Am I the only one with SMS problems using the native HTC solution?

mudpud

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Everything but SMS works on my phone. Multiple resets don't fix the problem. Handcent SMS works just fine. Microsoft Exchange email, gmail, Yahoo Mail, browsing all works fine. And I'm not talking about Google Voice SMS - I don't even use Google Voice. I'm talking about plain old cell phone SMS. Not threaded. It's broken regardless of whether or.not I send it to Verizon's or somebody else's phone. Messages show up under undeliverable. This sucks. Otherwise I love this phone - especially coming from CrapBerry Storm.

Fahrenheit

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
You mean using the "Messages" icon to send SMS doesn't work? Strange...works perfectly for me. Maybe your messaging plan got nerfed when you switched?

Have you tried a hard reset?

mudpud

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Haven't done a battery pull yet - reminds me too much of CrapBerry. But I've done multiple power on/off cycles.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
At first I would say maybe there is a network problem with the phone and your account when you swapped something got botched. But you said everything works fine with the Handcent app. That's really weird, had you tried a hard rest setting everything back to factory. (Not a battery pull Volume down + power button method)

All else fails swap it out.

draken

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
When I called VZW to get a replacement Incredible, the rep rolled back my account to its previous settings so she could reapply the NE2 discount. It stayed this way until I activated the replacement unit. During the time I was waiting for it to ship, all of my outgoing SMS messages were undeliverable even though I had texting on my previous phone/plan. Perhaps you were in a similar situation? Once I activated the replacement unit, SMS messages worked just fine.

j_rambo77

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Is a hard reset the same as the factory reset? Just asking cause if I can avoid having to search for all my apps again that would be awesome.

draken

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Use appbrain.com to manage all of your apps. Made it easy when I had to move over to my replacement Incredible.

Haven't tried it with paid apps, though. All I've downloaded so far have been free.

Last edited:

jrapp

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Everything but SMS works on my phone. Multiple resets don't fix the problem. Handcent SMS works just fine. Microsoft Exchange email, gmail, Yahoo Mail, browsing all works fine. And I'm not talking about Google Voice SMS - I don't even use Google Voice. I'm talking about plain old cell phone SMS. Not threaded. It's broken regardless of whether or.not I send it to Verizon's or somebody else's phone. Messages show up under undeliverable. This sucks. Otherwise I love this phone - especially coming from CrapBerry Storm.

I had the same issue. I did a factory reset and it resolved. A pain, but it did resolve.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
The store will keep track of what you have downloaded and installed. And you have a quick list of things to reinstall that way you don't forget something. Or use the appbrain app that way you can select a full package of apps and you are good to go.

What I call a "hard reset" is the factory reset on the phone. It erases everything and puts it back in the shape it was when you pulled it out of the box.

mudpud

May 5, 2010
Visit site
SOLVED: I'M SUCH A PERFECTIONIST: I added hyphens in my default SMS callback number as opposed to having the 10 digit phone number displayed on the recipient's phone all bunched together. Well - that was enough to render the HTC SMS client dysfunctional. I reset to factory settings & problem is now solved. I'm pretty sure I can do threaded SMS even to non-Verizon customers with the native app without having to resort to Handcent.

bdizzel1982

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
SOLVED: I'M SUCH A PERFECTIONIST: I added hyphens in my default SMS callback number as opposed to having the 10 digit phone number displayed on the recipient's phone all bunched together. Well - that was enough to render the HTC SMS client dysfunctional. I reset to factory settings & problem is now solved. I'm pretty sure I can do threaded SMS even to non-Verizon customers with the native app without having to resort to Handcent.

I have noticed quite a few people on here prefer handcent over the native app. Why do you prefer the native app over handcent or was it just a matter of figure out why it wasn't working?

mudpud

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I just don't feel the need to add a 3rd party solution when I haven't tried the built in functionality first. I've read that HTC has much improved their stock Android software. So far I really like all the HTC apps. Even their Facebook app is better than my BlackBerry Storm facebook app.

mudpud

May 5, 2010
Visit site
The hyphens caused the problem. My SMS now works perfectly. I think the native HTC solution is almost as good as the handcent one. They're BOTH certainly 30x better than the BlackBerry Storm SMS bubbles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674