activating phone new incredible

bnz506

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Hi!, Im coming from the BB.

The Inc just arrived by mail moments ago, and im wondering should i take the phone into verizon and let them activate and transfer my contacts (straight from my bb) for me?
Would the contacts be more likely to be cleaner (like no doubles or other type of mistakes)?.

... Can I activate the incredible myself and still be able to bring it in tomorrow and let them transfer my contacts over from my BB.

reason Im considering this is because, if i link the contacts from a gmail account, if I delete that gmail mail account or un sync the contacts, wouldnt the contacts dissapear? If I have verizon transfer the contacts for me, these contacts would not be subject to synching of accounts correct?

I think thats all, i have to go somewhere so im just going to post this ;)

Thanks for ur help in advance

trmoney24

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
very easy, not necessary to go to verizon store.

Hi!, Im coming from the BB.

The Inc just arrived by mail moments ago, and im wondering should i take the phone into verizon and let them activate and transfer my contacts (straight from my bb) for me?
Would the contacts be more likely to be cleaner (like no doubles or other type of mistakes)?.

... Can I activate the incredible myself and still be able to bring it in tomorrow and let them transfer my contacts over from my BB.

reason Im considering this is because, if i link the contacts from a gmail account, if I delete that gmail mail account or un sync the contacts, wouldnt the contacts dissapear? If I have verizon transfer the contacts for me, these contacts would not be subject to synching of accounts correct?

I think thats all, i have to go somewhere so im just going to post this ;)

Thanks for ur help in advance

This is an easy one to answer. sounds like you are using gmail and use google sync to sync your contacts on your old BB? if that is true, then just follow these steps.
1. Turn off your blackberry. Turn on the droid incredible phone and activate it. (when you turn it on, it gives easy steps on activating and setting up.)
2. On the setup wizard, setup your google account and let it sync everything (calendars, contacts, and mail). feel free to also setup any other accounts you have (FB, twitter, flickr)
3. SKIP THE BACKUP ASSISTANT part!!! trust me, if you had that on your previous blackberry, it will duplicate your contacts. plus you don't need it since you have your contacts synced with gmail. and once you activate it, you cannot stop it for some reason unless you do a factory wipe. which is what i had to do to stop it.

After all that, you should have all your contacts on your new activated incredible. there is no need to go to the verizon store.

your old BB will be deactivated. go to the security settings on your BB and do a wipe before selling or giving to anyone.

if you have any concerns, post away!

bnz506

May 5, 2010
Visit site
2. On the setup wizard, setup your google account and let it sync everything (calendars, contacts, and mail). feel free to also setup any other accounts you have (FB, twitter, flickr)

What if for some reason in the future i decide to unsync the contacts from that google account, will the contacts that were synced to that account disappear? (or will they stay? and just not.. well... synch with google anymore).

I want to put my contacts on my phone so that their presence is not dependent on the syching of an app or program. [that way if i delete or un-sync an account (assuming the contacts disappear with the account)] my contacts dont go with it.

if contacts do not disappear after synching and the only way to remove them is by deleting them, then i will activate it myself and synch my google contacts :)

I ask because I remember reading somewhere people are having trouble with synching useless facebook contacts and to remove them u just un-synch contacts (I dont remember reading if the contacts remained and u had to remove them afterwards by deleting).

Thanks =) sorry for the long winded posts.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Sync your Blackberry contacts with Outlook, Windows Live mail, or Outlook Express.
Activate your Incredible.
Install HTC sync.
Sync your contacts from Outlook, Live Mail or Outlook Express to your Incredible through HTC sync. Your user guide should tell you how to do this.

Your contacts are now stored on the phone independent from Google.

bnz506

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Sweet thanks a bunch gbhil!!!

Now, i guess i need another excuse to get to verizon this Friday (this really cute girl works there then).

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
You can export your contacts in outlook and import it into google. CSV file I believe is the one you need. If you tie your phone to a different google account you phone will sync with the new account and add the stuff from your phone into the gmail account.

I've not looked into taking all google accounts off the phone but I would assume then it would just be a stand alone device with all you contacts. It just won't sync to anything.

bnz506

May 5, 2010
Visit site
welp, i guess im going to have to go to verizon store anyway, *228 is not working in my area, so i cant activate the phone.

I actually couldnt figure out how to sync my BB with windows mail live (option is not there), did a little research and exported my synced google contacts and imported them into my windows live mail, so i havent used the HTC synch yet (since i cant activate my phone, dont feel like playing around with it). Hopefully the option is there to sync htc with windows mail live... actually doesnt matter, because I have to go to the Verizon store anyway ill jsut have them transfer the contacts.

Last edited:

ifrankenberg

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I've always just transferred contacts using blue tooth,
Granted it's with dumb phones (LG Env's) but it worked without issue
Just active your new phone and connect both of them via blue tooth and send
contacts/pictures/music via blue tooth

bnz506

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I've always just transferred contacts using blue tooth,
Granted it's with dumb phones (LG Env's) but it worked without issue
Just active your new phone and connect both of them via blue tooth and send
contacts/pictures/music via blue tooth

Interesting. Never thought to or have tried that.

If I factory reset the phone (after it has been activated), would I have to re-activate the phone as well (as have to re-import my contacts?)

you guys have been really helpful thanks.

robwilson

May 3, 2010
Visit site

If I factory reset the phone (after it has been activated), would I have to re-activate the phone as well (as have to re-import my contacts?)

A factory reset just wipes the phone.

VZWBB

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I am fairly certain that once you activate a phone, you don't have to re-activate it if you do a factory wipe. The wipe just resets everything on the phone but the id numbers and whatnot are already activated on verizons network so it should be fine.

As for backup assistant, with so many negative postings about it I am hesistant to give a postive review. But this is my experience:

When I switched from my curve to a storm, I had the store move the contacts for me using thier "machine". It moved them alright, but they were not moved "cleanly", ie any dashes to seperate area codes were gone and in some cases names were appended or just didn't look like before. Luckily for me I had also backed up the curve on my pc, so I cleared it all and synced that way and it was much better.

This time I installed BA on my storm and backed up the contacts doing that. I've never google synced anything, and it correctly backed up the number of contacts. I got my incredible, and using BA again, successly got my contacts back. When google synced it brought in my email address and stuff and that cause me a bit of confusion. With a setting change I was able to just "show" my contacts (ones from BA) and so far its been fine.

My daughter on the other hand downloaded BA to her tour last night because she is ever so worrisome of losing her contacts....but i digress. Anyways, during the process (and I don't know exactly what she did) she ended up getting a ton of old contacts put back on her phone. Shes never used BA before (that I know of) and this is her first smartphone/bb ever. So they must have/had some sort of contact backup thingy available to non-smartphones way back when.

I don't know why BA worked as intended for me, but it did...just my .02 cents.

ifrankenberg

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

I got tired of being charged by verizon to transfer that information
so when ever i go to get phones i order offline so i don't have to pay
them an activation fee and just activate it online and then transfer via blue
tooth so i don't get charged for having them transfer my contacts.

you should not have to go thru the activation again after wiping the device

trmoney24

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site

Might be too late to answer now, but which phone did you come from? if it was a Tour, Storm, or Curve 8530, then you should use Backup Assistant to backup your contacts. Then when you activate your incredible, setup backup assistant and it will restore your contacts. when you setup your google account, UNCHECK the contacts sync. that way all your contacts are from your old phone and not synced with google. you can go back and sync your google contacts and have both google and phone contacts on your phone. in the PEOPLE app, you can hit MENU, VIEW, and choose which set of contacts you want to view.

just out of curiosity, if you have your contacts synced with google, why do you want a separate copy on your phone? technically even though the contacts are synced with google, they are still on your phone. and yes if you erase the email account, the contacts will leave as well. but they will come back when you setup your email account again on the same phone or your next phone.

you could also do it the way other people have suggested with outlook, etc. just thought this would be easier for you. if you don't plan on using google sync for contacts, then backup assistant will work great for you.

trmoney24

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I am fairly certain that once you activate a phone, you don't have to re-activate it if you do a factory wipe. The wipe just resets everything on the phone but the id numbers and whatnot are already activated on verizons network so it should be fine.

As for backup assistant, with so many negative postings about it I am hesistant to give a postive review. But this is my experience:

When I switched from my curve to a storm, I had the store move the contacts for me using thier "machine". It moved them alright, but they were not moved "cleanly", ie any dashes to seperate area codes were gone and in some cases names were appended or just didn't look like before. Luckily for me I had also backed up the curve on my pc, so I cleared it all and synced that way and it was much better.

This time I installed BA on my storm and backed up the contacts doing that. I've never google synced anything, and it correctly backed up the number of contacts. I got my incredible, and using BA again, successly got my contacts back. When google synced it brought in my email address and stuff and that cause me a bit of confusion. With a setting change I was able to just "show" my contacts (ones from BA) and so far its been fine.

My daughter on the other hand downloaded BA to her tour last night because she is ever so worrisome of losing her contacts....but i digress. Anyways, during the process (and I don't know exactly what she did) she ended up getting a ton of old contacts put back on her phone. Shes never used BA before (that I know of) and this is her first smartphone/bb ever. So they must have/had some sort of contact backup thingy available to non-smartphones way back when.

I don't know why BA worked as intended for me, but it did...just my .02 cents.

as for the factory reset, i have done it on my phone and it makes you reactivate the phone again. you probably don't need to, but since it is in the initial setup, it makes you do it again. which is no biggie. i did a factory reset to stop backup assistant.

just an FYI, for any BB user switching from one blackberry to another, use desktop manager and use the DEVICE SWAP WIZARD option. i think though when you got your storm, this option wasn't available in desktop manager. you still could have swapped over your contacts cleanly from your curve to your storm, but it would have been a few more steps.

as for using backup assistant, i think it works great, just conflicts with google sync as it tries to manage contacts that are on your phone and google sync manages your gmail contacts. i didn't like dealing with switching my view around in the PEOPLE app since i like having 1 set of contacts. and its weird that you cannot turn off backup assistant on this phone. at least for now you can't.

as for your daughter activating backup assistant, actually backup assistant was first available on non-smart phones. i had it on my non-smart phone back in 2006-2007. Then I started using a BB later that summer till i got this incredible. when they finally came out with backup assistant for the BB Tour, i almost ran into the same issue as your daughter. when i first logged in, it said it was going to RESTORE my old contacts from way back in 2007! luckily, i hit MENU, and then saw an option to create a NEW account. then it wiped my old backup assistant account and let me start a new one with the current contacts on my BB Tour. unfortunately, this same option isn't there on the droid incredible. so it will force you to restore your old contacts.

hope this helps give some clarification...

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie