Signal Strength and Dropped Calls

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Got the DI, don't really care what the signal strength and bars show. Only thing that matters to me in terms of signal strength is call quality. I've had the Tour since last July and have dropped two calls at most. My DI has now dropped an average of two calls per day, traveling on the same highways as usual. Consistently showing poorer signal strength side-by-side with my Tour.

Anyone else have call quality issues/dropped calls?

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
mine has yet to drop a call, call quality seems about the same as my other android phones (droid, droid eris)

lplunk1996

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm also dropping calls like crazy. Have to go outside my house to avoid getting cut off. I also miss parts of conversations during calls that don't cut off. The signal at my house has always been weak but I have never been forced outside to talk on my cell phone.

I've had Verizon for 4 years the only thing that has changed is the phone and the call quality.

ferniesp

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
No dropped calls at all with mine. My call quality has been excellent even when no bars are showing. I don't pay attention to the bars anyways.

I couldn't be happier with my Incredible. It is truly the best Android out there.

drivie

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I have had no dropped calls yet. The quality of the calls seems quite a bit better than the LG VX8360 it replaced. I too ignore the signal bars.

For me the Incredible has so far proven to be a really good phone which was of the utmost importance to me since that's what I use it for primarily. I was also pleasantly surprised at the quality of the speakerphone which I use frequently. The rest is icing on the proverbial cake!

Jasonrj

May 5, 2010
Visit site
No call problems yet and I live literally on the border of nowhere, Verizon is the only network that works within a mile of my apartment. I never have more than 1 bar signal. I'm canceling my land line soon and switching to Incredible only.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I've had no dropped calls. In fact, I've had better connections and the sound quality has been better. Prior phone was a Storm.

I agree. Versus my Storm call quality etc is all better. I haven't had any dropped calls on either phone. Of course I haven't made an overwhelming amount of calls from the DI either, but enough to know it's on par or better than any BB I've owned.

jrapp

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Have to admit that i was concerned about the bars. But call quality is fine and haven't dropped a single call and havent had any issues placing calls either. :D

dgalanter

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
What will *228 option 2 do for you if you never really roam? I live in the DC metro area. I don't roam here. Heck only place I EVER roam on my VZ phone is Canada or upstate NY.

bigslam123

May 3, 2010
Visit site
What will *228 option 2 do for you if you never really roam? I live in the DC metro area. I don't roam here. Heck only place I EVER roam on my VZ phone is Canada or upstate NY.

it also updates your phone to recognize any new towers that have been brought online, as well as any towers that have been reconfigured.

rabernet

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
If I were to concern myself with the signal strength indicators, I'd be freaking out a lot with this phone (-95 to -99 dBm all the time and 1 to 2 bars all the time).

However, I've never dropped a call, the sound on my end is crystal clear, and friends have commented that I sound clearer on this phone.

The rest of the "bells and whistles" of this phone perform flawlessly for me.

Best cell phone I've ever had the real pleasure of owning.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Moot point now anyways. Returned yesterday, back to my BB Tour. Without question, I must have a messaging workhorse and was really hoping the Inc would fit, but it just can't keep up with a BB yet on that front. Every other single aspect about the Inc. was excellent and I'd go back in a heartbeat if I could keep up with messaging as effectively as I can on my bb.

PHX001

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
:confused:
I hope this is the best place to post if not let me know?
I think my issue best fits it this thread seeing it also has to do with dropped calls.

Okay, I have been with TM for 9 years now. I had a Nokia flip phone for 8 years that worked perfect. No dropped calls to really even worry about and excellent reception. I had to replace it because I could not get a battery for it. So I got the Galaxy S 4g phone. That very week I had dropped calls so TM replaced the phone. I kept on having dropped calls so I got a new sim card but it did not help at all. TM emailed me the Samsung Kies mini with instructions (gingerbread update).

After the update my Bluetooth would disconnect and reconnect all day long (the phone is only like three feet away from me) and I had more dropped calls, TM had me try another type of sim card. This sim card would improve Wi-Fi calling seeing that I have to use Wi-Fi to make calls. The Wi-Fi quality is really bad, regardless of this so-called new type of sim card that is to improve Wi-Fi calling.

TM gave me another replacement; it also had the gingerbread update and still dropped calls and Bluetooth dilemma, phone locks up and reboot on its own, did a master reset. I thought that the Bluetooth was bad so I got a new one. Still had dropped calls and Bluetooth would disconnect and reconnect, so it was not the Bluetooth, it is driving me mad another master reset total three times!!!!!

The service was so bad that in some cases I was not even capable of calling Customer Care, calls would drop.

TM got me a signal booster for my home, made no difference at all.
When I am on a call or receiving a call through Wi-Fi the other party cannot understand half of what I am saying to them and vice versa.

Possible solution:
I say very carefully possible. This is Not a long term fix as we all pay for normal working service term.

Google Voice!!!

Yes I got Google Voice, seeing I make 85% of my calls from home. Now when I call my Google Voice using my cell phone over Wi-Fi (free calling) and enter the number that I want (should not have to this but it work much better) to call and WOW, crystal clear connection.

When someone calls me through TM tower I ask them to call my Google Voice and am tolled it is much better than before. WAY IS THIS???

Can anyone explain way it works better over Google Voice and yes on top of that over Wi-Fi??? Does TM have that big of a problem with reception that I have to use Google Voice to make and receive calls when at home???

Anyone give us your input on this.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Of the major OEM's, Samsung traditionally has had the weakest radios for Cellular reception. Nokia usually has the best and then Moto is also up there. HTC it hit or miss on their radios, some are really good, some not so.

When you are on a T-Mo standard cell connection at our house, check the -dBm reading under Settings -> About Phone ->Status and look for the Signal Strength. Any number lower then -90 to -85 and you should be good. Signal is a negative number so a smaller number is a stronger signal.

Hope this helps.