Task Killer Pros / Cons?

R

Roy Aguilera

I'm here and Shaydlife is also here. Any questions, feel free to PM us. ;)

NIKSTORM

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
:
Are open apps in the back round really that much of a battery drain or is this a case of smartphone ocd? With my storm I can keep all my apps open and I do not see a battery problem....I do see a lag in performance..
Is this open task bad battery life all just smoke and mirrors.

Yes it is.

i believe this answer was for me if so please elaberate i have about 4 questions in my post that your reply can answer;):D

R

Roy Aguilera

They are not a huge battery drain
You are OCD:p
You will not see lag, unlike the Storm which would leak memory or sometimes not recycle it. This phone does recycle unused memory.
It is all smoke and mirrors with task killers.

I think an ex BB user invented TK's and it was because well, he previously had a BB.

GooTz66

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
You will not see lag, unlike the Storm which would leak memory or sometimes not recycle it. This phone does recycle unused memory.

I think an ex BB user invented TK's and it was because well, he previously had a BB.

Hella Funny!!!!!!!!!!!

NIKSTORM

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site

well played sir...well played

also i never had ocd until i started with these damn smartphone forums:confused::rolleyes::mad:

NoobTube

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Ok if I remove ATK how do I close programs like games or anything like that after I am done playing. Seems like there should be a "end program" option when I am done.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok if I remove ATK how do I close programs like games or anything like that after I am done playing. Seems like there should be a "end program" option when I am done.

I agree that there should be, but read my link above - when you leave an app, it goes into suspension, and will eventually release resources as other apps need them.

If this truly freaks you out and you want more control, you can keep ATK, but I would suggest turning off the automatic killing feature - use ATK only to close your game(s) when you are done and then go back home.

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
there is a way to close apps without a task manager. in settings, under apps, hit menu, filter, show running apps, then click the app in question and you can stop it there. nexus one at least.

Grizzly420

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys this thread was very helpful. I too loaded up ATK and TK because it was recommended by a friend that I do but now have deleted. Reminds me of my BB file free/memory OCD. Gotta break those damn bad habits! ;)

I in the same boat LOL. I deleted my task killer also. I will try and see how it goes.

markhunsaker

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I uninstalled my task killer a few days ago when I read a few things like this, and my battery life has improved as well as my compulsion to constantly kill apps.

GooTz66

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I in the same boat LOL. I deleted my task killer also. I will try and see how it goes.

Nice! Im sure there are thousands of us BB defectors out there. I dont know if its placebo but since removing the task killers my battery seems to last longer and run smoother.

jermaine151

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for stating your opinion. Yet I will take Cyanogens word and not use them. The man does not make apps he makes roms from source and is complete against them.

I have taken the plunge and uninstalled my task killer. So far, so good. Thanks for the good information and for converting my point of view!

:D

VZWBB

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
For anyone that feels the need to be able to exit apps, scanner radio has an exit button under menu. Maybe it feeds the need to just be able to exit "something". lol :)

anthonym83

May 12, 2010
Visit site
there is a way to close apps without a task manager. in settings, under apps, hit menu, filter, show running apps, then click the app in question and you can stop it there. nexus one at least.

It seems like the lists in Running Applications is a LOT smaller (and different) than what's shown in the different task killers. How do we address the extra almost dozen found by the app killer?

bubbabeatz

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
its weird i seem to get much better battery life with the task killer on when i disable it my battery drains alot quicker and sometimes not even using it as much as when i have it on

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
It seems like the lists in Running Applications is a LOT smaller (and different) than what's shown in the different task killers. How do we address the extra almost dozen found by the app killer?

Yeah tell me about it. I've been confused why every different task manager shows me different lists of running apps compared to the built in list. I finally found the best task manager, system panel, shows the true running apps list. And It shows what is active vs inactive (cached) which NONE of these other task managers show.

Finally with this app I am starting to understand how android does its multitasking, and I've been trying to learn for 2 months now. I actually got angry once I realized these other task managers were lumping in all the inactive apps together, giving a COMPLETELY false sense of what is truly running and what is not.