Flashlight App Possibility? (a light, not web flash player)

newdroidnewb

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
One of my biggest losses of going to an Inc. will be the lack of a flashlight (like an actual light or torch, not the web based flash).
I really like to use the camera flash as a flashlight.

I know there are other apps that use the screen, but what's the possibility of an app coming out that uses the camera flash like the Droid or BB?

Would the phone have to be rooted for this or just a matter of someone writing an app for current build?

newdroidnewb

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I asked about this almost two weeks ago. Still no app, as far as I know. It's probably incredibly simple to write.. just have to wait for someone to write it.

you would think, but for some reason you can't use the flash with the video camera on the Inc. like you can on a Droid, BB and various other phones. That is the way a lot of the flashlight apps work is basically just turning on the video camera with flash (I don't even use app on BB, just open on video camera).

So it may be harder than normal without the flash on the video camera on the Inc.

As for why there is no flash on the video camera - I have no earthly idea. Only thing I can think of is an oversight on HTC's part, but maybe there's more to it than that.

ILoveBlythe

Dec 14, 2009
www.fhtmus.com
I know that the N1 torch requires root to use the light. Motorola actually wrote the app for their DROID so they had access to everything which made it simple for them to put out a app. It would be nice if HTC did the same but i doubt they will. Once it's rooted we'll have one i assure you as this is usually the first app written for rooted devices.

kev83202

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I know that the N1 torch requires root to use the light. Motorola actually wrote the app for their DROID so they had access to everything which made it simple for them to put out a app. It would be nice if HTC did the same but i doubt they will. Once it's rooted we'll have one i assure you as this is usually the first app written for rooted devices.

2 other poeple made the app to do it before motorolla did, so I'm hoping somebody can still do it for the inc.

FIGGY1682#AC

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
i would love a app for the actual leds to work as a flash light. i use to do the video camera thing on my bb and didnt think i would have the problem with the inc.

crump13

May 12, 2010
Visit site

I'm new to this forum and I actually don't have my Droid Incredible yet (it's on order from vzw) but in the meantime I have been reading this forum which has a load of wonderful information. I have read the term "rooted" on several occasions but I just don't understand what that means. Can someone explain? My current phone is the HTC Touch Pro from Alltel with the slide out keyboard. The Incredible will be my first phone with an onscreen keyboard. I went to the VZW store to test it out before committing to the phone and it worked so well and the phone was so responsive (compared to my Windows based HTC Touch Pro) that I had to take the plunge. :)

Thanks!!

bark8015

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm new to this forum and . . . . I have read the term "rooted" on several occasions but I just don't understand what that means. Can someone explain?

Think of it as Adminstrator's access to the phone's core operating system.

It's installing a version of the Android system that isn't restricted, and allows for loading and unloading system files and writing apps that access hardware that may not be accessible otherwise (like the flash/video light).

Or this, posted in another thread:

Last edited:

wavechaser

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Considering the flash on the DI has the brightness of a thousand burning suns, the flashlight app is going to kick total ass when it is released.

bark8015

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Bark thanks for the explanation. How long does that typically take after launch?

It varies, but it's usually a couple of months. This is my first Android phone, but I don't think I'm going to root it once that comes out. I'm probably technically savvy enough to do so, but I'm lazy.

I never installed leaked OS's on my Blackberry either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty