App Management

mike pertz

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Since it is not advised to use app killers or process management because it can result in operation problems, how can you manage apps?

Would going menu, settings, applications, running services, then shut off applications you dont want running be the best/safest way to manage these applications to get optimum performance and battery life?

If so, i noticed while playing music over the speaker phone from my sd card, i stoped the music app by doing the previously mentioned way, and the music kept playing untill i clicked on the music app icon .... So not sure if doing it that way will actually shut down the app???

Experts....

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Since it is not advised to use app killers or process management because it can result in operation problems, how can you manage apps?

Would going menu, settings, applications, running services, then shut off applications you dont want running be the best/safest way to manage these applications to get optimum performance and battery life?

If so, i noticed while playing music over the speaker phone from my sd card, i stoped the music app by doing the previously mentioned way, and the music kept playing untill i clicked on the music app icon .... So not sure if doing it that way will actually shut down the app???

Experts....

If you want to stop playing music, use the pause button in the media player just like you use the stop button.

Do not use task managers, they cause undesirable issues, as stated in the FAQ. Also, don't worry about managing memory, apps, or processes, as Android does this for you.

There are a few exceptions, so for a more detailed explanation, please check out this article.

eth555

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I have been using mine heavily since Thursday and have not stopped or attempted to stop one app, I have not had any issues or slowdowns! This phone is awesome compared to my Storm, which on some days I had to pull the battery 3 times in a day!

mr.s4ndm4n

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
This is my assumption....

Task Killer programs were MAINLY designed to provide better performance when the phone is getting bogged down. I've had LOTS of apps running and my Incredible hasn't showed one bit of sluggish performance.

My question is, i feel like all those apps that are running (some of which i dont understand why they are running, or how they opened; i.e. Google goggles) are just contributing to the depletion of my poor battery.

Anyone wanna shed light on this....

mike pertz

May 2, 2010
Visit site
If you want to stop playing music, use the pause button in the media player just like you use the stop button.

Do not use task managers, they cause undesirable issues, as stated in the FAQ. Also, don't worry about managing memory, apps, or processes, as Android does this for you.

There are a few exceptions, so for a more detailed explanation, please check out this article.

I just want to shut off apps that im not using to extend battery life.

04redgto

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I just want to shut off apps that im not using to extend battery life.

Did u read the article Cory quoted, to see what apps you could kill without effecting the rest of the phone? I'm willing to bet if u do a test, and let android do its thing for a couple days, then a couple days killing what you deem necessary you will find the phone runs better when android is left alone, and battery use will be close to the same.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Those apps aren't using any cpu when in "standby" in the background. They are merely loaded into memory. The only time those items use cpu in the background is if it's fetching email or data from over the air. At least that's my understanding of it. Android is supposed to be the best O/S for memory usage so I wouldn't worry about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol