Task Killer Pros / Cons?

a4aaron

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok I have been reading a lot of posts from people that say task killer is bad and screws everything up.

My question is why is it so bad and what does it screw up. What are your experiences with Task Killer?

When my wife and I purchased our phones the verizon rep said he installed the task killer app for us ( which he did ) and informed us to use it all the time so that we could save battery life.

I use it without any problems. (that i know of)

My wife uses it and the only issue she has with her phone is that her alarm does not work. However mine does. Both phones have the same settings and apps installed.

Last edited:
R

Roy Aguilera

Cons: The VZW dude is an idiot. They (task killers) break stuff. You don't need them and most devs highly recommend not using them. Some Apps depend in other apps stuff, that is why you see them in the background. You kill it and the app is now broken.
Pros: None, Placebo.

a4aaron

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Cons: The VZW dude is an idiot. They (task killers) break stuff. You don't need them and most devs highly recommend not using them. Some Apps depend in other apps stuff, that is why you see them in the background. You kill it and the app is now broken.

Is the app broken for good or does it just not function correctly after killing the depending app? Meaning, when the app is opened again the functionality returns to normal.

How do you remove the app. killer?

R

Roy Aguilera

Is the app broken for good or does it just not function correctly after killing the depending app? Meaning, when the app is opened again the functionality returns to normal.

How do you remove the app. killer?

They break it temporarily.

paul386

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I tend to agree with people who say a task manager is bad. For a skilled user the task manager is probably okay but for someone who is not familiar with what they are doing it is probably best to leave things alone or use the built in Android task killer. Forcing applications to shut down can corrupt activity in that program (say a document in WordToGo) or affect another program that is getting data from the program you just killed.

fludkilla

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
lmao as soon as I read this I uninstalled my task killer because it does make sense. I always thought to myself why would I kill an app if its gonna restart its self again. Plus this phone is made for multi-tasking so its only common sense that after a while apps in the background will close. Well lets see how my phone does today without it. Something new everyday

NIKSTORM

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Are open apps in the back round really that much of a battery drain or is this a case of smartphone ocd? With my storm I can keep all my apps open and I do not see a battery problem....I do see a lag in performance..
Is this open task bad battery life all just smoke and mirrors.

jermaine151

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I disagree

I couldn't disagree more, BUT, THIS is MY opinion. As a long time Linux user, I know that the apps don't always close themselves as they should and this uses resources. That's why linux has the kill and killall commands. As a test, open the internet, go to a nice forum like this one and then think you closed it. Use a task killer to view your processes and available memory and you will see that the internet and CityID (if you've received or made a phone call), Market and others, are still open and using memory. Kill them and look at your available memory. I know what you're going to say; I have plenty of memory. True! BUT, what about the fact that if the browser is still open on this page, the ads are refreshing in the background using the network and battery, and you wonder why your battery life is poor? Try it with the market TOO! There's no reason for it to be open after you've installed your app and thought you closed it, but it IS still running. If you feel like I do, install Advanced Task Killer (from the Market). Open it the first time and long press the tasks that you NEVER want to kill (i.e. Clock, Weather, YouMail (my Voicemail of choice), etc) and choose "Ignore". From that point on, when you open it, anything listed there is probably not needed and you can press "Kill Selected Apps". If you need proof, before you press the Kill button look at the top at "Available Memory", uncheck "Advanced Task Killer" and press the Kill button. How much "Available Memory" do you have now? My phone and battery are working great for me and this is one of the maintenance things that help.

Again, it's only My Opinion and please do whatever you feel comfortable with.

-J

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't disagree more, BUT, THIS is MY opinion. As a long time Linux user, I know that the apps don't always close themselves as they should and this uses resources. That's why linux has the kill and killall commands. As a test, open the internet, go to a nice forum like this one and then think you closed it. Use a task killer to view your processes and available memory and you will see that the internet and CityID (if you've received or made a phone call), Market and others, are still open and using memory. Kill them and look at your available memory. I know what you're going to say; I have plenty of memory. True! BUT, what about the fact that if the browser is still open on this page, the ads are refreshing in the background using the network and battery, and you wonder why your battery life is poor? Try it with the market TOO! There's no reason for it to be open after you've installed your app and thought you closed it, but it IS still running. If you feel like I do, install Advanced Task Killer (from the Market). Open it the first time and long press the tasks that you NEVER want to kill (i.e. Clock, Weather, YouMail (my Voicemail of choice), etc) and choose "Ignore". From that point on, when you open it, anything listed there is probably not needed and you can press "Kill Selected Apps". If you need proof, before you press the Kill button look at the top at "Available Memory", uncheck "Advanced Task Killer" and press the Kill button. How much "Available Memory" do you have now? My phone and battery are working great for me and this is one of the maintenance things that help.

-J

if you send the browser to the background, it saves the state and no ads or any refreshing will be going on in the background. the browser will just sit there, idle, until you bring it to the foreground again, which time it will then refresh.

R

Roy Aguilera

-J

Thanks for stating your opinion. Yet I will take Cyanogens word and not use them. The man does not make apps he makes roms from source and is complete against them.

R

Roy Aguilera

To uninstall open the market, hit downloads, find it and hit uninstall.

GooTz66

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys this thread was very helpful. I too loaded up ATK and TK because it was recommended by a friend that I do but now have deleted. Reminds me of my BB file free/memory OCD. Gotta break those damn bad habits! ;)

R

Roy Aguilera

J Gootz what up man. Glad you too jumped ship.
-DA6

We use to beta SS together.

6s1d9

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the help and tips. I will remove it from both phones tonight, only one question though, how do i do it? Hmmmmm?

Just go to Marketplace, Click Menu and a pop up will come up. Click on Downloads and you'll see everything you or (verizon reps) instsalled. Then simply click uninstall.. Why the hell are verizon reps installing apps on your phone without permission anyway ?

R

Roy Aguilera

They are trying to be helpful. However they should not be adding ish to your phone.

GooTz66

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
J Gootz what up man. Glad you too jumped ship.
-DA6

We use to beta SS together.

Oh snap! Whats going on? Yeah I finally jumped ship and loving it! How have you been? Still trying to learn everything I can about Android, a lot different than BB but its getting better. Any other help, tips, tricks, etc you can lend would be much appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton