Incredible is spazzing and moving from screen to screen

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
This happened to my Droid a few weeks ago and I had to take it to Verizon and get a replacement. It sounds like the screen is going bad and tried everything from doing a factory reset to flashing a new Rom and nothing worked.

jamesy

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
thanks, i unplugged the usb cable and then turned it on and off and it's cool as of now but I will keep that in mind...I wonder what the warranty is on this phone, its 12 months with HTC but if the phone fail within the verizon 2 years, I wonder if they help a brotha out or if they at least give the subsidized price on a new phone

GMFreak8

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Mine was doing that too. It also kept launching the voice search by itself, and then would randomly dial people. If you happen to have Rhapsody installed, that's what was causing it for me. I uninstalled and reinstalled and haven't had a problem since. It did it for a couple of days before I realized what was going on. I'm not sure if this could be tied with your problem, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
You could also try a hard reset - but I think I would agree with Mclarryjr: take it back while it is still new.

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
this happened to the incredible I played with at the Verizon store. on the homescreen it would just scroll all the way to the last homescreen by itself. very weird.

jmorosky

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I just got off the phone with verizon and they are sending me a new one. Screen went crazy this morning. Calling people, going from leap screen to home screen. Haptic buttons not working. I took the battery out a few times. Spoke to Scott at verizon and we did a hard reset? hold the down volume button and the power button at the same time and nothing worked. I thought it might have had something to do with Handcentsms or an app called Ringtone but after we did the reset it still acted up.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Nah no app should make it do that, the screen is made of multiple layers that when your finger touches it cause a connection between the layer there and registers a touch. This is a really simplified explanation, however it probably was stuck somewhere and making it go crazy. Good luck with your new phone!

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Since deleting a couple of apps - amazingly - I've deliberately put my phone in the same scenarios as before to see if the screens will flip again -- no re-occurrence. Unfortunately, I don't remember which apps I uninstalled. (is there a way to find out?)

As soon as I see these screens flip again, I'm taking the phone back to Verizon. I just can't believe it hasn't happened since deleting those apps.

Edit: the optical joystick has been working perfectly, too. what the hell is going on? lol.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I just remembered the other thing I did to my Incredible before the screens stopped flipping -- after having read that thread about how the capacitive touch screen doesn't work when the phone is sitting on blankets, Styrofoam, in card docks, etc., I tested my phone on whatever I could find: boxes, bubble wrap, blankets, my sofa, carpeting.

If, in fact, my flipping screen issue is resolved somehow, I wonder if exposure to some of those materials altered something? Doubt it, but...?

[My screen failed to register on the bubble wrap & sofa, jic it matters.]

SeanNYC76

May 3, 2010
Visit site
OHH BOYYY! Same exact think happen to mine earlier, Just started to wigg out and change screens out of nowhere. Did a battery pull, and waited for about 20 seconds to fire it back up. Been fine since then, but Honestly, between this and the call quality issues, I'm about ready to pack it up and bring it back and wait for the next big thing!

anon(21359)

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I also have experienced the random screen changes. I was wondering if it was light related. I'm continuing to experiment but, I'm guessing, this will be resolved with a software update at some point.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I also have experienced the random screen changes. I was wondering if it was light related. I'm continuing to experiment but, I'm guessing, this will be resolved with a software update at some point.

Based on when/where it happened to me so often, I thought it was either light-related or the sensitive Incredible was reacting - under the right conditions - to signals/energy from things like laptops, TVs, etc.

Since uninstalling a couple of apps, though, I swear I have not been able to get the screens to flip themselves. Still trying - especially tonight when I watch a little TV. Maybe it was an app.

anon(21359)

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I have had the problem of screens chaning on their own also - home screens, clock screens and others. I've narrowed this issue down to the optical trackball. In certain lighting conditions, the screens change. If you hold your thumb over the trackball - it stops. I'm guessing it's a design thing; hopefully corrected with software. I've requested a new phone.

taggs34

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Same Issue

I am having the same issue as well. It's funny because the VZW reps don't know what to say other than "Do a factory Reset and it should be fine". I love the phone, it's the best i have had, but this is annoying to wait for a replacement.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I lost track of this thread, I guess.

I ended up getting a new replacement before my 30-day return period ended. Fortunately, the optical joystick works much better than the 1st phone, and I do not have the screen flipping problem anymore.

There must have been a bad batch of Incs in the beginning. My 2nd Inc was assembled about 1 month after my 1st Inc.

angiebugg

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I am getting this now. Had this issue this morning. As soon as I took it off the charger it swiped to the far left screen and wouldn't let me go home. I pulled the battery (former Tour user here) and it has been fine since. What the heck? I just got this phone 8/5, so it doesn't sound like an early batch of phone issues. I love this phone and have customized the heck out of it and just don't want to start over, ya know.

Will FroYo fix this and I can wait?

Crap, do I try to get a replacement??? I am in my 30 days.