05-19-2010 02:00 PM
220 1234 ...
tools
    Just to throw in my 2 cents, i actually use an HTC ozone (and its 1500mah battery) to swap out and charge for the incredible. So i use the 1500mah battery until it dies, then i swap to the 1300mah incredible battery while the 1500 charges in the ozone, then i swap them back again. If there was a problem with how the incredible isn't charging the batteries all the way, wouldn't my method of using the ozone to charge the batteries do the same thing that this trick does?
    05-08-2010 10:19 AM
    It seems I have to do this every time I charge. The light will turn green, but if I unplug it, and plug it back in its red again. This is a frustrating fix, because when I leave for work in the morning, I like to take it off its charger and go. Not sit around waiting for it to "actually" charge back up. If my phone isn't the only one doing this though, I suppose its a software issue.
    Yours is definitely not the only one. My concern though is that it isn't a software issue, but an issue with the charging circuitry. Especially since I read another post saying this didn't work when plugged into a usb on a laptop.
    05-08-2010 11:04 AM
    this has got to be the the most pathetic thing to do to try and get a battery to perform better. especially if you have to do this every time to 'trick' the battery to perform better. just saying
    I agree. And unless someone has tested each step individually, it's probably not doing anything useful for your phone.

I turn mine off to charge when I go to sleep at night (I realize this is not an option for some people). That has greatly improved my batter life. I'm not doing this battery rain dance everyone's going on about.:rolleyes:
    05-08-2010 11:05 AM
    Or as I have said multiple times over, Just turn your phone OFF then charge it. I'm not trying to come across rude but am just trying to save you guys the hassle. Seriously, who wants to do a 5 step method just to charge your cell phone?? And their will be some that say they need their phone for an alarm, I say go to wal mart and spend the $13 on an actual alarm clock.
    I turn it OFF and put my phone on the charger when I go to bed around 10:10pm give or take, then when I wake up around 7:30am give or take I unplug it, turn it on and it lasts me the entire day. I wouldn't say I enthrall my self in the phone all day but I do use it pretty frequently and have ZERO battery issues.
    05-08-2010 11:28 AM
    Or as I have said multiple times over, Just turn your phone OFF then charge it. I'm not trying to come across rude but am just trying to save you guys the hassle. Seriously, who wants to do a 5 step method just to charge your cell phone?? And their will be some that say they need their phone for an alarm, I say go to wal mart and spend the $13 on an actual alarm clock.
    I turn it OFF and put my phone on the charger when I go to bed around 10:10pm give or take, then when I wake up around 7:30am give or take I unplug it, turn it on and it lasts me the entire day. I wouldn't say I enthrall my self in the phone all day but I do use it pretty frequently and have ZERO battery issues.
    It's easy for one to say this but some people have to keep their phone on constantly overnight for late night calls for business (i.e. on call 24/7) or important emails on a business email.
    05-08-2010 11:32 AM
    It's easy for one to say this but some people have to keep their phone on constantly overnight for late night calls for business (i.e. on call 24/7) or important emails on a business email.
    I understand. Luckily for me thats not the case. But for all those who dont need to I STRONGLY suggest this. It is the most simple solution to our battery issues.
    05-08-2010 11:34 AM
    I can confirm this does not work (at least for me)

If anything it made it worse. Unplugged turned off red light green light blah blah... doesn't do a thing. Left for work, and I kid you not, 30 minutes later I unlocked my phone for the first time since it has been unplugged to check the time.... and I was at 76% battery life.

Checked my signal strength, its at -84dbm. Which shouldn't be too bad.

Defective? Normal? Overreacting?

Frustrating for sure.
    05-08-2010 05:47 PM
    This seems to have worked for me. I did it through three cycles this morning and have been using the phone heavily today (including using Navigation) and it still has over 50% left. Obviously it isn't something I would want to do every day but it definitely works and will be good for when I know that I'm going to be away from a charger for a while.

And to the poster above who said to just turn the phone off at night and charge it, I have done that and it hasn't improved battery life for me (versus charging with it on). This HAS definitely increased battery life significantly, though.
    05-08-2010 08:04 PM
    This is upsetting to hear from everyone. It seems like a fix that we shouldn't need to perform in order to get the best performance from our phones. I hope something is done by HTC to allow our phones to charge properly without needing to play with charging cycles. If its a hardware issue I hope they replace the defective phones.
    05-08-2010 08:21 PM
    how long does it take to fully charge..
    05-08-2010 08:56 PM
    Not seeing any big difference in using this method.
    05-08-2010 09:27 PM
    I can say that this works for me. Before I couldn't go half a day without the battery being dead. Now after doing this, I've gotten through most of the day and my battery is now at 50% and its almost 8pm. It's helped me so ill continue to do this.
    05-08-2010 09:44 PM
    all you that say it work, tomorrow dont do it to test and see how a normal charge works
    05-08-2010 09:51 PM
    Well I did a normal charge last night after testing. So far I'm at 4 hours 27 minutes and I've only dropped to 70%. Didn't use my phone for much of web surfing today but I did play a podcast for ~2.5 hours today. It seems this thing is doing "magically" better after that first initial battery "trick". We will see this week when my web time picks back up during the week I believe but I do think I'll be seeing at least an additional 1-2 hours of battery after this.

howarmat why are you so negative on this? I understand you bought an extension battery, and while I'm not getting the supposed 12-14+ hours you are getting on it, making my phone stretch out to 10-12 hours on a stock battery is a good deal. Like I said still not exactly assured this is working but over last night and today it sure seems to be working.

Just to clarify I did do a normal battery charge between going to bed last night and using it today. And I'm still not 100% positive this is adding to daily battery life but it sure seems like it.
    05-08-2010 11:37 PM
    This worked in a big way for me, I think it's definatly a bug that needs to be fixed. But I'm glad to have this for when I'm not going to be near a charger for a long time.

2 nights ago I went on a 2.5 hour bike ride using cardiotrianer (gps) and listening to music, I started at 90% battery and it died 10 min before I got home.

Tonight (using this method) I went for 3 hours started at 100% and when I got home I was still at 68%
    05-08-2010 11:53 PM
    because as a user do you honestly think you should have to try this bad to get a battery to make it even 15 hours? its stupid. the one thing i noticed is the battery certainly is doing better for me now than 3 days after i started using the ext battery. So some of the better results can just be from normal battery condition and what not and have not impact on this trick. thats why i want to see results AFTER you try this trick.

most people dont have time in the morning to screw around with this daily either so i am sure they want to know if this trick does work do you have to do it everyday or is it a one time conditioning thing
    05-08-2010 11:55 PM
    I only did this trick once. Today I did a normal charge with the same results. I've only had the phone for 4 days so it could be conditioning on the battery or it could be this trick. Hence the reason I did a normal charge on it today, and I'll do a normal tomorrow and see if it works.

I highly doubt it's battery conditioning however considering that before I could squeeze 5-6 hours with everything on the phone turned on, and now I'm looking at 10 hours without a sweat. If I start turning options off it could probably span outwards to 12-14 hours. I'm talking about turning off GPS etc when not being used.
    05-09-2010 12:00 AM
    because as a user do you honestly think you should have to try this bad to get a battery to make it even 15 hours? its stupid. the one thing i noticed is the battery certainly is doing better for me now than 3 days after i started using the ext battery. So some of the better results can just be from normal battery condition and what not and have not impact on this trick. thats why i want to see results AFTER you try this trick.

most people dont have time in the morning to screw around with this daily either so i am sure they want to know if this trick does work do you have to do it everyday or is it a one time conditioning thing
    I agree with everything you're saying with regards to not knowing for sure why or if this is working, and I know we don't all have that much time each morning. I also agree that it's pathetic to have to go to such measures. Hopefully it's something that can and will be fixed.

That being said, I can say anecdotally that I saw major improvement in battery life today.

I also don't believe that it has anything to do with the normal lifecycle of the battery. I got the phone on launch day and saw the battery get a little better on the first two days of use but it has been pretty steady since, until I tried that this morning and saw a substantial increase in the life of my battery.

Plus, even if it's not increasing the life of the battery, there must be some sort of bug. How else could you explain the phone saying it was fully charged, unplugging it, putting it right back on the charger, and then it taking another 20+ minutes to say it's fully charged again...it makes no sense.

I'm going to try this again tomorrow, and then on Monday morning I'll unplug it and leave for work like I always do, with no special tricks, and we'll see what happens.
    05-09-2010 12:12 AM
    to compare...my storm 2 will stay at 100 for a couple hours then start to go down at about 3% an hour. basically the OPPOSITE of this.

so its more or less a glitch in the software or batteries in general have odd characteristics coming from 100% charge
    05-09-2010 12:24 AM
    Batteries tend to discharge faster as they die as well.
    05-09-2010 02:40 AM
    When I bought my phone from Best Buy, it was dead. There wasn't even a pre-charge. The phone wouldn't turn on. He had to use a different battery from one of the on display incredibles. Maybe my battery has been no good from the start, but I definitely notice a difference doing this trick.

EDIT: I forgot to mention he gave me the original batter back after charging it up a bit and seeing that it worked. Also, when my phone is nearing full charge, the charger makes a high pitch scream. Even after getting the charger replaced it still does it.
    05-09-2010 07:33 AM
    Well after an very long night time to plug it back into the charger. I was on a vanilla charge all day today, meaning I didn't bump charge the phone on this charge. I am now sitting on 12 hours 41m 10sec since unplug. Battery is at 20% now. I think this may work out just nice. Going to do a regular charge on it again with it plugged into the computer and turned on this time. Last time it was turned off and plugged into the wall, and see if I get comparable results. Fingers crossed.
    05-09-2010 07:47 AM
    I tried this trick on Friday night, charged all night, got up Sat morning, turned phone off, plugged back in (not sure how long it took to get green again) unplugged @ 7:45 am, made several phone calls, about 20 emails, emailed about 6 pictures, facebook, some txt's and took a dozen or so pictures. used the browser for about 3hrs total, at 1 am, i still had over 40% left, left unplugged all night, woke up this morning and battery was still in the green.. this never lasted this long typically dead by 7pm!!
    05-09-2010 09:10 AM
    Tried this morning... woke up at 7:30... turned phone off, unplugged, turned phone on, turned phone off, plugged back in.... repeated this process probably 10 times so far. It's now 11:30 my time - been 4 hours and still, my light is taking around 20 minutes to go from amber to green. What's the deal...? Isn't it supposed to eventually go to green relatively quickly (almost instantly), and that's when the "process" is "over?"

Am I doing something wrong?
    05-09-2010 10:35 AM
    just charged mine again, did the same process, took about 20 minutes to come back to green once off
    05-09-2010 10:41 AM
220 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD