SD card: The root of all evil!

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm convinced SD cards in smartphones are not a good idea. I've used two different ones in my DInc since purchasing it over a year ago and I think I can trace back several problems to the cards:

1. Disappearing album art: most of my .mp3 collection predated embedded album art. So I installed Album Art Grabber and took the time to scan and select art for 8 gigs worth of music. In short order all my art would be gone! It seems like whenever I plugged the USB cord into the computer, it would erase the art. Now I embed the art using a different app.

2. Painfully slow Gallery: I gave up entirely on the stock gallery, switched to the Froyo Gallery and finally to JustPictures. Even with months of updating the app, I still find it necessary to turn refresh to manual so I'm not slowed down by unnecessary scanning.

3. Skipping music: enough said

4. Skipping podcasts: using Doggcatcher, if I listen to a podcast while it's downloading another, I get periodic skipping.

5. Scrambled ringtones: every couple months I have to go through my contacts and reassign the proper ringtones. The other day my phone rang while I was internetting and the ringtone was something I'd never heard before. When I checked the sound setting for the default sound, it showed what was supposed to be there but it wasn't what played.

I could probably think of more problems...

What's your SD card experience like?

TJH

iowabowtech

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Never had much problem personally but I know those that have. I do like the FAT32 format for this phone. For some reason it seems to play well with it, could be a placebo effect though idk.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Never had an SD card issue either, but cheap cards will have poor performance due to slower read write times and funky manufacturing. Be sure to get a good name brand card like Sandisk or Kingston. Don't by a "Tony's House of SD" branded card even if the 32 Gig card is only $10.

Oh and there are a TON of fake Sandisk/Kingston cards out there, Sandisk has a link on their site about how to spot a fraud. But your best rule of thumb is to buy from a legitimate supplier/retailer. Even if e-bay is cheaper.

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
what class sd card are you using?

The first card was the Verizon special from last year (one of the first 32gig cards on the market). Specifically, it was a Sandisk Class 2 card. Running test showed it performed better than that, but I was still having issues with skipping, so I upgraded to a Patriot Class 10 that I purchased from either Amazon or Newegg. It passes all read, write, validate tests, so I know it's genuine.

I ran a test last night (SD Card Tester app) and found that the write speed was about 6.3Mb/s while read speed was 3.01Mb/s. Is it normal for a card to have a higher write speed than read speed?

One other malady I've noticed with the cards: After moving Dolphin Browser HD to the card, none of my default settings would save. Each time I clicked a link, I was presented with the three browsers I have installed to choose from. Pretty annoying at a dozen times a day!

TJH

coastalcarolina

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
You may want to try a full format (not quick) on the micro sd card from your PC. Make sure you use FAT32 file format.

The SD card format from the phone menu seems to happen way too quickly to be a full format.

Last edited: