11/15/11 OTA GB update - is it safe?!?

Brian_d

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Got a push for the Gingerbread update this AM. With all the half baked problems the last update had, I opted out. Is it safe/ any better this time? Problems?

leozdad

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I too am wondering the same thing.... should i stay or should i go now...:) ...I am waiting until i get some feedback before i click ok

Grettski

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Got a push for the Gingerbread update this AM. With all the half baked problems the last update had, I opted out. Is it safe/ any better this time? Problems?

My wife and I both got the update last night. I originally got it back with the initial push and it messed up my phone pretty good. So far (knock on wood) we haven't had any problems. We both lost a couple apps but it wasn't a big deal at all. So far I really like the update.

Good Luck!

cheeseman057

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I haven't really had problems with this update other than losing some apps, but overall the update made my phone much more smoother and so far my battery has lasted alot longer than usual.

Keldog

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I did the update this morning, no issues so far. I had moved all of my apps back to the phone before I updated, and then let the phone do its thing. I'm getting the typical bugs, like it thinks I have a 4.3" screen, but other than that I can see no difference.

I haven't gotten a Low On Space error since updating.

droidmindy

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Mine updated this morning. The update itself went through fine, in under 15 minutes. Overall I had minor annoying glitches, but it seems to be working fine now.

First annoying thing was the HTC clock/animated weather widget wouldn't show the current weather unless I enabled Google location services - which according to the disclosure is sending back anonymous data about me all the time, yay! :p Maybe that's not new? But I feel like in the past I've never left location services always on, I would just turn it on if I needed it for a specific app. I do loves me my animated weather widget though so privacy be damned I guess. :-[

Second annoying thing is that a bunch of apps disappeared and were replaced with the generic Android icons. Eventually I read on here to unmount and remount the SD card, and they were back. No problems with the phone apps.

Third annoying thing is that I cannot master the new cut/copy paste using the teardrop shaped slider. I liked the old version where you could select text with the optical trackpad, I felt like it allowed more precision if I just wanted to select a few letters. Maybe I just need more practice.

Otherwise, phone, texting, calendars, address book, etc. all seem to be working so far. I haven't noticed any major differences in terms of function or battery yet, but it's only been about 8 hours and I turn off data/wifi when I'm at work anyway.

Last edited:

Stormhead77

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Updated this morning and am not experiencing any issues. I can't get over how quickly the phone boots up now! Looks like all of my apps are present and accounted for. Browser is a bit snappier as well. Knocking on wood as well, but so far so good.

Strygun

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I received the OTA today and went from 2.2 to 2.3.4. It seems to be working just fine, no problems at all. It boots up much faster than it used to, for sure.

The only thing I don't like is the sound the volume rocker makes when adjusting volume - that was a terrible idea. Other than that... it's a good update.

Does anyone know where to find a general change log so I can see everything (or at least, major features) that changed?

wstevenj

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I got my update last night. After much anticipation I had to say, "WTF?" "Is this it?" I don't know exactly what I was expecting but certainly more than a few cosmetic changes like a different shade of green on the little email notification or the way the clock flips.

NHBass39

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I did mine today and now something is killing my battery life. I had it off the charger for 3 hours and it was at 71 percent. Any ideas? I had no problems till the update?

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
If you got notified of the update and said remind me later - then don't take the update. If you got the update in the first round a few months ago then you did not likely get the "patch." So no problem there. They are going to release a new update that has everything in one file. I don't know what they were thinking about pushing the pulled update and then patching it. They should have done it as one from the beginning

As far as safety of the patch goes, it's safe, just the screen size ms-report and the Sprint market issue really. Neither of which are tragic, just annoying.

For those who are having battery issues or any other performance issues, the first thing to do is start clearing cache in all your apps. If that does not fix it and you can't narrow down which app is draining the battery you might have to do a reset. There are a bunch of posts outlining how to backup your data before doing that.

My Wife has been running the OTA since I manually downloaded it during Round 1 and she has had no issues at all. If she was having any, I would have heard about it! ;)

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
If you got notified of the update and said remind me later - then don't take the update. If you got the update in the first round a few months ago then you did not likely get the "patch." So no problem there. They are going to release a new update that has everything in one file. I don't know what they were thinking about pushing the pulled update and then patching it. They should have done it as one from the beginning

As far as safety of the patch goes, it's safe, just the screen size ms-report and the Sprint market issue really. Neither of which are tragic, just annoying.

For those who are having battery issues or any other performance issues, the first thing to do is start clearing cache in all your apps. If that does not fix it and you can't narrow down which app is draining the battery you might have to do a reset. There are a bunch of posts outlining how to backup your data before doing that.

My Wife has been running the OTA since I manually downloaded it during Round 1 and she has had no issues at all. If she was having any, I would have heard about it! ;)

Do you know whether folks who received the update in the last 24 hours will be receiving the patch?

jcrome04

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I got ota alert this morning. I started the update. It counted down to 7 from 10 and just disappeared... Back to home screen like it never happened. And I can't get it back.

Tmac77

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Woke up this morning and saw my phone was finally ready for the upgrade to 2.3.4! however, I didn't want to do it till i got home this evening, so I kept hitting the "Upgrade Later" button. Well, I got home and i am no longer getting the message for the upgrade. when I check the Settings -> About Phone -> System updates, it says my system is up to date. but when i look at the software info, it says Android version 2.2. Where did my update go and how do i get it back? (Turning the phone off and on did not help) :(

Thanks!
Tmac
(a droid newbie)

donut

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I got the notification to update, I accepted but it didn't install because it said I didn't have enough storage. Did this happen to anyone?

silentbobdrummer

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I got the notification to update, I accepted but it didn't install because it said I didn't have enough storage. Did this happen to anyone?

Same thing just happened to me. And I;m only using 250MB of internal storage...

I cleared up some space but can't get the update message.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy