OTA Gingerbread!

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Android 2.3.4
Software number 4.06.605.3

I am now wondering what version of the OTA was causing the "troubles" for others and if it is different from the version I used?

Do you, or any of your users, use 3rd party launchers?
Do any of them install more than 30 apps? Still plenty of room in storage, but the phone doesn't know that apparently.

My numbers were the same.
Android 2.3.4
Build Number & Software Number 4.06.605.3
(I started reading these numbers to the Tier 2 support guy, and he said "No, it should start with a 3. Your software is not part of the approved Verizon track.")

I don't mind that updates are 'captured' and posted. I want to believe that the community here didn't try to pass off some other build as an official "OTA" update, but it looks like a possibility this time. Or, maybe HTC really did push this update in error. The VZW rep didn't argue with me (fortunately) - he concluded he can't help with the software; so, he's mailing a used replacement.

Artisanthe

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Do you, or any of your users, use 3rd party launchers?
Do any of them install more than 30 apps? Still plenty of room in storage, but the phone doesn't know that apparently.

Tbolt....I do NOT use a third party launcher....nor do any of the other phones. On the other hand.....they have installed Countless Apps (more than 30). The only App I saw a recurring problem with was Handcent.....which when updated or deleted/reinstalled, worked fine. No memory issues so far either. Glad they hooked you up with a replacement.

Here's one more quirk I have never mentioned before. While my phone Does display the Incorrect 4.3 inch WVGA Screen....I do NOT see Sprint in the Market. However, I installed the Market APK from XDA when it first became available (well before the OTA install).....on All the phones. My friends and employees more or less depend on me to help them with their phones.

Happy Coincidences? I have no idea. Maybe you're on to something with the "3rd party launcher" idea?

I was seriously worried after all the various posts about Problems....but my experience has been absolutely fine?

I Wonder...can anyone else connect a 3rd Party Launcher with their Borked Update?

munciefan

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I noticed today that I have a new market icon, and that my voice functionality (e.g., voice to text, voice search in navigation, etc) is working again (after dying when I force updated with the ota gingerbread).

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Shortly before 9PM ET, I received OTA Gingerbread update in the NYC area. Anyone else getting a new Gingerbread OTA tonight?

Wow. Really? Any problems after the install?

Near Los Angeles here with 2.2 Froyo - no update yet.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Illiknight

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Wow. Really? Any problems after the install?

Near Los Angeles here with 2.2 Froyo - no update yet.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

No problems to report as of yet... In fact, everything is working very smoooooothly!

Update:Like Bflojack, I have noticed several apps that have disappeared. I thought it was just the icon that needed to trash and replace, but the apps are not in the tray. Backup apps before running the update if you can. I did not unfortunately, however, all my emails, accounts and social networking apps are fine and automatically logged in. Apps like Pandora, barcode scanner, IMDB, Aldiko reader disappeared. But that is all I've noticed

Last edited:

engineer2001

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I just got mine! Woooooohooooooo! This is so exciting.

I am now a little worried, though. It power cycled three times during the update, came back to the white screen with HTC on it each time and then a black screen with a pic of the phone lying down with a green "refresh"-looking circle made of 3 arrows (like a normal "data sync" icon but with another arrow pointing straight down at the phone from the middle) over it. Finally, it tried to boot up and seems to have stuck at the red droid eye. It's been here for about 5 minutes straight now. I hope my phone which was awesome and only had minor bugs didn't just get bricked. I'm going to wait a while longer, since I honestly don't know what else is safe to do at this point. LOL

Edit: Yay! It pulled through fine. The only difference I see is that 4 or 5 of the apps I had shortcuts to on my desktop now have no icon (they have the default Android one), and they don't appear to work. I'm going to try a reboot.

Edit2: Nope, reboot didn't help. Looking in "Manage Applications" found them to be somehow installed on the SD card. I had recently downloaded each of them from the Amazon Appstore and certainly did NOT tell it to put anything on my SD. I guess they get to do that without asking. Anyway, I uninstalled them all and am re-installing. No "real" issues I can see yet. It is SO FRICKING FAST now. Like zero lag. Zip, zip, zip, through menus and screens, and this fast boot... OMG. The phone is usable in a couple of seconds after a complete power off to power on. Why couldn't it be like this before?

Last edited:

Kronko

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I am getting the update now, at this very moment. Wow, two months after it was released (well, at least since the update was posted in Verizon website).

Now I need Honeycomb for my Logitech Revue and I am done. :)

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I am getting the update now, at this very moment. Wow, two months after it was released (well, at least since the update was posted in Verizon website).

People keep forgetting that the first update was borked.... some of us just had the wrong market and the phone saying it had a 4.3 inch screen but many others had serious issues. It would have been irresponsible for them to continue the roll-out of that build.

Those of you who are getting it can you let us know what the new build and Android version are? Also if you were on Froyo OR the first Gingerbread (curious about weather this is gonna work for those of us on the old GB).

bflojack

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Unmounted and Mounted my SD card to no avail. Looks like every app that was on my SD card no longer works. Apps don't show up on my All Apps list. Can't delete them because it says the program is not there. Rough night ahead.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance