Voice dialing not working

crosserb

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Just got my incredible, but cannot get the voice dialing to work via long pressing the search icon.
Whenever I long press and give the command "Call so and so", it goes straight to a google search. Doesn't even give me an option of people to call. Its like it doesn't recognize the command "Call".
Although Voice Dialer does work in the programs list, it doesn't seem to work all that well. My wife has the Incredible too, and her long press voice dialer search button works perfect!
Any insight to this problem?

crosserb

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Well, I returned mine back to Best Buy today and exchanged it for another one. The new one has the same problem. I just don't get it. My wife bought hers from Verizon and the call feature works.

stibuki

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Found a post that indicated that it only works with GMail contacts and that they had to be in the My Contacts folder and sub folders. But that still did not work for me. Also double checked phone setting and and people is set searchable. Still the phone refuses to (google voice) search anything people related local via voice command and just gives me hits from the web.

Also I just confirmed the I can not transfer my phone book to my 2009.5 GM factory bluetooth but yet it works fine with an Eris or just about any smart phone produced in the last 2 years except Moto Droid and Incredible. There go my quick and easy solution to hands free dialing!

@cainboy BTW mine came direct from Verizon so it's not a bad batch from your local Best Buy.

EDIT: Did some more testing and I would bet it has to do with formating of your contacts because google voice only seems to work with gmail contacts as I stated above and I would asume you imported them into gmail from another contact list like I did (outlook). I created a few new contacts in gmail let them sync and the voice search worked fine for the new ones!

It's late so I woun't get to give this a try till the morning. If your using outlook try deletng all gmail contacts, select "default" field mapping (Comma delimited) in Outlook export, and then re-import into google. Might fix the problem.

Last edited:

crosserb

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm, I had a blackberry before this, and best buy did the contact transfer via there machine. So would I have to make up a few more contacts and add them to my google account manually?

If I restore my Incredible and log back onto my gmail account, my contacts do not restore. I have to log into the verizon backup assistant with my pin, before my contacts restore. For some reason, my contacts are not backed up via gmail account.

Oh, I'm not using outlook either.

Last edited:

stibuki

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Sorry should have been more clear but it was late when I posted. Delete all contacts from gmail not the phone and then re-import from outlook to gmail. Phone should sync automaticaly shortly after that.

crosserb

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Mine is fixed!! I was using Verizon backup program for my contacts, not gmail.
Like you said, once I exported all of them from Verizon backup and imported them to my gmail account, voice dialing works now.
Thanks for the info!!! Gotta love the forums!:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12