Selecting the email account to SEND FROM

hubdju

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
(former BB user, but enjoying my Incredible experience)

I don't use the native e.mail app. Instead, I use GMail exclusively. I have 3 GMail accounts that push to my Incredible.

When I select someone in my People list and choose to "Send mail," I get a pop-up that queries whether I want to use GMail or the native mail app. I always select GMail.

When the GMail composition screen launches, the SEND FROM address (i.e., my GMail address) is pre-selected. I have found through some experimentation that pre-selection is based on the most recently accessed/used GMail account.

My question: is there a way to choose another SEND FROM GMail address? Sometimes, I don't want to e.mail from GMail account #1 and want to send from GMail account #2 (a throw-away account).

Thank you for your replies and help!

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
The native Gmail app doesn't allow us to change the sender, at least not yet. Maybe you'll find an app that adds the function? (I haven't looked.)

I have multiple Gmail & Google Apps accounts that forward to my main Gmail address. In the settings of that main Gmail account,
1) I added each of the other accounts, and
2) I set the option so that every reply is sent FROM the same email address that originally received the message.

So far, anytime I reply to a message using the Gmail app, the emails are going out FROM the same email address that the message was originally received by.

It would be nice if we could choose the sender account on the fly, though.

vjr021

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
WTF... Just confirms... If you email a lot, Android and iPhone are crap compared to BB's messaging capabilities.

Don't even get me started on Cut and paste options, or forwarding an MMS as an email, or a million other things BB does better.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
WTF... Just confirms... If you email a lot, Android and iPhone are crap compared to BB's messaging capabilities.

Don't even get me started on Cut and paste options, or forwarding an MMS as an email, or a million other things BB does better.

Android 2.2 added the ability to change the sender. I don't remember if cut & paste within Gmail was added.

The few email options that you've listed are about the ONLY things BB does better than Android. So, big whoop. lol.

lcsglvr

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I used to think BB was good. However, now, I know Android is better at most things. Yes, BB has its capabilities. Overall, though, Android wins, I think.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

what else does a bb do better?
browser?
battery pulls?
speed?
memory/ storage capacity?
To be honest....my q9m handled gmail better than the BB.

Two things I miss from BB...charging contacts (if you don't use a case) and the sleeper magnet.

Strygun

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
My question: is there a way to choose another SEND FROM GMail address? Sometimes, I don't want to e.mail from GMail account #1 and want to send from GMail account #2 (a throw-away account).

Thank you for your replies and help!

Perhaps the easiest way to do this is by hitting the MENU button while in the GMail app, then tap "Accounts" and select the one you want, then compose as normal.

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
Android 2.2 added the ability to change the sender. I don't remember if cut & paste within Gmail was added..
copy/paste in gmail still doesn't work in Froyo (at least on the custom builds out there)

And I can name a few more things that BB does better... but this is an android forum, and I don't feel like getting jumped on...

In all fairness... BB and Android BOTH have their strengths and weaknesses... NEITHER is perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol