someone complained to verizon about cityid crapware

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
And I completely agree with him. I haven't had the pleasure yet of seeing the CityID app, but I have heard a lot of scuff around the internet about it. I have no problem with them adding in demo or trialware apps onto the phone for me to try when I buy it. But I want to be able to delete anything I don't want or need. Hence the need for rooting the phone, much like he said.

In the end Verizon knows it doesn't hurt their business, sure somebody might leave the network because of it, but the overall phone attracts more people than it shoos away. I'm actually wondering at this point what the issue would be once it's rooted in re roming it to Vanilla 2.1 if I wanted. And if you do it will it OTA from google with 2.2 etc. This is only coming up because the wife has been waiting on the 2.1 update for her Eris forever, and I don't think she will ever get it.

NVR2ND

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I dont know if it was mentioned, but Is footprint part of VZW crap, or Android? It is always running, and it is worthless. If Im taking a picture of something there is a good chance that I know where I am standing....

Limjelo

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I completely agree with him although it doesn't bother me nearly as much but he's certainly entitled to his opinion. Anyone notice that The Consumerist forgot to redact his name within his signature as they did in the first sentence? LMAO!!!

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Good.. you can't uninstall CityID but you can force stop the task.

Go to Manage Applications, go to Filter, then select All, scroll down to CityID, click it and select Force stop.

rew001

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the guy.

Sure put that garbage on the phone, I understand VZW needs more money......but let me delete it.
I just got off the phone, and the CityID bulls**t popped up.

rew001

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site

Go to Manage Applications, go to Filter, then select All, scroll down to CityID, click it and select Force stop.

Cool, will this force stop it for good? Or will I have to do this everytime I boot up?

Thanks for the info by the way!

generous

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

It will come back to haunt you after your next phone call. I'm hoping that once the trial is up, we will have an option to uninstall it, as it would just be a waste of space at that point.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah it's part of Sense UI. Footprints can be handy if you are sending people something interesting or you take a picture of something interesting but can't remember where you took it. That's what I would use it for. As far as, "look here's big ben......where was that picture taken?" I don't think it will matter or help lol.

NVR2ND

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah it's part of Sense UI. Footprints can be handy if you are sending people something interesting or you take a picture of something interesting but can't remember where you took it. That's what I would use it for. As far as, "look here's big ben......where was that picture taken?" I don't think it will matter or help lol.

Although I can somewhat understand what you are saying. It should be an app to download. I guess for me I use my camera seldomly. I can list the last several times I have used the camera. Omaha zoo, Wrigley Field, City of Dallas, my kids. I dont take many pictures on my phone.

I just wonder if it is a drain on the battery or memory. Since I dont think I will ever use it I dont want it on my phone. If someone could say that it uses extremely little battery or other resources then I wont say another word about it.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Well I know on non smartphones city id was 35.00 for the app and 3.00 a month...
I never understood the point of it and don't want it, but have yet to have it ask me to pay for it.

bobstudent3

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
CityID is useless. It's uselessness is compounded by the fact that everyone ports their phone number these days and the area code almost certainly doesn't match where they are actually calling from.

Maybe the software engineers from CityID have lived in one city their entire life, have never moved from there, never called anyone from outside of there, and never expect anyone else to be calling from anywhere other than the area code where they got their phone number from.

Footprints is not so great at this point. If you could: A) Zoom into the picture you took, B) Share your "footprints" with other people, then it would be much better. My colleague's daughter just went to Greece on a school trip and this app would be perfect if she could be sending her "footprints" to him.

I wish Google Maps had a way to put attach a note with a location. Who hasn't watched the Food Network and thought, "if I ever go visit City X, I'm going to eat at Restaurant Y and order Dish Z!" Right now, I can only "star" the item. By the time I get there, I won't remember what to order.

hailpurdue

May 5, 2010
Visit site
You wish is granted.

I wish Google Maps had a way to put attach a note with a location. Who hasn't watched the Food Network and thought, "if I ever go visit City X, I'm going to eat at Restaurant Y and order Dish Z!" Right now, I can only "star" the item. By the time I get there, I won't remember what to order.

Foursquare my friend, try Foursquare.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
Although I can somewhat understand what you are saying. It should be an app to download. I guess for me I use my camera seldomly. I can list the last several times I have used the camera. Omaha zoo, Wrigley Field, City of Dallas, my kids. I dont take many pictures on my phone.

I just wonder if it is a drain on the battery or memory. Since I dont think I will ever use it I dont want it on my phone. If someone could say that it uses extremely little battery or other resources then I wont say another word about it.

if you don't use the widget, it won't take up any resources other than storage space, as the application won't be running then.

ryujin

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
i have to agree with the letter and the bloatware.
most IT peeps know what it does or can do (aside from just taking space) on a system.
the ability to remove the app(s) you choose to should be there...period.

heck, id even pay an extra 5-10 bucks to take it to the VZW store and have them remove the apps i dont want....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae