Droid Incredible Source RELEASED!

R

Roy Aguilera

ok...newb question #2...

what the heck does that mean? :)

(i now what the OC means, but since this is my first smart phone, not sure what the oter two mean)

You can use your phone as a mobile hot spot through a cable or wifi.

R

Roy Aguilera

urm ok...but it comes with a data plan and wifi built in, so i am still confused....
(dont hurt me....lol)

You use your Incredibles data. So as long as you stay under 5GBs you are safe.
***You connect your laptop to your incredible while you are on the road.

ryujin

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
It means you can use your phones internet connection on your laptop.

You use your Incredibles data. So as long as you stay under 5GBs you are safe.
***You connect your laptop to your incredible while you are on the road.

aha...thanks.

aside from that, the peep at VZW told me i could do this as it was with the data plan...maybe he was refering to when the code was released?

oh well...ill keep tabs with you all here to get the best out of it anyway.

thanks again... :)

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
After you root the phone, you will be able to change the underlying Linux kernel to add in code that allows things like tethering via USB. What's been released is the code to build those Linux kernels.

R

Roy Aguilera

After you root the phone, you will be able to change the underlying Linux kernel to add in code that allows things like tethering via USB. What's been released is the code to build those Linux kernels.

Now in english please.:confused:

kentoe

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Basically, you become an administrator or the ALL MIGHTY POWERFUL USER THAT CONTROLS EVERYTHING. On your phone. This allows for things to happen that normally wouldn't be allowed with the privileges that come with the stock phone. Such as,

Overclocking your CPU
Sharing internet connection with your computer through the phone
More customization
Custom OS's/ROM's (google cyanogen mod)

R

Roy Aguilera

Basically, you become an administrator or the ALL MIGHTY POWERFUL USER THAT CONTROLS EVERYTHING. On your phone. This allows for things to happen that normally wouldn't be allowed with the privileges that come with the stock phone. Such as,

Overclocking your CPU
Sharing internet connection with your computer through the phone
More customization
Custom OS's/ROM's (google cyanogen mod)

Thanks, I was being sarcastic. I have done everything and anything you can do to the Droid.
;)

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

lol. Sorry.

The Linux kernel is the core of Android. It's what directly controls the hardware.

Android is a big program, that runs on top of the Linux kernel.

The Dalvik Virtual machine is a big program that runs on top of Android.

Applications run inside this virtual machine.

Programmers can interact with Android, or through the virtual machine, depending on what they are trying to do. I'll use USB tethering as an example here.

I believe you can USB tether with the Incredible through Sense UI. I know you can with other phones running sense 2.1. You can't do it if you don't use sense. this is because HTC has programmed it in a way that Verizon understands, catches the input and output through the USB cable and passes it on to the OS. Vanilla Android doesn't do this. Neither does the standard Linux kernel used for Android devices.

The function of catching the input and output of network packets through USB can be easily coded into the Linux kernel, and then a small app can be used to route the traffic there. To do this, developers need the source code for the existing Linux kernel so they can add the small amount of code for USB tethering and rebuild the whole thing. The way the current kernel is built, the application sends data to the kernel, and the kernel has no idea what to do with it.

HTC and Verizon have added code into the standard Linux kernel so that the hardware in the Incredible works. If a developer were to build the plain old Linux kernel without these additions, things like the phone, sensors, speakers, touchscreen, etc wouldn't work even though the phone would power on and boot -- the phone would appear to still be turned off unless someone had it hooked to a computer monitoring the system log.

HTC releasing their special version of the kernel source allows developers to add things without breaking other functions.

R

Roy Aguilera

lol. Sorry.

The Linux kernel is the core of Android. It's what directly controls the hardware.

Android is a big program, that runs on top of the Linux kernel.

The Dalvik Virtual machine is a big program that runs on top of Android.

Applications run inside this virtual machine.

Programmers can interact with Android, or through the virtual machine, depending on what they are trying to do. I'll use USB tethering as an example here.

I believe you can USB tether with the Incredible through Sense UI. I know you can with other phones running sense 2.1. You can't do it if you don't use sense. this is because HTC has programmed it in a way that Verizon understands, catches the input and output through the USB cable and passes it on to the OS. Vanilla Android doesn't do this. Neither does the standard Linux kernel used for Android devices.

The function of catching the input and output of network packets through USB can be easily coded into the Linux kernel, and then a small app can be used to route the traffic there. To do this, developers need the source code for the existing Linux kernel so they can add the small amount of code for USB tethering and rebuild the whole thing. The way the current kernel is built, the application sends data to the kernel, and the kernel has no idea what to do with it.

HTC and Verizon have added code into the standard Linux kernel so that the hardware in the Incredible works. If a developer were to build the plain old Linux kernel without these additions, things like the phone, sensors, speakers, touchscreen, etc wouldn't work even though the phone would power on and boot -- the phone would appear to still be turned off unless someone had it hooked to a computer monitoring the system log.

HTC releasing their special version of the kernel source allows developers to add things without breaking other functions.

Thanks, I feel a whole lot stupider now.
LOL
I liked the way you said it the first time better.
:D

R

Roy Aguilera

You know I'm just playing Jerry.
I will buy a Linux for dummies book. :(

syrguy1969

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Speaking of Linux for dummies....I am only 2 days into the Android world (checks clock....yup been 2 full days already) and this thread brings two questions to mind for me (OK OK OK....a LOT more than 2, but I am only goinf to ask 2 for now):

1- Does this mean a root is around the corner now, or is it unrelated to a rooting (THEN I may need the Linux for dummies book)?

2- Is this related to that update I have seen threads around for, and if so...are updates for Android like WM in that it wipes out devices clean and we start from scratch (for that matter, does a root do that as well?)??

Sorry if these are obvious questions, or even unrelated to the conversation, I think they beling here.

Thanks for any info!!

R

Roy Aguilera

Speaking of Linux for dummies....I am only 2 days into the Android world (checks clock....yup been 2 full days already) and this thread brings two questions to mind for me (OK OK OK....a LOT more than 2, but I am only goinf to ask 2 for now):

1- Does this mean a root is around the corner now, or is it unrelated to a rooting (THEN I may need the Linux for dummies book)?

2- Is this related to that update I have seen threads around for, and if so...are updates for Android like WM in that it wipes out devices clean and we start from scratch (for that matter, does a root do that as well?)??

Sorry if these are obvious questions, or even unrelated to the conversation, I think they beling here.

Thanks for any info!!

No and no
XDA is working on root (I think Koush is too)
Paul only worked on root for the Desire. He does not have an incredible to test root on.

As far as the update that is coming I believe it is a radio signal only update.

syrguy1969

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks...I am following the threads @ XDA as well, but I didn't know if this was related to that! Learning every day!! :p

Thanks again for the info!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2