OTA Gingerbread!

derekj

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
How did you get it to download BEFORE clicking the install button? I get the popup option, click install, the countdown goes to zero, and then nothing. No reboot, no install, no freeze, nothing.

user313

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
How did you get it to download BEFORE clicking the install button? I get the popup option, click install, the countdown goes to zero, and then nothing. No reboot, no install, no freeze, nothing.

I think if you use the tricks to get the download started that you can go into settings...check for updates and see it download the file...then when it said to click reboot and install I simply powered the phone down. When I restarted it said an update is ready to be installed and it actually worked.

csking1995

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
After noting the differences on the AC article comments a couple weeks ago (the differences btwn 4.06 and 4.08), I too got a second OTA notice yesterday, this time with the 4.08 .605 directly referenced and a full 87mb file download - it looks like they finally combined the two.

I am about to hit "update", but only after I keep reading the last few pages of this thread.

joebogey

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
OK, so I went through the whole download, not enough free space deal. Tried the checkin, move the date out, nothing worked. So I decided to do the recovery menu clear cache. Well, I clicked the wrong thing, and wiped the phone, thank god I keep my pictures on the SD card. However, halfway through re-installing all of my apps from the markets & amazon appstore I got the pop-up for the single 87 mb upgrade to 4.08, I clicked install, it counted down, rebooted (in a flash) took about 10-15 minutes to install. Haven't had any issued since.

So if you get the message for the 87 mb upgrade to 4.08 I would click install. Phone is now on 2.3.4. :D

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Wait...so, HTC has just released the single OTA upgrade to Gingerbread?

We were told to wait 2 weeks; so, I wanna be clear about this.

derekj

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
OK, so I went through the whole download, not enough free space deal. Tried the checkin, move the date out, nothing worked. So I decided to do the recovery menu clear cache. Well, I clicked the wrong thing, and wiped the phone, thank god I keep my pictures on the SD card. However, halfway through re-installing all of my apps from the markets & amazon appstore I got the pop-up for the single 87 mb upgrade to 4.08, I clicked install, it counted down, rebooted (in a flash) took about 10-15 minutes to install. Haven't had any issued since.

So if you get the message for the 87 mb upgrade to 4.08 I would click install. Phone is now on 2.3.4. :D

I got that message several times. Clicked install, it counted down to zero and then..... zero. nothing. No reboot, no install, no nothing. 3-4 times now. I have no plan to do a factory reset to get this update -that is complete bulls#!t. I don't have a half a day to reconfigure the phone unless HTC/Verizon wants to pay me my normal bill rate.

joebogey

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Wait...so, HTC has just released the single OTA upgrade to Gingerbread?

We were told to wait 2 weeks; so, I wanna be clear about this.

Yes, I received a single download of 87mb to take me to 4.08 aka 2.3.4. :cool:

I got that message several times. Clicked install, it counted down to zero and then..... zero. nothing. No reboot, no install, no nothing. 3-4 times now. I have no plan to do a factory reset to get this update -that is complete bulls#!t. I don't have a half a day to reconfigure the phone unless HTC/Verizon wants to pay me my normal bill rate.

I'm not sure if the factory reset is required, it was my mistake :(, although I have to say now that Android Market has your Library it took me about 20-30 minutes total to reinstall everything (Just make sure all of your documents/photos are saved somewhere)

Also with the update it seems to not use up the battery as quick, and to take about 15 second to boot up and be ready to use

sjharper79

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I tried the installation of the file using clockwork mod. The installation fails. It says that the signature is invalid. The file was 6.7 MB when downloaded. I would have expected it to be closer to 87 MB so I downloaded it again thinking it was corrupt. It was the same size the second time. Any particular reason this won't install using clockwork mod?

Steve

joebogey

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
From what I read here, it seems the 6.7 mb download is a patch for the 87 mb update from August, if you don't have that installed it the patch may not work.

mrmuhles

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
From what I read here, it seems the 6.7 mb download is a patch for the 87 mb update from August, if you don't have that installed it the patch may not work.

So how do you get the 87 meg update? I was upgraded several months ago to the "broken" update. All I am getting now is the smaller update and that doesn't work no matter what I try to do. I have all but given up now and am pretty pissed!

Last edited:

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
So how do you get the 87 meg update? I was upgraded several months ago to the "broken" update. All I am getting now is the smaller update and that doesn't work no matter what I try to do. I have all but given up now and am pretty pissed!

Maybe it's best to just wait for the next OTA. Hopefully '3rd time is a charm,' and HTC finally gets the update right.

mrmuhles

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it's best to just wait for the next OTA. Hopefully '3rd time is a charm,' and HTC finally gets the update right.

That is what I am going to do. I just got back from the Verizon store and they were no help. Just offered me an upgrade that I still needed to pay big $ for. :( Here's to hoping I guess. Thanks.

joebogey

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I tried to force the update and did a factory reset instead of a clear cache from the recovery menu. However if you have the broken update, and are willing to reinstall/re-tweak your apps, go for it. After I reset it the upgrade popup came up withing 5 minutes, and it was the new 87 mb downlaod. Phone is much faster than it was before so it's up to you.

mrmuhles

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I tried to force the update and did a factory reset instead of a clear cache from the recovery menu. However if you have the broken update, and are willing to reinstall/re-tweak your apps, go for it. After I reset it the upgrade popup came up withing 5 minutes, and it was the new 87 mb downlaod. Phone is much faster than it was before so it's up to you.

So if I understand you correctly a factory reset then let the d/l come worked for you. I have so little on my phone I might just give it a try. Thanks.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
So if I understand you correctly a factory reset then let the d/l come worked for you. I have so little on my phone I might just give it a try. Thanks.

I've done that more than once to force an update that just didn't want to go both on my old Fascinate and on the Incredible when the first big update came two months ago so yes this does sometimes work.

silentbobdrummer

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I keep randomly getting the "you have a system update" message. This is now the third time I got it (got the second one two weeks ago). I haven't done anything with it yet. The last time I tried it, it gave the countdown to reset timer then did nothing...