Verizon won't let me upgrade =(

August_10

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
So my gf's contract is up and mine goes up in 3 months. We want to consolidate our plans into one family plan and both upgrade to a droid incredible. Currently she is using a regular phone and would need to add a data plan, I'm planning on upgrading from my storm to an incredible.

I went into the store today and they said they couldn't do it b/c my contract isn't up until the August. I've read there are ways around this. suggestions?

Any verizon folks in the DC area want to help out????

jmoney00

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
The stores really cant do to much. But if you call them up with 611 or w/e the # is you would have a better shot at it. it depends on who you get. if they say no the first time you can always give it another shot/

andyandroid

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I just got mine via a promotion that allowed "dumb phone" users to upgrade to smart phones for 2 year pricing even if they were out of contract. Sadly this ended Friday. If you pay over (I'm not 100% sure this is the price) $60/month you're eligible for early upgrades each year. I'll be happy to brain storm with my rep if you give me the date you got your last upgrade and the price you pay each month.

jimracing657

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
i would call like said above and talk to them, i know they have bent the rules for me in the past. Most of the time there are real nice people on the line who really do try to help out and keep the customers happy

kentoe

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I recommend going to wireless zone actually. The authorized verizon wireless retailer (usually in the mall). They say that since they are outside the box that they can get you an upgrade 60-90 days before your upgrade. I was with my friend when he did his once.

dr.duct_mossburg

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I yi yi... So much wrong information in this thread.

"dumb user", whatever that is supposed to mean? That is only for non-pda customer's that are going getting NEW data, have had their current device for 6 months, and are not eligible in the next 90 days. He wouldn't qualify on multiple level's.

Customer's whom pay 59.99 a month or more, may upgrade that line after 12 months. This is for the calling plan, not your total cost.

Wireless Zone has far less authority than a corporate Verizon Wireless store. Indirect agents have NO leverage what so ever, ESPECIALLY Wireless Zone, who is widely known as one of the WORST retailers out there. (I could go on for days about them).

Yes, their are ways around it and yes if you go through the proper steps you can get customer service to let you upgrade early. It depends on who, how, and your reason for approaching it. Just because your antsy and want the coolest, newest phone out isn't a good enough reason, Catch my drift?

Pm me if you need anything (question based). No I won't do anything to help you get it earlier. Not trying to be a ****, just don't want to get your hopes up.

kentoe

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Wireless Zone has far less authority than a corporate Verizon Wireless store. Indirect agents have NO leverage what so ever, ESPECIALLY Wireless Zone, who is widely known as one of the WORST retailers out there. (I could go on for days about them).

Okay Mr.knowitall so apparently I wasn't there when my friend got his phone upgrade 3 months early at wireless zone. Sorry I must have given out false memories or something

sum spicy rice

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Call *611. give them your story and be nice. My gf did it after I read about it on here.. she told them the truth. She used to be on Verizon.. loved it. Went to iPhone for touchscreen.. hated the reception service. Came back to Verizon when she saw BB Storm touchscreen. She hates doing battery pulls and said when her contract goes up in November, she might go back to ATT to go to the iPhone to use the touchscreen.

Girl let her upgrade early (her phone is getting delivered today).. and even recommended her to try out the new 'android' phones that Verizon has.

enilm

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I think it'll depends who you get and what mood their in. I just recently upgraded my on my girlfriend's line that wasn't eligible for an upgrade until end of July.

I called customer service but the rep's supervisor wasn't in the office. So he said he'll let the supervisor know and he'll get back to me.

I had also sent out an email to customer service from my account online. I got an email back later that night saying that they would let me upgrade early.

Next day customer service guy calls me and says that his supervisor didn't approve the early upgrade. I said it's ok because I already got approved via email and I ordered the phone already, LOL.

