It's the antenna, stupid...

How much gain do you see with the pincer grip?

• Total voters

nopants

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
funny...

Overtime I try this "pinch grip" you're talking about, my phone goes to sleep. Then when I try it again, it comes back on.

Strangest damned thing...

;)

newdroidnewb

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Wow, thats crazy! I never noticed that before.

I just tried it on my BB Tour and went from about 95 to 82. So good news is, its not just you Inc. owners.

Its amazing how much it changes though.

Holding like OP suggested only with thumb and index finger on bottom and top is was about -82
Holding in typical BB prayer method as if typing on keyboard it went to about -92
Hold in one hand with hand flat as if hand was a table and phone resting on it, it went to about -95
Holding in one hand with fingers slightly wrapped around sides of phone as if you start gesturing on screen (I wish) it went to -100

This is obviously not scientific, but I did it several times in each position and got similar results each time.

dgalanter

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I am now thinking that to perhaps save battery, or for another reason, the bars don't really increase until there is a reason. I can be at home with one bar (and I'm in a strong area), and get a call, and suddenly be at 4 bars.

gotroot801

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
menu-> settings-> about phone -> network-> signal strength is right there second item

Yikes... now I wish I hadn't seen that. I'm lucky to get above -80. I mean, it's been good enough for phone calls most of the time (no worse than any other phone I've owned), but now I think I have a problem.

dgalanter

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
^ If it hasn't been a functional problem, why would seeing a number that may or may not be correct be a problem?

If you're using it and it works without issue, what's the difference? Only time I've dropped a call is the same places I've dropped a BB call: in an elevator (I was dumb to get in) and in a basement without windows.

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Yikes... now I wish I hadn't seen that. I'm lucky to get above -80. I mean, it's been good enough for phone calls most of the time (no worse than any other phone I've owned), but now I think I have a problem.

actually the closer to 0 the better so if your not going above -80 that would be a good thing.

Jasonrj

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm usually between -90 and -100.. But then again I live in nowheresville and Verizon is the only network with coverage within a mile of here. No problems yet except for the occasional glitch in sound for a fraction of a second.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
wow. -98 dBm to -86 dBm for me.

and, when I placed my hand back in the natural position, the signal strength stayed at/near -86 dBm.