How often should we reboot/restart our Incredible??

XXXdc5

May 1, 2010
Visit site
So i was thinking the other day, i never turn off my phone unless i really have to (i.e. software update restart). Is this bad or does this matter at all? I know some users prefer to turn their phone off at night or at other times but my phone literally never gets powered down unless, like i said, it really has to.

What is everyone's thoughts and opinions on this?

Should your phone be rebooted every once in a while or does it matter?

Should occasional battery pulls be done?

What are the pros and cons if any with regularly rebooting our phones?

I figured this thread could be used to discussed these different things and what everyone thinks. What do you guys think?

UPDATE and CLIFF NOTES
-Performing a battery pull is not necessary and does not do anything more than a simple off/on would.

-REBOOT is the same as turning your phone off via the button on the top, and then turning it back on again the same way.

-If you are experiencing problems or your phone is having some quirks you can always just reboot it (turn it off and then turn it back on), as this solves a lot of small issues.

-YOUR PHONE IS NOT A BLACKBERRY and by this i mean along with not needing to perform a battery pull, it has been widely discussed and concluded that the task killers are unnecessary and actually do more bad than good

-For what it's worth my experience with Advanced Task Killer: This app was the first thing i installed and was under the impression that it was helping a lot. I also assumed that about 5-10 random "Force Closes" on different apps was a normal thing. I did some research on this forum and others and decided i would try a day with the app NOT installed. I now have a smoother running phone and dont see my apps randomly force closing and crashing like they used to.

Last edited:

terpdog

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Funny, mine sometimes just reboots all on its own. I'm not sure why but it does. I was driving into work this morning and BAM it starts rebooting. I'm debating on if I should get another one sent to me maybe this is a phone problem.

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Funny, mine sometimes just reboots all on its own. I'm not sure why but it does. I was driving into work this morning and BAM it starts rebooting. I'm debating on if I should get another one sent to me maybe this is a phone problem.

That would be a problem for me. Having said that, I do reboot at least every other day. Have done this with every phone I've had since my first RAZR. With my Omnia, I was updating ROMs so much I HAD to soft reset often ;) )

FWIW, just seems to help keep things working right.

Argent

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I only reboot my phone if something decides to start acting wonky or not working

just like the first step in troubleshooting a PC or laptop - have you tried turning it off and on again?

Joker35

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
i only reboot if i have a problem with my phone. only had to do it once with this phone...countless times with my storm though.

VZWBB

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I only reboot my phone if something decides to start acting wonky or not working

just like the first step in troubleshooting a PC or laptop - have you tried turning it off and on again?

Same here. Sometimes if I have apps that force close, after I remove them, I tend to want to reboot. I'm fairly certain its not necessary but I guess coming from windows pc's where you pretty much have to do this whenever you uninstall, it just feels right lol.

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
i'll ask again, is there an actual reboot process or are you talking about just powering down and up again? blackberries for example dont actually reboot when you turn them off and on. you need either a 3rd party app or pull the damn battery (bad flashbacks...)

VZWBB

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes indiana....just powering the phone off and back on again. These things aren't blackberries....

I haven't taken the battery out my phone once. I've seen some threads where people have, but I don't think its necessary.

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
i'll ask again, is there an actual reboot process or are you talking about just powering down and up again? blackberries for example dont actually reboot when you turn them off and on. you need either a 3rd party app or pull the damn battery (bad flashbacks...)

Reboot= turning it off and back on. Also called a soft reset.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Couldn't remember the last soft reset I did so I checked the up time and it looks like mine restarted last night :eek: I only do a soft reset when something is wrong which doesn't happen to often.

XXXdc5

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Looks like we're pretty much all in the same page which is what u was curious about in terms of when everyone reboots (soft reset)

Does anyone have any evidence supporting a different theory???

What about battery pulls? Is this necessary at all?

rayzaname

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Unless it starts acting up, I leave it alone. Even if a reboot is needed, I'm glad a battery pull isn't necessary... *cough* RIM!

HiImSeth

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't think its supposed to do that. :D Taking it back?

I've thought about it. I usually mark it up to user-error (unless it's in the middle of the night). For instance, I'm totally new to android or any type of smart phone at all. I tried to stream the Tour of California today (blocked at work) and the phone got hot and rebooted. Battery was about 113 F or so. Sooo.. should I have not tried to run that? I thought it was cool w/ Flash, but again I'm a freakin noob so I'm probably doing something wrong.

The other times when it has rebooted was kinda weird and unexplained. At night, I'll run Last.Fm and the desk clock as I snooze. I've got up in the morning twice out of the 4 or 5 days I've done this to a rebooted non-music-playing phone. I ran Pandora last night instead and it didn't reboot, I'll try that a couple more days and see what happens. Other than that, I've had some kinda random reboots when I'm using the device - can't recall exactly what I was doing in any of those circumstances.

Anyhow, I bought it through Wirefly. You think I could still take it back to a store and let VZW handle the exchange/return or would I have to go through Wirefly?