So all in all I think it'll just depend who gets the call/email and how generous they are that day.

dr.duct_mossburg

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Okay Mr.knowitall so apparently I wasn't there when my friend got his phone upgrade 3 months early at wireless zone. Sorry I must have given out false memories or something

Your friend most likely was eligible for an early upgrade and just didn't know it. I'm sorry if you think I'm being a know it all, but I only work for the company.. Shouldn't I know it all, if not all... atleast most? lol

Wireless zone is a poorly run franchise and has a sloppy name in a lot of region's. Not saying all are like this, but a lot are.

roastdawgg

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded in a best buy last friday. My NE2 wasn't supposed to be up til Aug 8. The BB wireless guy offered to call but assured me they would never let me upgrade this early. He called, and they let it slide. He was in shock. So now I am a proud convert from BB Storm to Incredible.

kentoe

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Wireless zone is a poorly run franchise and has a sloppy name in a lot of region's. Not saying all are like this, but a lot are.

I do agree it is somewhat sloppy and I never really liked them until I had a good experience with my nearby mall. I guess it depends on the people whom run each store I suppose :-/

August_10

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Yes, their are ways around it and yes if you go through the proper steps you can get customer service to let you upgrade early. It depends on who, how, and your reason for approaching it. Just because your antsy and want the coolest, newest phone out isn't a good enough reason, Catch my drift?

I'm not really antsy. I can wait a few months. The only reason I tried to do it now is since my gf's plan just finished up, she wants to upgrade her phone. She currently has an LG EnV2 and has to do this weird hang it off a ledge just to get it to charge trick.

Since she wants to upgrade her phone and we're combining plans, why not try to do it now. That's all.

Thanks for the advice guys!

BetterMost#AC

May 4, 2010
Visit site
So my gf's contract is up and mine goes up in 3 months. We want to consolidate our plans into one family plan and both upgrade to a droid incredible. Currently she is using a regular phone and would need to add a data plan, I'm planning on upgrading from my storm to an incredible.

I went into the store today and they said they couldn't do it b/c my contract isn't up until the August. I've read there are ways around this. suggestions?

I had TWENTY MONTHS left on my contract and they upgraded me. I paid $199 for the phone including the online instant rebate! You have to keep calling untill you get the "right" agent dont give up!

VZWBB

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I would go into an actual verizon store, but in a month from now. I was told numerous times from multiple verizon stores/employees etc over the past few years I've been with them that if you within 2 months of your contract date they can give you the upgrade price.

I think you have to be a customer in good standing for like the last 6 months or something though...meaning you can't have missed or been late on any bills. The only other reason I can think for not allowing an upgrade when so close is that they probably don't have any of the phones in stock.

The other thing you can do, and this may be easier is ask them what the prorated etf fee would be if you ended your contract now. If its cheap enough, end it, and add a second line to your girlfriends contract and get new phones. You will probably have to get a new phone number though, so that might not work.

davidsnoodles

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

You have to be very persuasive. Same situation here, no upgrade until August however they let me upgrade early. When I had my Storm, I hated it, walked into the store (knowing I didn't have an upgrade until a year and a half later) and asked for an upgrade to the Tour. Bam, got it.

Oh by the way, the upgrade in August was for another line (did an alternative upgrade). It really just depends on the manager of the store and what he/she will allow their employees to do.

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Customer's whom pay 59.99 a month or more, may upgrade that line after 12 months. This is for the calling plan, not your total cost.

Does that $59.99 include any company discounts? I have a $59.99 calling plan (plus a $29.99 data plan) put my corporate discount lowers that by 19%. I'm still eligible for the annual upgrade though, right?

And actually, according to the VZW website you need a plan minimum of $49.99, not $59.99:

What do I have to do to get a new phone with Annual Upgrade?
You must be registered for My Verizon, be on a calling plan of $49.99 or higher and have completed at least 1 year of a 2-year contract and agree to renew for an additional 2 years in order to get a new phone at a promotional price. It’s as easy as that.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy