Tried and true fix for battery issue

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Well I'm 3 days into the new charging routine of turning the phone off. Still doing just regular charges after the initial bump charge.

I have been leaving GPS, WiFi, and Mobile Network on all day. Found out btw the GPS works like the wifi and if not being used turns it's self into a low power mode.

I'm at 71% after 6hrs 9mins. I did a lot of mobile browsing (2 hours), 12 phone calls all short maybe 1-5 minutes a call. Received gmail push for about 50 emails, sent/received 10 text message and Gtalked all day long so well over 50 messages.

I think I've decided the phone being on is the issue with the phone charging. Going to try the next 3 days charging with the phone on and see what kind of life I'm getting out of it. Via this setup, like yesterday, using the phone pretty heavy I pulled 10 hours without a sweat using it all day, ended up not turning the phone off till 2am and the battery was still at 17%. (My usage pretty well dies off after 6pm. So the phone spent a lot of idle time between 6pm and 2 am.) So all considered I'm happy with the life of the battery now, not so happy with the preliminary results so we will see.

Thank god for an alarm clock!

XXXdc5

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I agree. And unless someone has tested each step individually, it's probably not doing anything useful for your phone.

I turn mine off to charge when I go to sleep at night (I realize this is not an option for some people). That has greatly improved my batter life. I'm not doing this battery rain dance everyone's going on about.:rolleyes:
Battery rain dance! This made me LOL. Just sayin

Hopefully theirs a bat life fix in an update coming soon kinda like they fixed the storm 1 pretty quickly when it first came out

kmully

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Well it's almost 9:30 Central time here... I'm down to only 70%. That's with multiple emails throughout the day, a bit of Twicca, and two ~5 minute phone calls.

Massive improvement. Massive. We'll see if my phone dies overnight like it did last night (acted very strange).

kmully

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Update:

Battery removed from charger ~9:30AM yesterday after doing this trick
Battery percentage: 53%
Up time: 22 hours, 26 minutes
Awake time: 1 hour, 3 minutes

What's used battery:
44% Cell standby
43% Phone idle
7% Android system
4% Voice calls
2% Display

This has worked beautifully for me. I guess I should have tested the battery trick without ATK and then with ATK, but either way this is working great. I'm using both the charging trick and ATK.

howarmat

Trusted Member
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
the 1 hour and 3 minute uptime means you are barely even touching the phone though. i have awake time of 2:34 since last night and that really isnt all that much use, not even moderate really.

kmully

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
the 1 hour and 3 minute uptime means you are barely even touching the phone though. i have awake time of 2:34 since last night and that really isnt all that much use, not even moderate really.

Right, but if that is my normal use it can still be used to compare to previous battery life. Even with that little use in the past I would never make it through an entire day. The battery would just flop. As I mentioned in the sticky thread at the top of the forum regarding battery issues, I went to bed the other night at 70% and the phone died in the middle of the night.

My only concern is this ends up damaging the battery somehow.

mritter88

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Update:

What's used battery:
44% Cell standby
43% Phone idle
7% Android system
4% Voice calls
2% Display

Why is my "Android system" always at least like 50%? It doesn't seem like it should be so high, and by looking at yours it seems this isn't the case for everyone. Maybe it's just because you barely used your phone? *shrugs*

VZWBB

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
mr88, I can't really answer the question, however, my phone was high after setup until I rebooted it and then the android sytem usage went down (to like 2%). Now yesterday I ran it down until the phone wouldn't even turn on, charged it up and turned it back on and now my andriod usage is at like 92%.

I think it has something to do with the time it starts measuring usage. If it happens soon enough, it catches all the usage as the phone boots, if it happens later it only catches some or very little. At least thats my guess anyways.

mritter88

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
mr88, I can't really answer the question, however, my phone was high after setup until I rebooted it and then the android sytem usage went down (to like 2%). Now yesterday I ran it down until the phone wouldn't even turn on, charged it up and turned it back on and now my andriod usage is at like 92%.

I think it has something to do with the time it starts measuring usage. If it happens soon enough, it catches all the usage as the phone boots, if it happens later it only catches some or very little. At least thats my guess anyways.

Interesting. I guess it's not really a huge deal, I was just curious (I'd also imagine that high system usage would use more battery, but Idk)

ezmune

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I wished I had my regular DROID back!! I work 12 hr. shifts at night and at least the Droid lasted the whole shift at work. I've got the new INCREDIBLE DROID. I like it except for the battery won't last more that about 7 hrs. at work! This is pitiful. Why couldn't the engineers put in a battery like they did the Droid?? I like the lightness, and the text messaging on the INCREDIBLE DROID but the battery SUX. I wished I had never ordered this incredible.

tjubb

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I wished I had my regular DROID back!! I work 12 hr. shifts at night and at least the Droid lasted the whole shift at work. I've got the new INCREDIBLE DROID. I like it except for the battery won't last more that about 7 hrs. at work! This is pitiful. Why couldn't the engineers put in a battery like they did the Droid?? I like the lightness, and the text messaging on the INCREDIBLE DROID but the battery SUX. I wished I had never ordered this incredible.

Because they want us all to shell out $60 for the extended battery. Sadly, I'm in the same boat as you and I now have to keep the phone plugged in at all times now in case I end up away from an outlet for an extended period of time. I'm not happy about it but I am anxiously awaiting the VZW extended battery because I need it to get through a full day.

mritter88

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Because they want us all to shell out $60 for the extended battery. Sadly, I'm in the same boat as you and I now have to keep the phone plugged in at all times now in case I end up away from an outlet for an extended period of time. I'm not happy about it but I am anxiously awaiting the VZW extended battery because I need it to get through a full day.

And because they were made by different companies lol

kmully

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

Before going off on a rant, have you tried any of the battery tricks listed in this thread or elsewhere in the forum?

aug0211#WN

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Got to say, I thought this was helping me, but it was hard to say because I ended up unplugging my phone so late into the day that I couldn't be sure.

Woke up extra early this AM to be sure I got the bump charges in as needed (also charged with phone off all night). So, this is my first "true" day of testing it (even though it's the third day I've used this bump method).

I unlpugged my device at 8:02 am. I have 7% left at 3:14 pm my time.

Cell standby: 26
Android Ststem: 23
Phone idle: 18
Wifi: 10
BT: 9
Voice calls: 7
Display: 7

Thoughts? Extended battery is in my future, I think...

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Thoughts? Extended battery is in my future, I think...

Your experience sounds exactly like mine. I stopped bothering with the tricks. I'm just hanging on for that huge 3500 by Seidio at this point. Once I have that, I won't care about battery power again.

I 'chatted' with Seidio support today -- they think the 3500 will be out in a month.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis