05-19-2010 02:00 PM
220 12345 ...
tools
    this has got to be the the most pathetic thing to do to try and get a battery to perform better. especially if you have to do this every time to 'trick' the battery to perform better. just saying
    Yeah, I typically get around 17 hours with stock options without doing any tricks. GPS on, Wi-fi on, etc. That was with a live wallpaper too which used about 2% of my battery. I wouldn't classify my usage as "heavy" but my battery does what I need it to and gets me through the day with no need to carry around a charger. Obviously, if I'm playing a game or watching a movie or something the battery isn't going to hold out nearly as long but I don't expect it to. My Storm would go forever without a charge but if my sister started playing Nintaii or something, the battery would be go from 70-80% to the yellow in a couple hours. I'm happy with my battery life but I charged fully before turning it on the first time. I don't know if that helped or not. I hope that we get to the bottom of this battery issue though because a lot of people aren't happy with the battery life. Whether it is a battery issue or (hopefully) a software issue that can be corrected it needs to be fixed soon.
    05-09-2010 01:46 PM
    Tried this morning... woke up at 7:30... turned phone off, unplugged, turned phone on, turned phone off, plugged back in.... repeated this process probably 10 times so far. It's now 11:30 my time - been 4 hours and still, my light is taking around 20 minutes to go from amber to green. What's the deal...? Isn't it supposed to eventually go to green relatively quickly (almost instantly), and that's when the "process" is "over?"

Am I doing something wrong?
    Since the battery is 100% charged the first time you try this, the time from red to green has zero to do with additional charging (or anything of that sort). If it took 20 minutes the first time, it should take 20 minutes the 5th (or 10th) time. It is just the cycle the device runs when plugged in.
    05-09-2010 02:17 PM
    I am thinking that the phone's battery meter may think the battery is fully charged when it isn't. when the phone is turned off, the meter isn't working and the battery can be charged up fully.
    Laptop battery meters are the same way. they can become "out of sync" with the battery. Draining the battery then charging usually does the trick to sync them.

However you look at it. A 1 ghz processor draws a lot of power. there are times when my battery is at 75% when I get to work. 45 minutes after removing from the overnight charge. Something was using the processor. Anyjuan know of an app that shows what app is using the processor?
    05-09-2010 02:29 PM
    I think a lot of people don't know that the processor is not always running at 1Ghz. Download the app called System Monitor and watch it, mine underclocks to ~300 mhz when just sitting there watching the monitor, but when I launch something it goes back immediately between there and 1Ghz. So it's not always using full power on the processor.
    05-09-2010 02:44 PM
    Charged it overnight and today it seems to be doing better than it had before I tried this little "trick." I can't really compare it to yesterday (the first day of use after using this method) because my usage between the two days is very different.
    05-09-2010 02:56 PM
    will have to do the cycle of battery charge/drain again. i got very excited with in hour of unplugging it, it still said 98% but still have 6hrs of LIGHT use i was dead. or in the orange actually.
    05-09-2010 04:17 PM
    Charged it overnight and today it seems to be doing better than it had before I tried this little "trick." I can't really compare it to yesterday (the first day of use after using this method) because my usage between the two days is very different.
    My sentiments exactly... battery life yesterday (When I performed the trick) was *outstanding* on moderate use. I got through the whole day with more than 50% battery left when I went to bed.

Today, I decided to just unplug it in the morning without the trick, and battery life is still holding up quite well (not as good as yesterday but I think I'm using it more too).

So maybe this is just a one time fix, or something that needs to be done every so often? Who knows. I'm just happy my battery life is reasonable now.
    05-09-2010 04:29 PM
    After trying the two methods - standard and this new method I can honestly say that the "new" method definitely is better even though its a little bit of a hassle. I'll take the new method. After unhooking my phone using the standard way my phones at 50% after 2 hrs use. For a 500 dollar device, two hrs at 50% is flatout ridiculous. "New" method my battery lasted me all day.
    05-09-2010 04:48 PM
    If you are able to turn your phone off while charging then do so. It is the answer to all your battery problems. I realize that SOME cannot do this but most of you can. No need to do all this crazy 5 step program JUST to hopefully get a better performance out of their battery. I last charged my phone Friday night until Saturday morning around 7am. It is now Sunday at 3pm and I have over 50% charge left. So once again. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS TURN YOUR PHONE OFF WHILE CHARGING. If you can't for whatever reason, well, buy 3 extra batteries.
    05-09-2010 04:55 PM
    Ok, I have to say... my battery seemed a good bit better yesterday after doing "the trick." Granted, I didn't unplug until noon or something, so MUCH later than normal, but my percentage was at 40 percent around 11:15 pm. To compare, I normally unplug around 8 am, and am dead or dying around 6 pm. My usage was quite comparable, I'd say (though who can really be sure without documenting).

Trying it again today, we'll see how it goes. I'm not normally able to charge my phone while off, but I DID do that the first day my device came in (just waited a while to activate it), and I also did it last night.

Big test will be on Wednesday, when I go to my "other job" and get horrible reception - I'll report back after that, to see how battery life is using this method (in an area with horrible reception).
    05-10-2010 06:55 AM
    Interesting note, been doing the fix again today (my 2nd day), except this time I'm just keeping the phone off the entire time: no turning on whatsoever. Charged it while off the whole night, and been unplugging for about 10 seconds when green, then plugging back in. Amber, then goes to green. Time to get to green from amber has been decreasing all morning. I think I have "bottomed out" the time it takes at 68 seconds: the last 4 amber to green charges have taken 1 minute and 8 seconds EXACTLY, zero fluctuation. Very interesting, especially because just yesterday, it was taking me roughly 20 minutes for amber to green charges...

Could it be that tomorrow will be far less than 68 seconds - and so on and so forth, until it is an immediate thing, thus having fully calibrated my battery?

It definitely seems as though the calibration has been way off, and that we haven't been fully charging our batteries at all - and we keep pushing them to the max each time we do this, and as we do so, they devices are learning about where the 100% mark REALLY is. That's my theory (fully uneducated), for now. Can someone with a chemical (battery) background attest to this? Or, tell me how wrong I am?
    05-10-2010 07:50 AM
    WTF? Figured I'd try one last charge for the heck of it, to see if I could beat that 68 seconds. I'm at 2 minutes 22 seconds now, still amber. What is going on here, I seriously had exactly 68 seconds 4 times consecutively... coincidence? Doesn't seem like it... yet this seemingly random long charge throws everything off...
    05-10-2010 07:54 AM
    From my experience with this type of battery, coming from rc electric experience anyways, the method used to charge is as follows (this may or may not be what the phone is doing, just my experience with electric rc):

Plug in said pack and charge at whatever the specified rate is (1amp 5 amps..whatever).
    Unit charges the pack to a certain amount, and then starts leveling off, lowering the current automatically as it goes.
    After pack reaches a certain "voltage" the charger shuts off and pack is "fully charged".

So basically it charges as quick as it can until a certain voltage is reached, and then lowers the current by itself until it reaches the specific voltage level its looking for. I assume this is to avoid overcharging and fire. I don't know if our chargers or the phones circuitry (or battery circuitry if there is any) is doing the same thing or not, but it seems reasonable it could be.

Would it be crazy to think that while on it limits the current for charging to protect the phone and uses the battery meter to determine full charge but while off its a different method? Maybe the theory that our meters don't quite understand what a "full charge" is yet holds some water..
    05-10-2010 07:59 AM
    With all of this talk about charging the phone overnight while off, is there any danger in overcharging? I know that it was recommended by the Verizon folks (yeah, I know, they don't know anything) to only charge until it gets to full then unplug (approximately 4 hours according to the charger specs). Just wondering what the downside was to leaving the phone on the charger overnight. Thanks.
    05-10-2010 08:03 AM
    i have always charged my phones overnight if it needs it, storm 1 and 2 and inc. I assume all battereies these days have overcharge protection and it shouldnt hurt them. I have never had a phone overheat and fry itself or have a horrible battery life either. Hell my storm 2 just went 30 hours and was at 20% when i plugged it in last night on the 1600 battery from seidio.
    05-10-2010 08:11 AM
    tpc, thanks for that info. Interesting to read. For others, my time is now back down to 68 seconds after just a few repeated cycles.

Finally had to power up... we'll see how it goes this AM.
    05-10-2010 08:12 AM
    If you are able to turn your phone off while charging then do so. It is the answer to all your battery problems.
    I suggest you use caution before you sell anything a cure-all. I bit the bullet twice and turned the phone off while charging -- even added some elements of the other fixes. No improvement. Obviously, whatever clicked and started working for you is not guaranteed for others.
    05-10-2010 11:39 AM
    For the last two days I have been charging this way. I have noticed that I charge it on till its green. Then unplug and power it off then plug it back in. Light is orange and it does not change for almost 20min. Then unplug then plug back in and it charges for another 10-15min till its green. After that it is green everytime I plug it in.

Very strange. Im going to wait for the 2150 battery. Im hopping that it only pushes the thickness out to be flush with the camera lens. I can live with that.
    05-10-2010 12:20 PM
    Normally I would be down below 30% by 12:00. I start my day at O:God thirty
    Today I turned off my phone at 4:00 am, charged it to 4:20, Still red light and went to work. At 12:00, I still have 71% charge.

It's working for me
    05-10-2010 02:40 PM
    It's very simple to prove whether this has any effect at all. I know someone out there has a multimeter and has actual done some testing.

I won't give away the ending, but...
    05-10-2010 03:52 PM
    This is upsetting to hear from everyone. It seems like a fix that we shouldn't need to perform in order to get the best performance from our phones. I hope something is done by HTC to allow our phones to charge properly without needing to play with charging cycles. If its a hardware issue I hope they replace the defective phones.
    I'm not sure why you say that, it's fairly common knowledge that you should turn your phone off while charging. It's only in us in our seeming need to stay always connected that we have forgotten this. Even in the Incredible owners manual on page 6 it says that "It is important to fully charge the battery before powering on your wireless device." Eve though these phones shipped with batteries 3/4 of the way full. And I have seen other phone manuals that it is recommended to charge the battery with the phone powered off.

There is nothing wrong with the phones, we have just never used phones that used this much juice before. Incredible is more like a netbook than a cel phone.
    05-11-2010 03:56 AM
    I'm not sure why you say that, it's fairly common knowledge that you should turn your phone off while charging. It's only in us in our seeming need to stay always connected that we have forgotten this. Even in the Incredible owners manual on page 6 it says that "It is important to fully charge the battery before powering on your wireless device." Eve though these phones shipped with batteries 3/4 of the way full. And I have seen other phone manuals that it is recommended to charge the battery with the phone powered off.

There is nothing wrong with the phones, we have just never used phones that used this much juice before. Incredible is more like a netbook than a cel phone.
    that is for the FIRST charge only
    05-11-2010 04:46 AM
    Not to add to the battery voodoo, but I tried this and it worked pretty well. But even further, I tried it with a USB computer charge. It seemed to work even better. I don't know if its the slow, trickle type charge or what, but it took a long time to charge and held it a long time too.
    05-11-2010 06:22 AM
    Just wanted to point out that there seems to be no point in plugging the phone back in several times. Just turn it off plug it in and when it's green again your good to go. The little charges after that take longer to do then any battery gain your getting.
    05-11-2010 08:25 AM
    The Incredible's battery is compatible with the Eris, right? So does anyone have an Eris that we can test something out in?

Try putting the battery in the Eris, and then charging it up. After it's charged, take it out of the Eris and put it back in the Incredible, and see if that impacts the battery life. That way we can see if it's a problem with the battery, or how the Incredible charges the battery.
    05-11-2010 08:35 AM
220 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD