will more than likey keep that post updated with the latest version or
* you can download ROM manager and get the updates from that app, although I don't recommend using ROM Manager to flash ROMs.

CGWaters

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Which ROM flavor do you use? How frequently do ROMs get updated? Does each update require the phone to be wiped and the apps reloaded? Lastly, are there any HTC native apps/functionality I would miss by rooting...that aren't available elsewhere?

RIMMAN

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Which ROM flavor do you use? How frequently do ROMs get updated? Does each update require the phone to be wiped and the apps reloaded? Lastly, are there any HTC native apps/functionality I would miss by rooting...that aren't available elsewhere?

* I have used both Sense based ROMs (Skyraider), and AOSP based ROM's (Cyanogenmod)
* The frequency at which a ROM is updated is all dependant on the person who created it. Cyanogen has a "nightly" build in which an updated version with tweaks comes out almost everyday.
* When flashing a ROM for the first time (after making a nandroid backup) you should perform a full wipe of the phone (data) as well as wipe the cache and dalvik. Once you have a ROM installed and you want to update it based on the authors new version, most of the time you can just flash the update over the current ROM without wiping anything, although it's a good idea to always wipe cache and dalvik.
* HTC's native functionality is built into the Sense theme/skin that works on top of the Android OS. I'm not sure if you would be missing anythign as it's a matter of personal taste. I really enjoy Sense and think Skyraider does a great job of building on it. About 2 weeks ago I flashed Cyanogen for the first time and I absolutely love it. I still love Sense, but there are few Sense based ROM's that get it right in delivering a stable ROM that runs smooth IMO.

I hope this answers your question. post if you have more and good luck rooting.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
@ DINC

Do you regularly find yourself dealing with broken features, like GPS, when you try various rooting options?

CGWaters

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
* I have used both Sense based ROMs (Skyraider), and AOSP based ROM's (Cyanogenmod)
* The frequency at which a ROM is updated is all dependant on the person who created it. Cyanogen has a "nightly" build in which an updated version with tweaks comes out almost everyday.
* When flashing a ROM for the first time (after making a nandroid backup) you should perform a full wipe of the phone (data) as well as wipe the cache and dalvik. Once you have a ROM installed and you want to update it based on the authors new version, most of the time you can just flash the update over the current ROM without wiping anything, although it's a good idea to always wipe cache and dalvik.
* HTC's native functionality is built into the Sense theme/skin that works on top of the Android OS. I'm not sure if you would be missing anythign as it's a matter of personal taste. I really enjoy Sense and think Skyraider does a great job of building on it. About 2 weeks ago I flashed Cyanogen for the first time and I absolutely love it. I still love Sense, but there are few Sense based ROM's that get it right in delivering a stable ROM that runs smooth IMO.

I hope this answers your question. post if you have more and good luck rooting.
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I had already heard about the Cyanogen ROMs but not the Sense-based ones. Never having run vanilla-based Android, I'm unsure what functionality I would lose by rooting. I suppose the easiest way to find out is to try it!

I know it's possible (and probably strongly recommended) that I backup my current (i.e., official) ROM first. And I realize that after rooting, I would need to re-install and re-configure my apps. But if I end up reverting to the official ROM, do I need to re-install and re-configure again there, too? Or does the pre-root backup back up *everything* on the phone (other than the contents of the SD, of course).

RIMMAN

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
@ DINC

Do you regularly find yourself dealing with broken features, like GPS, when you try various rooting options?

I actually haven't run into any issues/broken features when I flash different ROM's. I'm a bit anal and I do as much research as possible before I flash so I know what I'm getting into. If I read a ROM's post and there is a lot of feedback regarding GPS issues, or camera issues, or whatever, then I won't flash it.

Reactions: TBolt

RIMMAN

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I had already heard about the Cyanogen ROMs but not the Sense-based ones. Never having run vanilla-based Android, I'm unsure what functionality I would lose by rooting. I suppose the easiest way to find out is to try it!

I know it's possible (and probably strongly recommended) that I backup my current (i.e., official) ROM first. And I realize that after rooting, I would need to re-install and re-configure my apps. But if I end up reverting to the official ROM, do I need to re-install and re-configure again there, too? Or does the pre-root backup back up *everything* on the phone (other than the contents of the SD, of course).

Honestly, if you are going with a well known ROM, then you shouldn't be loosing any functionality at all. There might be small functionality differences, like no 720P video recording on a particular ROM, but for the most part everything that was there when you got the stock phone, from a functionality standpoint, is there when you flash a ROM. Again, mileage will vary based on the ROM, but a "vanilla" ROM will have the same functions as a Sense ROM with out the extra code overlaying the original OS. There may be different apps and such, but the basic functionality should be there.

As far as backing up, when you perform a nandroid back up it basically takes a snapshot "image" of your phone and everything that's on it so if you want to revert back you just flash the back up and it's like nothing ever happened.

If you use Titanium Backup to make a back up of all your apps and data then you can just use Titanium to reload all that stuff after you flash a new ROM (flashing a new ROM deletes all your current apps)

I kow it all sounds daunting if you have never done it, but if you read all the info out there and use these forums to ask any lingering questions, the process will go without a hitch.

CGWaters

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
You mentioned Titanium Backup for backing up, presumably between ROM updates after the phone has been rooted. Can I use an app like AppBrain to automatically re-install all of my apps after I root for the first time?

Also, can apps from the Amazon Appstore be installed on rooted phones?

BTW, what's in it for the ROM authors? And when a new / the next version of Android is released, how likely is it that these authors will continue to support the Dinc with new ROMs? (Not that HTC and VZW seem to be supporting the device anymore!)

RIMMAN

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
You mentioned Titanium Backup for backing up, presumably between ROM updates after the phone has been rooted. Can I use an app like AppBrain to automatically re-install all of my apps after I root for the first time?

Also, can apps from the Amazon Appstore be installed on rooted phones?

BTW, what's in it for the ROM authors? And when a new / the next version of Android is released, how likely is it that these authors will continue to support the Dinc with new ROMs? (Not that HTC and VZW seem to be supporting the device anymore!)

I'm not sure about Appbrain, but I'm pretty sure it does not back up your apps or the data the apps save (game saves, calendar entries etc...) Titanium allows you to actually back up the app itself as well as the data that app created.

Yes, you can re install apps downloaded from the Amazon App Store. All you have to do it reload the actual Amazon App Store app to your phone, and once it's open, hit menu and then "My Apps" The Amazon App Store saves all your apps. You can even keep them all and reload them onto a new device if and when you decide to upgrade your phone.

As for whats in it for the ROM authors.... they do it out of personal satisfaction and a love for creating something that a wipe group of people can use and enjoy. If a ROM gets 'big" enough, I'm sure it also creates recognition for the person, or group of people that developed it which I'm sure might lead to other projects. It's up to the author as to when and how often they update a ROM. Skyraider still supports the Inc even though he has moved on to a Thunderbolt as his personal phone. At the point that no one at all, anywhere, is developing a ROM for a certain device, then I would think that it might be time to move on to a newer more current device.

Reactions: Wanda

CGWaters

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for answering all of these questions!

It would seem that there is only one 'pain point' -- re-installing and re-configuring all of my apps after rooting the first time. Is that correct?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20