OTA Gingerbread!

kstoutdog

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Any idea if those of us who are rooted will be able to regain our root privileges after the update, or if we'll have to wait a month or two for a verified and safe root method? I'd really like the update, as my phone is quite visibly in need of some software and firmware repair, but I love my wireless tethering and lack of bloatware far too much to lose that for the time it takes to develop a new rooting method.

bump
will I lose root, if I OTA update?

rickap7

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I have have nothing but trouble with this update
phone reboots by itself,bluetooth doesn't turn off then locks up phone and reboots
in coming calls do not ring just vibs
notication sound dont work
terrible battery life ever since update to 4.06.605.3
i've had this for over 3 months maybe nothing but problem

is there anyway to uninstall an update?

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I am rooted and do not want the update. I just started getting the notification last night. I renamed the file but keep getting the notification. Any ideas?

Directions for turning off the Update notification for ROOTED users are here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/in...id-incredible-gingerbread-ota.html#post980657

Has anyone managed to run alogcat before updating to capture the URL of the download?

zxora - can you send me the file you renamed?

If you are rooted, do not accept the update, be patient, there will be a rooted version of the update out shortly.

Admodieus

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded the update last night, but it hanged at the "Rebooting now" message for an hour. I could back out to my home screen and do whatever I wanted, so I rebooted the phone. My phone info still says I'm on 2.2, and everytime I go check for updates it says my phone is up to date.

Any idea how I can get prompted for the update again? Tried the *#*#CHECKIN#*#* and pulling the battery for a minute to no avail.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Directions for turning off the Update notification for ROOTED users are here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/in...id-incredible-gingerbread-ota.html#post980657

Has anyone managed to run alogcat before updating to capture the URL of the download?

zxora - can you send me the file you renamed?

If you are rooted, do not accept the update, be patient, there will be a rooted version of the update out shortly.

I followed those instructions and renamed the file using Root Explorer, but I keep getting the notification.

I can try to send the file....where do you want me to send it?

live311

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
So far, so good. I got the 87 MB update since I didn't get it in September. I found one app that needed updating and my phone thinks it's an EVO 4G but otherwise seems smooth and a bit snappier than before. The clock is animated and there's a cool fade transition when closing apps. Only time and normal use will tell if battery life has been affected or other functionality has been broken.

BTW, any cool Sprint apps I should grab before they fix it?

CRKhead

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I asked @VZWSupport on Twitter if I need to download the 87MB update first in order for the 8MB patch to come down with 4.08... They said they recommend doing that... FWIW

Also, they responded to someone else about the apps not working. They said to move the apps back to the phone and then run them, then move them back to the SD card. Not sure if that will work for anyone.

I'm moving all my apps back to the phone storage before I do the update.

hail2thelion

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have Sense issues with the OTA? My wife downloaded it to her phone this morning and Sense is on a continuous FC loop. I wish she had just let me root the damn thing...

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I didn't get the first update 2 months ago. Updated last night. Instantly got the "Low phone storage" error message, causing email and text messages to stop coming in. All my SD card apps were not working. After an unmount and mount they came back, but any restart of the phone just borked them again. Uninstalled all apps on the SD card plus about 5 more on the phone storage just to get the low space error to go away and to get my email / messages working.

Phone says it has a 4.3" display and have the sprint market, both minor issues in comparison to all the crap above. And to think they pulled the update 2 months ago to resolve issues. Guess not.

Keldog

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I asked @VZWSupport on Twitter if I need to download the 87MB update first in order for the 8MB patch to come down with 4.08... They said they recommend doing that... FWIW

Also, they responded to someone else about the apps not working. They said to move the apps back to the phone and then run them, then move them back to the SD card. Not sure if that will work for anyone.

I'm moving all my apps back to the phone storage before I do the update.

I moved all my apps to my phone (from the SD card) before I ran the update, and all my apps seem to have survived the update. I just sent them back to the SD card a few minutes ago.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Do you have to be unrooted to be able to get GB to download and install?

someone reported that their rooted DInc received the update by doing this:

"Typing *#*#2432546#*#* into my phone (without hitting send) started the update (source)"

expect to lose root, though.

alope441

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
someone reported that their rooted DInc received the update by doing this:

"Typing *#*#2432546#*#* into my phone (without hitting send) started the update (source)"

expect to lose root, though.

thanks, just wanted to make sure, the notification is there, but didnt know if it will still download with any problems...

CRKhead

May 2, 2010
Visit site
@VZWSupport just posted that the 8MB patch is currently rolling out... I'll expect it to hit on the 2 year anniversary date for the DINC... 4/29/12... :-\

Reactions: TBolt

CRKhead

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Lost most of my games that were on my SD card :/, already tried too mount and unmount my SD card but it didn't work.

If you lost the games on your SD card, do what VZW suggested... Go into the application management, move them to the phone storage, run them once, then move them back... It may be time consuming, but you have nothing to lose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC